• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

reader (the Second) said:
I don't know enough about all the circumstances. However any place that has only a few horses that it has until a ripe old age owes the horses a peaceful death. Being shipped to a slaughter house can't be pleasant, even if the death is humane. It may be that these slaughter plants make sense because there are places with scores of horses, I just can't imagine a place like that since to my mind horses are for riding - one rider, one animal.

I understand the fear of animal rights wackos, but I do not share it. Any more than I share the belief held by many pro abortion people that the right to life wackos who bomb abortion clinics are the main voice of the right to life groups. There are fringe nuts on every issue, they do not control the law of the land.
Rescues are not good enough for some, but slaughter is. I can't argue with that type of rationale. An owner can still euthanise their horse. Period. the bill 503 does not change that right.
The purpose of the bill is to have owners think of other options form their horses which include rescues, but which could also include euthanising those animals, keeping them, selling them to private owners as opposed to kill buyers.
When horse slaughter ceases to exist, the majority of owners will abide by the law and humanely euthanize their horses. Backyard breeders that currently breed unwanted horses will have to learn what a marketable horse is curtail their breeding or humanely euthanize.
I also think some trainers contribute to the mindset of disposable horses. When the non pro has problems with a horse because of lack of horsemanship on their part a lot of trainers use this as a way of selling them another horse.

Most of our kids will end up having to pack us off to a nursing home sooner or later-that won't be very pleasant either after years of faithful service. Our efforts should be focused on making their final journey as humane and safe as possible. There's a big differeance between letting the odd old faithful horse live out their days in peace and executing a 100,000 or so a year that are no longer useful-ninety percent of using horses aren't papered or professionally trained or what have you. I've bought some pretty damn good horse from backyard breeders and seen some pretty dismal wrecks from the proffessional ranks. No matter where the horse is bred or raised it deserves the same care when it's days are done. I think Faster Horses nailed it pretty close.

Talk on another Site Moved Here

Here's what happens in Nevada on BLM ground. USFS grounds have horses, but their policy and practices are a tad different than BLM, so let's just deal with BLM for now.

As you're about to find out, the BLM is like every other bureaucracy in that they love their acronyms.

The BLM lands in Nevada have "Horse Management Areas" -- these are areas that outline specific areas used by various known horse herds, or are areas where herds tend to roam for most of the year before moving into another HMA.

Every HMA has what is known as a "AML" -- appropriate management level, or what you could think of as a target horse population, based on the carrying capacity of the area, wildlife and cattle uses of the same area. NB that HMA's don't coincide exactly with grazing allotments; matter of fact, a single HMA typically has several grazing areas within it.

OK, so let's assume we have a HMA with a AML of 200 horses. The BLM typically waits until the horse population is from 100 to 600% over the AML (say, 400 to 1200 horses) and people are screaming at the idiots in the BLM to do something, then the BLM puts out a proposed gather plan and a EIS (environmental impact statement), the horse-besotted women then file a lawsuit challenging the horse gather plan, the BLM responds, the IBLA or federal court responds and the horse gather happens.

The shortcut is if someone flicks their Bic, or we get a lightening strike, starts a rangeland fire that burns over a HMA or a substantial part of it, then the BLM gets to do an "Emergency Gather" and shortcut some of the nonsense, because the poor widdle horses might start while trying to eat dry ashes.

Previously, the BLM tried to gather only the horses they thought had a reasonable chance of being adopted. Mind you, I'm not a horse rider, I don't even like horses all that much (with the exception of draft horses), but mustangs older than about three years old can't be taught nothin'. You might as well adopt 'em and shoot them as soon as you unload them and save yourself the trouble, expense and injury you'll sustain by trying to train them to ride. Young mustangs can be trained up.

Well, the horse-besotted women sued the BLM, claiming the BLM was discriminating against older horses, blah, blah, blah. So now the BLM is forced to pull in a cross-section of horses, including old broken nags that no one will want to adopt unless they're sending the horse straight to the kill plant. Now that this is no longer an option (thanks again to the horse-besotted women), mustang holding centers in places like Palamino (north of Reno, NV), and Susanville (further north of Reno on US-395, in California) and so on have large numbers of horses older than three years build up. The BLM can't kill these horses, they can't turn them back out, so here is what all you taxpayers are doing:

You're paying a contractor (who bids for the contract) to pasture these stupid horses. Part of pasturing involves making sure these horses have veternary care. These horses need to have fences that aren't barbed wire, is at least six feet high, only has a density of a few horses per acre, etc, etc. In short, for mustangs, they've gone to the promised land and then some. On your taxpayer money, I might add.

I'm told by contractors who have won the bid as well as BLM employees that the winning bids tend to be around $3 per head per day.

There are, last I looked, at least 14,000 mustangs in the pasturing system, and the number is growing by leaps and bounds every year. This pasturing started around 2001.

Here's an interesting factoid for all y'all in states where you aren't blessed with "wild horses" -- the reproductive rate of horses, when you look at a whole herd out on the range, with no care, is at least a 17% increase per year, sometimes in the low 20's when the feed is really good. This means that in five to six years, the number of horses in any given HMA typically doubles.

This means that you taxpayers are coughing up plenty of money every year to bring in a contractor to NV, UT, CA, ID, WY and round these stupid horses up, ship them to the processing areas like Palamino and Susanville, then run an adoption program on them, and then pay for some bureaucrat to check up on the adoptors and make sure that Black Velvet hasn't been turned into Alpo. On the range, the expected lifespan for a mustang is, oh, 10 to 12 years.

In captivity, on fat pasture, with vet care -- what's a horse lifespan? 25 years plus? Talk about taking a bad problem and making it worse. Feh.

This, people, is your tax dollars at work. All because some estrogen-crazed females let their emotions take control of their judgement on these animals. The lack of judgement isn't limited to the good horses -- it encompasses a huge lapse of judgement in what benefits the horses as well, like herd genetics. When you look at some of these horses, I swear, the most humane thing anyone could do for the horse in question as well as the soundness of the herd genetics is to step out onto the range with a M1 Garand or a M1A and start shooting. Some of these horses have genetics that make them look like freaks from Mars -- huge heads, short necks, stubby legs, etc. We call these miscreants "hammerheads" and when you've never seen one, you don't understand why. The first time you see one, you understand why the name fits perfectly. They don't need to be rounded up. They simply need to be shot on sight.

Before she passed away in '98, my dear mother was one woman who believed all thise idiotic propaganda surrounding the mustangs -- how the ranchers were starving these hooved rats out of existance, how endangered they are, blah, blah, blah. These "wild horse annie" groups know their audience(s) -- horse-loving women from back east and urban areas that really don't know jack about horses, even tho they own horses.

I put a stop to this when I offered to send Mom as many mustangs as she wanted -- I'd pay all expenses to make them appear in Orange County, NY, where she had her horses. She was speechless -- "How could you do that?" "Well, Ma, I just go up to Palamino, pick out as many as will fit in a horse trailer or, better yet, on a cattle trailer I hire to take 'em out to you, and pay the BLM about $125 per head, then pay the hauler and they'll show up at your place. How many ya want? 10, 20? A cattle trucker tells me he could haul 30 coast-to-coast, and do it for $4,000. For less than $6,000, I can inject a load of mustangs into ya as soon as you give the word. When ya want them?"

There was silence on the other end of the phone. Never heard another word about mustangs after that.

Here's the Nevada BLM's page of sorry idiocy on horses:

http://dcnr.nv.gov/nrp01/bio10.htm

I try to manage my horse herd so that there are never any horses around that are in poor condition. Most of our horses are for sale at the right price. After they get to be middle age (10 on up), I try to sell them so someone else can watch them grow old. They are worth quite a bit of money at this stage of their life, and it is an excellent time to capitalize on that value. This is also an excellent time to go on with a younger model, get the work done, and have something well broke and very saleable again in a few years.

Once in a while an old favorite or two gets to stay on a bit longer. One of my old favorite horses was a paint that I traded for when he was three. When he was eighteen, a family needed a good barrel racing horse for a twelve-year-old daughter. This horse was catty, super cowy, and fast. He could turn around a barrel as well as he could turn a cow. I valued the horse at a thousand dollars (a pretty good price for an eighteen-year-old horse in 1988). These folks had a nice two-seated buggy that they had restored, and they valued it at a thousand dollars. We traded straight across. My father-in-law chastised me, and said, "Oh, don't trade for a buggy. They deteriorate awful fast."

I countered with, "Well, what about eighteen-year-old horses. They also tend to deteriorate pretty rapidly." Anyway, the trade was made and both parties were happy. I still have the buggy, and think of my old paint horse every time I hook it up. The other people used the horse for a few years, and sold him to someone else. I never did know what happened to the horse, but he went to a good home when I sold him. My conscience was and is clear. My memories of the horse are many, and they are all of him in prime physical condition. If he had been around until he died, I would have had to watch him get skinny and suffer, and memories of him in that condition would have almost overpowered the more pleasant early memories. He ended up dead (as we all will), and I doubt if he suffered any more the way things turned out than he inevitably would have if he'd died on our ranch of old age and the infirmities and suffering that go with it.

My point is that horses are animals. They are not people. Yes, you can get attached to animals, but keep a grip on reality. Treat them humanely and with kindness when they are under your ownership and supervision. Horse owners can't be expected to continue owning every horse for the duration of its life. How could a guy ever experience the satisfaction of a horse trade if this were the case? For any living thing, a swift humane death beats a long suffering death every time, no matter how the cards are cut.

I see now why the 4 wheel quad has replaced the horse.No one cares what another does with their quad once it tires.Or as one gentlemen said time to trade it for a newer one and cut the deprecation( a business decision).If all horses become pets their use becomes moot. Selling them to young girls to barrel race seems to me like the right decision was made for both the horses original owner.its now new owner and most importantly the horse it self.Good on ya for letting your old friend run again. :)

About wild horses in Alberta
We have them and they are not a problem. The numbers are kept low because hunters or land owners or anybody with a gun on government land or who has permission to be on private land can shoot them year round with out the need for any permits. Combine this with lots of preditors and the numbers stay low.
I like this method better than the blm way that you described.

You know Americans tend to have a reputation for guns and shooting. Im starting to think this rep is false because it seems like more stuff gets shot up here than in your country.
Shooting wild horses in my oppinion is the most humane option to manage them and THEY HAVE TO BE MANAGED.

<<Faster horses>We have too many people who don't understand the problem trying to rule on it.>>

I agree :lol:

<<No one has mentioned that horses can be the worst grazing animal there is as far as damaging pasture. They have teeth at the top and the bottom of their mouth and they can graze grass down right to the dirt. >>

Thats right, teeth on the top and bottom. Plus they are wired different than cows and built different<thin skinned>. What happens when you crowd a bunch of strange horses together and grain them up? Just my oppinion but when the time comes /put them down with a bullet or a vet. Thats way better than this foreign horse slaughter thing. If you guys ban it down there then its going to help us get it banned up here.
BTW My understanding is that its only 1% of American horses that go to slaughter. If these outfits are banned I cant really see it making that much difference if thats the case.

http://lists.envirolink.org/pipermail/ar-news/Week-of-Mon-20030818/005280.html
SHELBY MT.-- Seven to 8 inches of cold rain had poured down on the Bar S
horse feedlot east of town a week and a half before state livestock
investigators Larry Elings and Ernie McCaffree arrived on the scene
on June 20, 2002.

The investigators were acting on a tip. Trudging along the muddy
paths of the feedlot, they videotaped the grim evidence they were
warned they would find: dead horses, 35 to 40 of them rotting in pens
after drowning or suffocating in up to 3 feet of soggy manure.

Four horses still were breathing but in such poor shape they needed
to be euthanized, Elings later wrote in a report. At the back of the
property he and McCaffree found the carcasses of 20 to 25 dead horses
stacked in an open pit.
The Bar S goes to trial this fall on charges of cruelty to animals in
connection with that incident. But its problems didn't begin there.

State records indicate a pattern of negligent conditions at the
feedlot tucked off Benjamin Road, behind the railroad tracks, just
out of sight to motorists on Highway 2.
The feedlot and the slaughterhouse both are owned by Bouvry Exports
Calgary.

The Tribune sued the Department of Livestock earlier this year to
obtain public inspection records about the Bar S. They chronicle a
laundry list of concerns about the feedlot:

* The Bar S was overcrowded. At times, as many as 2,200 horses were
squeezed into exposed pens on three dusty acres.<im thinking that must be a typo?>
* The feedlot employed only a couple of workers to shovel manure out
of the pens and treat sick and dying horses. Horses too unhealthy to
be kept alive were often left standing.
* Instead of sorting horses by gender, the Bar S corralled mares and
studs together, prompting frequent fights and resulting in numerous
injuries.
* Pregnant horses were forced to give birth in pens where they were
unprotected from bigger horses. Newborn colts and foals often were
trampled to death.
* The Bar S failed repeatedly to brand incoming horses as a way of
signifying that they had not been tested for Equine Infectious
Anemia, a contagious and incurable disease, and needed to be kept in
a quarantine facility.

For at least six years, McCaffree raised red flags about the Bar S.
"This place is not a wreck waiting to happen, it is a wreck
happening," he protested of the Bar S in a June 6, 1997, memo to
Department of Livestock Executive Officer Marc Bridges. "What goes on
around this place after hours would probably scare a person to death."
"I believe this Bar S feedlot is a substandard animal handling
operation," he wrote Clyde Huseby, the livestock enforcement
program. "I would suggest that if either the community of Shelby or
the general horse-sale-supplying public knew of the risks and
conditions at Bar S that the operation would simply not be tolerated
in its present condition."

Even Hardee Clark, the Shelby veterinarian who issues health
certificates for Bar S horses about to be shipped to Canada,voiced
concerns about the feedlot's husbandry practices. In addition to the
existing list of issues, he believes some horses get overlooked when
shipments are selected and consequently may languish in the feedlot
for a year or more.

Soapweed said:
CattleRMe said:
Bravo Soapweed!

Sorry to hear that your dad broke his leg. Hope he is getting along okay.

Thank you Soapweed. He is lol getting bored. He has plates, screws, and pins holding it all together it took two incisions on both sides of his leg and they doctors say 6 months to heal :shock:!

The surrounding communities have been great to offer to help with fall cattle work but now we are to the point the cows are no problem but can you play crib? :)

Bob_Frapples said:
I see now why the 4 wheel quad has replaced the horse.No one cares what another does with their quad once it tires.Or as one gentlemen said time to trade it for a newer one and cut the deprecation( a business decision).If all horses become pets their use becomes moot. Selling them to young girls to barrel race seems to me like the right decision was made for both the horses original owner.its now new owner and most importantly the horse it self.Good on ya for letting your old friend run again. :)

Good analogy Bob.

Latest posts