• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter - en espanol

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Almost unbelievable! I'm torn between hoping it isn't true, which would make the photo and story even worse; and knowing that if it is accurate, those who promoted and voted for the new law are responsible for causing untold suffering to horses while doing severe economic harm to a (previously) thriving US horse industry.

Those of us living in wide open spaces with little real security or surveillance of our 'back' pastures had better brace ourselves for the certain to come dumping of unwanted horses. It already has been happening in some states, Kentucky and Tennessee that we've heard about.

I read that the SD Brand Board is considering stopping inspection requirements for horses LEAVING the brand area. I think that probably would be ok, but we sure do need inspections of horses comint INTO the inspection area to help control dumping of horses.

Virtually unnoticed in this issue is any consideration for people in the USA putting food some people enjoy and may even need as a source of protein on a 'forbidden' list. Such arrogance and 'nanny-ism' is downright dangerous to another of the freedoms to which human beings have a right: choosing what to eat, and choosing to conduct several businesses which, but for the US Congress, has been and would be legal.

mrj

Question for Question??

So you are monitoring my computer!!

hows your quarterly return look since the banning of horse slaughter in the U.S.??? Are you making more money than before??

How do we know that your not one of "THEM" ??

just because a person might be paranoid doesn't necessarily mean someones NOT out to get them!!!

That's what you want-- all of us on mind numbing drugs so that we're unable to think for ourselves!!! Are you invested in drug companies too??

gotta go--- I hear the helicopters coming-- the stealth mode must be broken!!!

Oldtimer said:
Don't worry Willie and Bo are working on it- :wink: :( :( :mad: - trying to get shipping horses to Canada and to Mexico banned-- so none can end up in slaughter...
You're right about that, OT. Some Congressmen are saying it's not likely to happen this year, though:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5180050.html

Lonecowboy said:
P.S.

if you guys don't ever hear from me again you can then assume that my theory was correct.
"Big Brother" was monitoring my computer and sent a black helicopter for me.
CNN will write it up as another "freeman" kook in an isolated cabin in Montana having a standoff with Federal Authorities.
8) That is what I meant to say,(good job)

Even if they ban the transport of horses into Mexico and Canada for slaughter, who's to say people won't ship them out as "non-slaughter" horses, only to have a slaughter house buy them in a second transaction. DUH!

Maybe flooding Bo Derek's and Willie Nelson's web-sites with our thoughts would help.

This country is going crazy. I got a letter from my auto insurance company telling me about their new "Pet Injury Coverage Endorsement". Basically it says they will pay for pet loss/veterinarian care for any animals killed or injured in a collision. The effort to humanize animals seems to only get worse. SCARY!

This article was in the Houston Texas newspaper last week. It's a shame and a crime to let this happen. Everyone who has ever been involved with selling horses knew this was coming. I know some people hate to hear it, but I've had horses that needed killing !!! Now, having said that, NO ANIMAL DESERVES TO DIE LIKE THAT!!! Mexico has a long history of this kind of behavior toward animals of all kinds. This is behavior from people who never had the luxury of having an animal for a "pet", I remember my ol granpa selling the family horse when she got to old to work, no soft feelings for her, she had to work if she wanted to be fed. He wasn't mean, just had too many kids to feed. Sorry, I think I slipped off my soapbox there for a minute.
Someone tell me, who do I send this too ?? Who do I yell at and make them see what the "save the horses" movement has turned into !! It started with them trying to save the mustangs from being sent to slaughter and now has become it's own monster, I'm just sick about it and as I sit here crying, I want to do something, anything ..................
There is too much suffering in this world, lets try to stop any that we can

I just got through e-mailing my senators and congressmen, and sending e-mails to all my friends. They have to stop the shipping of these horses across the borders. I know that something has to be done with all the unwanted horses, and as far as I'm concerned, humane slaughter is a good alternative, like what we used to have here, in this country.
If any of you want to , thats something you could do. I remember working at the stockyards, back in the stone ages, when a killer truck came in to rest and water the horses. A little sorrel mare was trying to have a colt but was crammed in so tight she couln't lay day. After the driver got the other horses off, we got her out and put her in a pen so she could deliver her foal. Of course it was dead, and when the driver tried to put her back on the truck, we called the local sheriff and they came out and stopped him, so it wasn't always good here either. I've bought more than one off the truck, because he was down and being stomped.
. I'm not some bleeding heart do-gooder, but some things are just wrong and sometimes you've got to be the one to stand up and say so.
P.J.
not so happy trails for some of these ol pards...........

WyomingRancher said:
Even if they ban the transport of horses into Mexico and Canada for slaughter, who's to say people won't ship them out as "non-slaughter" horses, only to have a slaughter house buy them in a second transaction. DUH!

Maybe flooding Bo Derek's and Willie Nelson's web-sites with our thoughts would help.

This country is going crazy. I got a letter from my auto insurance company telling me about their new "Pet Injury Coverage Endorsement". Basically it says they will pay for pet loss/veterinarian care for any animals killed or injured in a collision. The effort to humanize animals seems to only get worse. SCARY!

I'm just wondering what they think will happen to rank or old horses if they ban the transport?

Daily News Update, Oct. 9, 2007

AVMA addresses consequences of horse-processing ban

Efforts to shut down horse processing plants in the United States have led to increased abandonment and neglect of horses in this country and the inhumane death of horses in Mexico, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).

Dr. Mark Lutschaunig, director of the AVMA Governmental Relations Division, says that the AVMA, far from being pro-horse slaughter, opposes bills banning slaughter because there are no provisions to take care of the more than 100,000 horses that go unwanted annually in the United States.

"If they think that by passing one of these bills they'll get rid of the problem of unwanted horses, they're simply fooling themselves," Dr. Lutschaunig said.

Efforts by groups calling for an end to horse slaughter, such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), have led to the closure of the three remaining processing plants in the United States. Now, as the AVMA has repeatedly warned, horses are being abandoned in the United States or transported to Mexico where, without U.S. federal oversight and veterinary supervision, they are slaughtered inhumanely.

"The reality is, the HSUS has done nothing to address the real issue here, and, in fact, by seeking to ban horse slaughter, they have made things significantly worse," said Dr. Lutschaunig. "If they really wanted to do something productive to improve the welfare of horses, they would address the issue of unwanted horses in the United States."

Even if a bill passes banning the transport of horses for slaughter, it would be nearly impossible to enforce. Such a law could easily be circumvented by transporting and selling horses as "working" or "pleasure" horses, only to have them end up in an unregulated foreign slaughter facility.

"The AVMA does not support horse slaughter," Dr. Lutschaunig said. "Ideally, we would have the infrastructure in this country to adequately feed and care for all horses. But the sad reality is that we have a number of horses that, for whatever reason, are unwanted. Transporting them under USDA supervision to USDA-regulated facilities where they are humanely euthanized is a much better option than neglect, starvation, or an inhumane death in Mexico."

With the drought here the sale barn in Knightstown is having horses left there. People bring them in and no buyers so the slae barn will keep them from the Saturday sale till Tuesday when there is a horse only sale in Rushville and sell them there where most go to Canada for slaughter.

In the last couple of months probably 5 to 10 a week meet this fate. The original owner will not take their horses to the sale in Rushville as they want to see that they go to a good home but the reality is there are many more horses in the area than there are people wanting them.

Is there a good answer for this problem??? It seems a lot of children dream of having a horse and when they get the money they buy one or more then the reallity of care and feeding come up and the horses are not cared for. We are constantly having people arrested for starving their animals and I feel this is a growing problem.

Last winter someone dumped many (about 20) down on Turnerville (deer Creek & Fawn Lake) - seems fair enough to me.

Its just stupid to cut accross the Pine Ridge to go to Rapid City because of all the abandoned horses that are lose.

Last week Gordon and Rushville had horse sales with meat horses topping out at $.45 for the best ones - the Canadian buyers had the juice.

Brad S said:
Its just stupid to cut accross the Pine Ridge to go to Rapid City because of all the abandoned horses that are loose.

This is nothing new, it has always been that way. Driving home at night, there are always deer and horses to worry about. It might not be that the horses are abandoned, it is just that fences are not always the best and there is a lot of "free grazing" to be had in the road ditches.

Soapweed, you mean sombody wants those scudders on the rez back? one guy I met in Gordon told me, "if you ain't seen something yet, you will on the rez." When we went through White Clay on the way back from Rapid, I told Michelle not to look back or she'd risk turning into a piller of salt. Michelle doesn't like any jokes with a Biblical referance.

could anyone tell me how to make the link work? I keep getting an error message. I wanted to post this to someone and it wont link properly. thanks

this is what I tried to send. thanks again

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5175642.html

Latest posts