• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I reread some of your posts. I guess you were not all baiting me like I thought you where when I first read them.
Okay this<me> is silly. I dont have anything against farmers. Some of my friends are farmers. A lot of my friends have to do some farming. I have nothing against farmers! I just bought grass cubes this morning that came indirectly from a farmer. When I was younger I used to farm<well make hay if that counts>.
Its just frustrating trying to stand up for what I believe in which is horses are not dim witted stock like a chicken or something. I know a lot of you think quite a bit of your dogs. To me horses mean the same thing!
I just dont know how in the heck I could ever get you to understand?
This commercial horse slaughter ban will in all probability get passed eventually. Even if it doesnt go through this time it will come up again.
This is not going to hurt the beef industry. The ones of you who are in it will still be in it.
It appears that the acreage owner horse type is turning out to be the best friend of the horse. Even though he doesnt really owe the horse anything. Not like the guys who make their living from him. Those are the vones who you would think would stand up for him?

Here is another thought since I cant seem to think of anything else lately except this issue.
PMU is about done for. This was a major factor in unwanted horses.
There are all kinds of animal rescue places that will take your unwanted horse free of charge.
Also this commercial horse slaughter ban is being lead by a republican so I dont see how this makes me a twinkle toed commie. Although lots of democrats support the bill as well because most polls show that the average Joe public does not consider horses as livestock. Most people support the ban of these foriegn owned horse slaughter plants.

http://www.saplonline.org/news/texarkana.htm

(August 10, 2006) - Just days after a committee of the U.S. House of Representatives tried to kill legislation aimed at curtailing commercial horse slaughter in the United States, a Mississippi man hauling 19 horses to a Texas slaughterhouse has been charged with animal cruelty involving horses in Arkansas.

Bryan Morgan of Belmont, MS was charged with five counts of animal cruelty under Arkansas state law in Texarkana this week after eyewitness testimony, photographs and video showed 19 horses being transported in a single trailer to the BelTex slaughterhouse in Fort Worth were badly injured and abused.

"This only further demonstrates the immediate need for my legislation to be passed and signed into law," said Rep. John Sweeney (R-NY), who with Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) and Rep. Ed Whitfield (R-KY) is leading the fight to outlaw horse slaughter. "This is a perfect example of why I am so committed to seeing an end to this brutal practice as quickly as possible."

Although it is what one congressional witness, Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens, called "America's dirty little secret," some 90,000 horses are hauled to three U.S. slaughterhouses in Texas and Illinois each year and butchered for human consumption, with the meat exported to Europe and Asia and sold as a delicacy in high end restaurants.

"If there were any doubt that the horse slaughter industry leads to cruelty and abuse of horses, this erases it with graphic reality," said Chris Heyde, deputy legislative director of the Society for Animal Protective Legislation (SAPL), based in Washington, D.C. The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (H.R. 503) is scheduled to be voted on by the House of Representatives in early September.

In the Arkansas case, Morgan picked up the horses in Mississippi and was driving to Fort Worth when the trailer he was pulling blew two tires and forced him to stop in Texarkana for repairs. Employees at the shop called local police after noticing several horses had abrasions and marks across their faces and bodies, including one with facial gashes and swollen eyes.

"It looked like someone took a baseball bat and beat the hell out of the horse," said Greg Fett, manager of GCR Tires in Texarkana.

Twenty citations for animal cruelty were initially written by local police, after which Morgan was allowed to drive the horses on to the slaughterhouse. This incident illustrates how woefully inadequate the regulations of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) are in ensuring the humane treatment of horses being transported to slaughter facilities.

"The local police in Texarkana were particularly diligent in this situation," said SAPL legal counsel Tracy Silverman. "Often we just never hear about these cases and thankfully responsible citizens alerted authorities to the severely injured animals."

At a hearing before the House Agriculture Committee on July 28, Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) condemned the legislation that would stop commercial horse slaughter as an unwarranted intrusion on the rights of horse owners. The committee allowed the bill to go to the House floor for a vote, but only after deriding it as unnecessary and unfair to horse owners.

SAPL will assist in the prosecution of Morgan and is filing a formal complaint with the USDA against Robbie Solomon of Belmont, MS, the owner and shipper of the horses, for violating several federal regulations regarding the commercial transportation of horses to slaughter.

///

RoperAB said:
It appears that the acreage owner horse type is turning out to be the best friend of the horse. Even though he doesnt really owe the horse anything. Not like the guys who make their living from him. Those are the vones who you would think would stand up for him?

"Not like the guys who make their living from him. Those are the ones who you would think would stand up for him?"

I don't like cruelty to horses or to any other animal, and that is precisely the reason that we need a way to dispose of unusable horses. If the old horses are worth money, and worth more if they are unbruised, unblemished, fat, etc., people will take care to see that they come through the process quickly and unharmed.

Sure, you are a caring individual who can shoot your own horse if he needs put down. I am, too, and I've done it on a few occasions. You would be surprised to learn that most horse owners probably can't do this dastardly deed themselves. They will have to pay for someone else to do it. They will procrastinate as long as possible. The old horse will get thin and suffer. Some folks won't have the necessary cash to hire the project done. Neglect and suffering of horses will run rampant, but by gosh, everyone will have "feely good" thoughts because they sure were above selling a horse to a packing plant. Dream on.

Besides, the way it is now, people can dispose of their old worn-out horses any way they see fit. I feel my personal rights are being violated if you say that I can't sell my old horses in the way that I see fit.

Ok, I guess I have to put my two bits worth into this one. As Soapweed says, this is a private property rights issue plain and simple. The bunny huggers know that most of us think of horses as more than livestock, they are also friends, co-workers, sometimes part of the family, so the animal rights people think that they can split us on this issue just as they have done here on this forum. With us divided, they will win. When they win this one then they will start after some other agenda, sow crates, confinement feeding, all of the things they hate and they will have momentum going for them.
Just my personal opinion, no one should own a horse or a dog unless they have the intestinal fortitude to do the deed if needed to end the suffering. I have wished more than once that I could turn an old horse out into a large pasture and they would not come back. Seldom ever happens without a lot of pain on their part, followed by pain on my part.

Soapweed said:
Sure, you are a caring individual who can shoot your own horse if he needs put down. I am, too, and I've done it on a few occasions. You would be surprised to learn that most horse owners probably can't do this dastardly deed themselves. They will have to pay for someone else to do it. They will procrastinate as long as possible. The old horse will get thin and suffer. Some folks won't have the necessary cash to hire the project done. Neglect and suffering of horses will run rampant, but by gosh, everyone will have "feely good" thoughts because they sure were above selling a horse to a packing plant. Dream on.

I never would have thought of that :(
Im tired, im about to go to bed :( But this whole thing is just awful everyway I think about it. Seems like horses lose :(
I know all about what a lot of the acreage crowd is like. Full of good intentions, love the horses but then out lack of knowledge, well I wouldnt want to be a horse and be owned by them.
Then you got the horse show crowd. Aged events :(
I could give lots of in between examples :(
What ever happened to starting 4year olds? What ever happened to taking pride in your horsemanship? Whats wrong with young people, you would think they would want and appreciate the action that only a good bronc can give them? I cant understand how so many can just be satisfied with just barely getting a long the way they do with there horses.
Why is everybody so extreme when it comes to horses?
Had a Grandmother at my place the other day. She eyed my Bridle on the wall and gave me a big lecture about my spade bit. Tried to explain to her but she had no idea what I was talking about. Others think im a son of a bitch for wearing spurs. They dont understand but they mean well. Then there are others who only have horses because they have to use them for certain things. There again the horse loses :(
I dont know what the answer is for sure except that it seems like the horse is damned either way :( I cant find the words to describe how revolting I find this. I just wish that people who were not for what ever reason able to put some serious effort into their horsemanship would just stick to riding quads or motorbikes.
The whole damn horse industry sucks for the most part :(
Good Night :(

Here is another way of looking at the issue. I know that it is almost considered "immoral" to look at the dollars and "sense" part of the issue, but it is a big one. If this ban of the horse processing industry goes through, it will cost everyone a lot of money. This includes any horse owner, breeder, user, and worst of all, the American taxpayer, most of whom think they are completely uninvolved. Believe me, they are not. We all should be aware of what will happen when dear old Uncle Sam gets his grubby little fingers messing in the pot.

Okay, we might stick our head in the sand and subconciously believe that horses will live a happy healthy life and live forever if only we can prevent them from going to a processing plant when they become unusable. Shake yourself, and think just a bit. What will become of these horses when the owner no longer wants them? Here comes good old Uncle Sam, white beard waving in the wind, galloping to the rescue on a bony nag. He can't even feed his own bony nag, but he magnanimously opens his wallet, that is hooked to a siphon hose connected to every taxpaying American's pocket-book, and says, "Bring your old abused unusable horses to me. I'll take care of them."

Feedlots will be put into place that will care for all of these old worn-out horses. The American taxpayer will pick up the tab.

For horse owners, we will lose all the way around. Our unusable horses will no longer be worth any money. If one starts to suffer, it will be our responsibiliy to have it put down, and then we will have to pay to have it hauled away. (This will really become a problem if our guns get taken away.) The horses that go to these government sponsored "retirement homes" will, in real terms, be admitted into a prison and the key will be thrown away. Do you have any idea what the cost of this will be? Besides the real cost of the perpetual feed and care, don't forget that there will be fraud involved in this aspect. Some members of the good old boys' club will be able to charge double or triple the "actual" cost of caring for these horses, because that is what happens when the government gets involved.

Look at the fiasco of the American mustang. What a burden to society that program has become. The American public, ranchers, horse enthusiasts, and yes, the American Mustang himself, would all be better off with the way things used to be. Even after bucco-bucks are spent caring for these unusable horses, they still die. They just can't live forever. A periodic culling is necessary with any livestock species, and horses are no different.

The system is not all that bad just the way it is. Anyone wanting to own an old favorite horse until it dies has that freedom. There is opportunity to sell unusable horses for money. The horses might have an unpleasant day or two, but they are mercifully killed, slaughtered, and the carcass has value in the form of meat and useful by-products. There are laws on the books that regulate humane treatment of these horses. These laws are enough, as long as they are monitored. Best of all, horse owners have personal propery rights and can do what they wish with unusable horses. The government is not involved. Let's keep it this way. Let's not try to fix something that ain't broke, and end up breaking it big-time in the process.

I dont see this slippery slope thing ever going to that kind of extreme. It just wouldnt make any sense. You see I dont understand why it has to go to one extreme to the next. No protection for horses on the one hand or then all this government interference on the other. Horses are not stock like cattle but there not pets either. A government feedlot retirement home or whatever you want to call it would be just as bad as a slaughter plant feedlot.
Like my horses are not running wild in the hills but they all have a job. They are being trained everyday. They like there job. They literally sort of fight one another a bit to be the first to the gate because they know the first to the gate gets rode first. My horses catch me. I dont catch them.
I couldnt turn my colts out with cows in a pasture. Haha They would chase <cut> cows all day on there own.
Horses either should be running free with other horses or have a job<training>. They need stimulation.
But about the wild horses.
Im completely against going back to the commercial live hunting them <chasing them> with motorized vehicles and hauling them to slaughter.
Yes they have to be managed. Manage them like any other game animal. They should be culled with a rifle. Its simple.
Adoption programs might not work because I suspect most of the people adopting them could not handle them. Although down in the States dont the have a program where prisoners train these horses before they are adopted out?

RoperAB said:
Horses either should be running free with other horses or have a job<training>. They need stimulation.

And there lies the problem. I would be willing to bet that the large majority of horses in this country now are neither running free in a pasture with other horses, or have a job. For many people, a horse is a backyard ornament and nothing else. They get cared for spasmodically only when it doesn't interfere with the lives of the people.

Manage them like any other game animal. They should be culled with a rifle. Its simple.

Yes, like that is going to happen. Can you imagine the ire of the bunny huggers if this were to take place? Dream on.

I could give lots of in between examples
What ever happened to starting 4year olds? What ever happened to taking pride in your horsemanship? Whats wrong with young people, you would think they would want and appreciate the action that only a good bronc can give them? I cant understand how so many can just be satisfied with just barely getting a long the way they do with there horses.

I start my fair share of colts for people,and i have only recieved one three year old this year,the rest were 4 and 5,mainly because thats what i was started on,and i like to be able to RIDE a colt, and you cant usually do that to anything young.I also have a 3 colts on consignment,which are 5,5,and 6.The 6 year old i broke last spring,but the two 5's i got in last month.Theyre raw,the tried to paw kick and bite,even when atop them,but as for me personally,i take pride in riding raw "colts".Like my buddies jokingly say (nobody take offence) "if you aint riding a bronc,youre just trail riding" So dont give up all hope on us youngsters,there are still a few who love to get wooly with one.I didnt mean to upset anyone,and i usually would not have said a word,but i figured id speak up for my own.Which of course showed my age and "arse" for that matter :oops: and for that i apologise.I just feel this is somethin we need to leave emotion out of,and really think on a logistical level,and realize for the 20 or so of us who really have enough sense to care for a horse there are thounsands upon thousands who dont,and i dont recon you'll want them knocking on your door asking for you to shoot their horse....

Y'all be carefull,
Colt Lacina

Soapweed
The problem with commercial mustangers is the way they are going to do it. Rounding up mustangs is different than rounding up your typical remuda. The foals are going to be left behind during the chase and they are going to die a long hard death.
Also once they are in the catch pen "trap" there going to beat themselves to pieces trying to escape.
Dont get me wrong, it can be done right. Alberta Fish and Game does a really good job with Elk. But they are useing drugs and they also build<use> proper catch pens. But these pens that they use are really expensive<more than what a mustanger would pay for>. Its hard to descibe these pens but they are well thought out. There also designed for trailer loading the druged Elk. The Elk never really know they are actually caught by a human. There is nothing tramatic about it. Plus Fish and Game are trained to use their tranqualizer drugs.
Hey here is another thought. If anybody has a horse that they dont think they could put down themselves. Call your local wildlife officials. I can pretty much garantee you that they would come out and put your horse down free of charge. Also your local police could probable help you out in a similair way. Around here im sure Fish and Game would help you out at no charge even if the officer had to come out on his own time. I wouldnt just call them. I would go in and explain things to them face to face. I just cant see them not helping you. They put down wildlife so I dont see why a horse would be any trouble.

About my comments on the way horses are handled or about lack of horsemanship.
Im not talking about anyone in specific.
Example look at outfitters. Some are horseman who take good care of their horses. Some just use them because they have to.
Some outfitter horses have a hard life. Especially the ones that end up north. Example at a sheep camp in northern BC. This country isnt real horse country and its real tough on horses. Compound that with a non horseman outfitter and its a bad scene.
There are lots of great recreational riders out there. But then there are tons who are not.
In Alberta its the cool thing to own a horse. A lot of people have them because its sort a status symble. This isnt a very good deal for the horse usually.
Not all trainers grind up young horses for aged events. There are lots that do. Like I will start them lightly at three, but I dont really go after them till they are 4. If they act like a bronc when I start them and they are not 4 yo I will just leave them alone then and give them another year. Most horses are so well bread up here that broncs are really uncommon anyways.

Ropesanddogs
This is way off subject but for me this is what im running into.
The problem with being a trainer for me is that its hard to be ethical and make money. Its expensive to keep them until they are 4 YO before you start them because your competeing with others who are starting them as long yearlings or 2 yo. So even if im not competeing in aged events im still having higher costs because im keeping that horse 2 years longer than the next trainer is. The buyers dont seem to realize the problems there going to have down the road by buying that other guys horse who was started to young.
I hate these aged events so that eliminates a big market. The last few that I did sell where barrel prospects. But $4000 to $5000 per horse isnt really enough money for my time and expenses. Im a guy so I cant barrel race. So selling well started prospects is as far as I can really go as far as barrel horses go.
I dont like the recreational market. There are good buyers out there. But in general they are not willing to pay for a finished horse. So really all im doing is starting horses for them so im limited in what I can charge. Problem is its the finished riding that I want to do the most. So its like im starting horses and im just getting them to where they are getting really interesting to ride and then I have to sell them.
As far as working ranch horses go. Anybody who cowboys for a living wont be able to afford one of my horses. That or they generally start or train their own horses anyways.
The ideal thing would be to board horses and train both horses and riders. Trouble is im way to remote. Nobody is going to travel that far.
What I would love to get into is dressage. Problem is the where im located issue and then there is the money thing. Its just way to expensive to get into.
All in all, im kind of depressed about my situation.
BTW
ropesanddogs
Its good to know there are some real horsemen like yourself out there.
When I advertise a horse I generally just seem to get the worst of the worse calling me up.

I was visiting with a friend this morning about the slaughter horse dilemma. He has a horse that is ten years old and has navicular. The horse was good enough when he was sound, but was not so "special" that my friend wants to keep the horse around for another twenty years until it dies of old age. To my way of thinking, this horse's useful days are over. A horse such as this just as well go to a processing plant. A day or two might be a bit "unpleasant" but then this horse's troubles are over. Even though I don't plan to eat horse meat, far be it from me to tell someone else that they can't eat horse meat if that is their custom. There is other value to be had from by-products. It is a win-win situation for everyone involved. The horse gets to go to the Happy Grazing Ground in the Sky, my friend gets whatever money the horse is worth, some hungry folks somewhere get a good meal, other folks get jello, soap or glue that they need, and the system is free of a horse that is no longer useful. Private property rights are respected. The government has had no hand or expense except for monitoring that humane methods were carried out. Lemonade has been made out of a lemon situation. What is better than that?

My friend has lived in country where native customs are often followed. He remembers as a kid when an old skinny horse across the road was in dying mode for years. My friend's dad wanted to do his neighbor a favor and put down the horse. The neighbor was a Native American, and believed that it was not right to kill a horse. Even the last week, when the horse was completely down and suffering terribly, no one was allowed to put the horse out of its misery. My friend was just a young boy at the time, but he said it was heart-wrenching to watch the poor horse. When the horse finally died, there was a large area of ground all tore up from its struggles. The horse died from hunger and dehydration because it couldn't raise its head to take nourishment.

If this is how America wants to see old horses suffer, go ahead and ban the slaughter of horses. Personally, I would much rather sell them long before they reach this stage.

That would be the day when Fish and Wildlife officers would be expected to come out and shoot private horses for people-I've had to do it for neighbors and I darned sure wouldn't be doing it somebody I didn't know.Heck half the time you have trouble getting some vets to put something out of it's misery.

Here's some FAQ's from commonhorsesense.com. Maybe this will clear up some of the misinformation that is being posted here. And yes, commonhorsesense is an industry sponsored site. I'm giving a link to their homepage. It's a great site, so check it out.

http://www.commonhorsesense.com/index.php

Horse Slaughter FAQ's

1. Are there any rules about humane treatment of horses in the United States?

Yes.
(1) The United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Inspection Service publishes a regulation entitled "Humane Treatment of Livestock" (9 CFR 313). This regulation applies to the slaughter of cattle, hogs, deer, horses, wild boar, bison and a11 other animals slaughtered at federally inspected meat packing plants in the United States. If any plant violates the terms of the regulation it can be cited for violating the rule, which can lead to losing its federal inspection, and thereby its ability to earn income.

(2) In addition to this regulation, the United States Department of . Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Safety Inspection Service publishes a regulation entitled "Commercial Transportation of Equines for Slaughter" (9 CFR 88. This regulation establishes the condition that horses must be in before they can be transported by commercial livestock haulers to a meat packing plant. For example, blind horses, pregnant mares or lame horses cannot be transported to a packing plant. The regulation establishes criminal penalties for those that violate the rule. The regulation also sets out how frequently the trucks must stop to feed and water the horses enroute to a packing plant. The regulation also makes it unlawful to transport horses in double deck trailers after 2006.

(3) The Standing Veterinary Committee of the European Union has promulgated a directive that was passed by the European Union in Brussels that establishes humane conditions for the handling of livestock at packing plants (Council Directive 93/119/EC dated December 22 1993). These rules apply uniformly to all of the packing plants in the European Union. Additionally, plants in other countries, such as the United States, that export to the European Union must comply with these same rules when they handle livestock if the meat from those animals is going to eventually be permitted to enter the borders of the European Union. The supervision and enforcement of this European Union Directive is placed into the hands of the United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety inspection Service. Specifically, the export documents signed by the veterinary inspectors must state under the veterinarian's name that they have read and understood the European Union Council Directive 93/119/EC and that the meat is derived from animals that have been treated in the slaughterhouse before and at the time of slaughter in accordance with the relevant provisions of the directive.

2. Do horsemeat plants mistreat horses in spite of the regulations?

No. The preparation of meat cuts for human consumption are dependent upon many factors, not the least of which is that an animal at the time of slaughter should be as calm as possible in order to reduce the animal's stress levels. A stressed animal can have chemical reactions in the muscles that result in meat that has a taste that is less desirable for the consumer. To mistreat or mishandle animals at meat packing plants is not conducive to the creation of the best quality meat product for the consumer. The financial incentive to the meat packing company dictates that the animals are handled in as quiet and non-stressful a fashion as is possible in order to produce the best meat. This same principle applies to all livestock, not merely to horses.

3. Are government officials present at the meat packing plant?

Yes. In order for meat to be exported to the European Union a veterinary inspection officer from the United States Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Inspection Service must be present at the time of slaughter. This veterinarian must inspect the livestock in their pens before they are brought to slaughter in order to confirm that they are in good condition. The veterinarian then monitors the entire slaughter process. The veterinarian has the power to condemn any carcass that is considered suspect for contamination or diseased in some fashion that would make the introduction of the meat from that carcass into the human food chain unsafe. Since horses are handled under both United States and European Union regulations, horses are under more severe inspection procedures than are other animals, such as cattle, that are slaughtered in the United States.

4. Are any tests run on the meat?

Yes. The United States Department of Agriculture has an ongoing program designed to test meat produced in the United States to detect residues of compounds that are considered harmful in the United States. On a random basis and at any time a government inspector has a suspicion that some meat is possibly contaminated with a chemical residue it is pulled and sent for laboratory analysis. If the United States Department of Agriculture finds that there is contamination in a meat sample, records are used to trace the particular animal back to the seller of the live animal in order to identify and deal with the source of the contamination. In addition to testing for the compounds that are considered harmful in the United States, a longer and more extensive list of compounds considered harmful in the European Union exists. In order to test for those compounds, additional residue testing is performed at the expense of the meat packing plant on randomly selected meat samples and sent to laboratories in other countries to be examined for the presence of those compounds. A positive finding could result in the meat packing plant losing its ability to export to the European Union. For that reason, great care is taken to insure that the live animals are free from contamination from antibiotics, steroids, hormones and numerous other potentially harmful chemical compounds. This additional testing is also performed under the supervision and control of the United States Department of Agriculture.

5. Is it only the United States that has a cultural bias against eating horsemeat?

No. While horsemeat is consumed as a human protein source in such countries as France, Japan, Italy, Canada, Korea. Belgium, Mexico, Switzerland. Netherlands, Sweden and others, a few countries share the squeamishness of the United States toward horsemeat. The United Kingdom, Spain and Islamic Republics are among the countries that tend to have resistance to the consumption of horsemeat for human consumption.

6. Is a horse a pet, a commodity or both?

In general terms, a pet is an animal that people keep for companionship for the duration of the animal's life, Cats and dogs are typically kept by people as companions until the animal dies or has to be put down because of age or infirm condition. Horses are typically kept until they are no longer useful for the purpose for which they were purchased. After they have served their purpose, they are normally sold as a commodity in the open market to other people who might have another purpose for the animal. There are certainly many exceptions in which people will keep a particularly prized horse until it dies or until they have to put it down because of age, but for the most part, people tend to try to extract a value for their horse by selling it to someone else. The slaughter industry has a use for horses, and pays a price for the horses in the open marketplace at auctions or in private treaty sales. The treatment of the horse by the industry is as a commodity. Anyone who wants to pay more for the horse in the marketplace is free to do so.

7. Do horse plants buy stolen horses?

No. Popular fiction, television and movies often portray a fictitious industry in stealing horses for immediate sale to willing accomplices in meat packing plants. There is no such market. If a horse is stolen and then taken to a public auction for sale there is a chance that a buyer for a meat packing plant could buy the animal, just like there is a chance that the animal could be bought by someone looking for a saddle horse. Meat packing plants often receive flyers that describe particular horses that have been recently stolen around the United States in the hope that the horse will be recognized and the stolen property returned to the rightful owner. Every meat packing plant has examples of situations in which they participated in identifying and returning horses to their owners. Every plant likewise has examples of situations in which distraught people falsely accused their employees of stealing a horse. As an additional layer of security, each of the Texas meat packing plants has a brand Inspector on premises from the Texas Cattle Raisers Association. That inspector checks every single animal that is delivered to the plants for a brand or identification. Identification of a horse that has been reported stolen is virtually assured.

8. Do other countries have horsemeat plants?

Yes. In general terms, any country that has a natural resource of herds of horses will have an industry that utilizes the natural resource for food. Horsemeat plants exist in such countries as Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, France, Australia, Poland, Russia, China, Italy, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, New Zealand, Sweden and many other countries.

9. How does horsemeat taste?

Those who have tasted both, say that the meat tends to taste more like elk meat than any other type.

10. Is the horse slaughtered only to produce meat for human consumption?

No. The animal produces products that are sold to zoos to feed the big cats, to produce leather for shoes, to produce cosmetics, to produce the materials to build some human heart valves, to provide sausage casings, to produce pharmaceutical compounds, to produce artist brushes, to produce violin bows, and many other products.

11. Are there fewer horsemeat plants in the United States now than years ago?

Yes. Twenty years ago there were about a dozen plants in the United States. As competition grew, some plants that were not as efficient as others closed while through merger and acquisition, some companies bought out some of their competitors. Two of the plants that remain in the United States are Texas corporations.

12. Why are there horsemeat plants in the United States?

The United States has a population of horses that are freely sold in commerce. These horses tend to have been well fed and well cared for during their lives and: therefore tend to produce high quality meat when they are slaughtered. While it is expensive to buy horses, process the meat and then export it by air or by sea to Europe, it is cheaper than it would be to buy the horses and ship them alive by air or by sea to Europe for slaughter in European plants.

13. Is there a demand for horsemeat in the United States?

No. The cultural bias in the United States against eating horsemeat is too large to try to overcome on a mass marketing basis. The industry operates primarily to export the horsemeat to other countries for consumption. It is not the industry's intention to try to force Americans to eat horsemeat, but at the same time, it is the industry's request that Americans refrain from trying to impose their own cultural food biases upon the rest of the world. In Europe, for example, horsemeat has been eaten for centuries. Part of the reason for that is cultural, the meat has long been looked upon as a protein source in Europe and no automatic stigma is attached to horsemeat consumption. Part of the reason is a decision based on health considerations. Horsemeat is generally leaner, with less cholesterol, less fat and more iron than beef. As a result, some European dieticians suggest the consumption of horsemeat as a healthy alternative to beef. Another part of the reason is the European concern for all things natural. Concerns have grown over the past several decades that livestock that is raised specifically for slaughter experience a less natural life style that is reflected in the meat. Livestock raised in feedlots are fattened using a non-varied diet on a factory basis, often with growth hormones or pharmaceuticals to enhance weight-gain efficiency. Horses are viewed, quite rightly, as animals that are raised in more natural settings. They lead varied lives with a variety of diets over their lifetimes. The result is generally a more naturally raised animal that produces meat that the consumer more confidently chooses as being free of some of the excesses and potential risks of force-fed, factory raised slaughter animals.

Northern Rancher said:
That would be the day when Fish and Wildlife officers would be expected to come out and shoot private horses for people-I've had to do it for neighbors and I darned sure wouldn't be doing it somebody I didn't know.Heck half the time you have trouble getting some vets to put something out of it's misery.

Around here when you call out a vet for a cow or a horse they come with a medical bag in one hand and a 22 cal rifle in the other.
The Police and Fish and Game shoot wounded from traffic collisions wildlife and pets like dogs all the time when it needs to be done.

Well shooting roadkill and doing in horses are two different things-it's a dirty tough job and NOBODY is going to do it unless they have to. To start with alot of RCMP officers are city raised- I think you'd get alot of 'It's your horse-you shoot it' and rightly so.

Northern Rancher said:
Well shooting roadkill and doing in horses are two different things-it's a dirty tough job and NOBODY is going to do it unless they have to. To start with alot of RCMP officers are city raised- I think you'd get alot of 'It's your horse-you shoot it' and rightly so.

In the past i have had the CO ask me to go shoot something for him. It was his office day. Besides were 100 miles from our CO's.

Common Myths about Horse Slaughter

Myth: There has been an increase in the number of abandoned and unwanted horses in the United States, and a slaughter ban will lead to an increase in horse abuse and starvation or neglect cases.

Fact: There is no evidence to support these claims. According to the USDA, at least 5,000 horses have been imported into one of the three foreign-owned slaughter plants in the United States for slaughter since August 2004. If there were "too many" horses in the United States, then there would be no reason to import horses for slaughter. Furthermore, a ban on horse slaughter will not lead to an increase in horse abuse and neglect. In California, where horse slaughter was banned in 1998, there has been no corresponding rise in cruelty and neglect cases. In fact, horse theft has dropped by 34% since enactment of the ban. Allowing one's horse to starve is not an option—state anti-cruelty laws prohibit such neglect.

Myth: Transport guidelines protect horses shipped to slaughter from harm.

Fact: The 2002 guidelines allow horses to be shipped for more than 24 hours without food, water or rest, with broken limbs, with eyes missing, even heavily pregnant. Industry pushed to delay the prohibition on use of double-decker trucks until December 7, 2006. The regulations only cover the final journey to the slaughterhouse. If horses are loaded and unloaded at various places as part of their route to slaughter, only the final leg of the trip is covered. Enforcement of these guidelines will only occur once the truck reaches the slaughter plant, so these guidelines will have little preventative effect. These guidelines are wholly inadequate and allow extreme suffering in transport to continue.

Myth: There is no need for a ban because slaughter is humane euthanasia.

Fact: Horse slaughter is a far cry from humane euthanasia. "Euthanasia" means a gentle, painless death provided in order to prevent suffering. Horse slaughter is a death fraught with terror, pain, and suffering. Horses are shipped for more than 24 hours at a time in crowded double-decker cattle trucks without food, water, or rest. Pregnant mares, foals, injured horses, and even blind horses must endure the journey. Once they arrive, their suffering intensifies—undercover footage obtained by The Humane Society of the United States demonstrates that fully conscious horses are shackled and hoisted by the rear leg and have their throats slit. Because horses are skittish by nature, it is particularly difficult to align them correctly and ensure the captive bolt stun gun renders them unconscious. Most horse owners already use humane euthanasia for their older or ill horses.

Myth: If horses can no longer be slaughtered, their welfare is at risk due to the lack of adequate equine rescue facilities and uniform standards for them.

Fact: Standards of care have already been developed and embraced by the hundreds of equine rescue and retirement facilities that exist throughout the country that routinely rescue horses from slaughter. All must comply with state and local animal welfare statutes. In an effort to end the slaughter of racehorses, the New York Racing Association has partnered with other groups to launch the "Ferdinand Fee" to raise funds for the care of retired racehorses, and to honor Ferdinand, a former Kentucky Derby winner who went to slaughter. The organizations leading the charge in favor of a slaughter ban are the very organizations that are actively working to provide sanctuaries and solutions for any horses that would otherwise go to slaughter.

Myth: If a slaughter ban is passed, the federal government will face the financial burden of care for horses no longer going to slaughter.

Fact: This assertion rests on the false premise that all horses currently going to slaughter would become the financial responsibility of the federal government. Horse owners, not the government, will remain responsible for the care of their horses. Owners who no longer wish to keep their horses and who cannot sell or place their horses in a new home will have the option of humane euthanasia. The average cost for veterinarian-administered euthanasia and carcass disposal—approximately $225, the cost of one month's care—is simply a part of responsible horse ownership.

Myth: Ending horse slaughter will cause environmental harm.

Fact: Hundreds of thousands of horses are safely disposed of annually by means other than slaughter, and the infrastructure can absorb an increase in numbers. Conversely, the operation of the horse slaughterhouses has a very real negative environmental impact, with two out of the three in violation of current environmental law related to the disposal of blood and other waste materials. Mayor Paula Beacon of Kaufman, Texas—the home of one of the three horse slaughter plants in the United States—desperately states "Dallas-Crown is operating in violation of a multitude of local laws pertaining to waste management, air quality and other environmental concerns... Residents are also fed up with the situation. Long-established neighbors living adjacent to the plant cannot open their windows or run air conditioners without enduring the most horrific stench."

Myth: A prohibition on horse slaughter creates a negative precedent for beef, pork, and poultry producers by legitimizing efforts to end consumption of food derived from any animal.

Fact: Americans don't eat horses, and unlike other livestock, we don't breed them for human consumption. Additionally, horses are different from cattle (and other animals specifically bred, sold, and transported for human consumption) due to their instinctive flight response in stressful conditions, making it difficult to accurately stun them prior to slaughter. Undercover footage has demonstrated that many horses are dismembered while fully conscious, underscoring the need to ban this utterly inhumane process. The American public overwhelming supports a ban on horse slaughter—horses have a special place in our heritage and they are beloved companions to millions today.

Myth: Consuming horsemeat does not put the public's health at risk.

Fact: Horsemeat is potentially dangerous to humans when eaten because horses are not raised for this purpose. Recent lab work revealed that horsemeat from one of the Texas plants contains several substances that are not intended for human consumption. Our horses are regularly treated with worming medications, drugs, and other injections unintended for human consumption.

Myth: There has been no formal public discussion on this issue.

Fact: For years, legislation that would prohibit horse slaughter has been under consideration in the Senate. The U.S. House of Representatives witnessed thoughtful and substantial public floor debate on this identical amendment which led to its passage by a landslide bipartisan vote. Further, there has been extensive media coverage on this issue by newspapers and television networks nationwide including CNN, The L.A. Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, and many others. Action on this issue is past due.

Myth: Zoos will be prevented from feeding their big cats an adequate diet.

Fact: Zoos will be able to continue to feed horse meat to their big cats, as the bill will only stop the domestic slaughter of horses for human consumption. However, there is a growing trend to feed a beef-based diet to captive big cats. Several USDA-licensed facilities that keep big cats like lions and tigers have switched to such diets because it is a healthier alternative for these species. Horses are treated with many drugs that are prohibited for use in animals raised for food.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/equine_protection/horse_slaughter_common_myths.html

RoperAB said:
Common Myths about Horse Slaughter

Myth: There has been an increase in the number of abandoned and unwanted horses in the United States, and a slaughter ban will lead to an increase in horse abuse and starvation or neglect cases.

Fact: There is no evidence to support these claims. According to the USDA, at least 5,000 horses have been imported into one of the three foreign-owned slaughter plants in the United States for slaughter since August 2004. If there were "too many" horses in the United States, then there would be no reason to import horses for slaughter. Furthermore, a ban on horse slaughter will not lead to an increase in horse abuse and neglect. In California, where horse slaughter was banned in 1998, there has been no corresponding rise in cruelty and neglect cases. In fact, horse theft has dropped by 34% since enactment of the ban. Allowing one's horse to starve is not an option—state anti-cruelty laws prohibit such neglect.

Myth: Transport guidelines protect horses shipped to slaughter from harm.

Fact: The 2002 guidelines allow horses to be shipped for more than 24 hours without food, water or rest, with broken limbs, with eyes missing, even heavily pregnant. Industry pushed to delay the prohibition on use of double-decker trucks until December 7, 2006. The regulations only cover the final journey to the slaughterhouse. If horses are loaded and unloaded at various places as part of their route to slaughter, only the final leg of the trip is covered. Enforcement of these guidelines will only occur once the truck reaches the slaughter plant, so these guidelines will have little preventative effect. These guidelines are wholly inadequate and allow extreme suffering in transport to continue.

Myth: There is no need for a ban because slaughter is humane euthanasia.

Fact: Horse slaughter is a far cry from humane euthanasia. "Euthanasia" means a gentle, painless death provided in order to prevent suffering. Horse slaughter is a death fraught with terror, pain, and suffering. Horses are shipped for more than 24 hours at a time in crowded double-decker cattle trucks without food, water, or rest. Pregnant mares, foals, injured horses, and even blind horses must endure the journey. Once they arrive, their suffering intensifies—undercover footage obtained by The Humane Society of the United States demonstrates that fully conscious horses are shackled and hoisted by the rear leg and have their throats slit. Because horses are skittish by nature, it is particularly difficult to align them correctly and ensure the captive bolt stun gun renders them unconscious. Most horse owners already use humane euthanasia for their older or ill horses.

Myth: If horses can no longer be slaughtered, their welfare is at risk due to the lack of adequate equine rescue facilities and uniform standards for them.

Fact: Standards of care have already been developed and embraced by the hundreds of equine rescue and retirement facilities that exist throughout the country that routinely rescue horses from slaughter. All must comply with state and local animal welfare statutes. In an effort to end the slaughter of racehorses, the New York Racing Association has partnered with other groups to launch the "Ferdinand Fee" to raise funds for the care of retired racehorses, and to honor Ferdinand, a former Kentucky Derby winner who went to slaughter. The organizations leading the charge in favor of a slaughter ban are the very organizations that are actively working to provide sanctuaries and solutions for any horses that would otherwise go to slaughter.

Myth: If a slaughter ban is passed, the federal government will face the financial burden of care for horses no longer going to slaughter.

Fact: This assertion rests on the false premise that all horses currently going to slaughter would become the financial responsibility of the federal government. Horse owners, not the government, will remain responsible for the care of their horses. Owners who no longer wish to keep their horses and who cannot sell or place their horses in a new home will have the option of humane euthanasia. The average cost for veterinarian-administered euthanasia and carcass disposal—approximately $225, the cost of one month's care—is simply a part of responsible horse ownership.

Myth: Ending horse slaughter will cause environmental harm.

Fact: Hundreds of thousands of horses are safely disposed of annually by means other than slaughter, and the infrastructure can absorb an increase in numbers. Conversely, the operation of the horse slaughterhouses has a very real negative environmental impact, with two out of the three in violation of current environmental law related to the disposal of blood and other waste materials. Mayor Paula Beacon of Kaufman, Texas—the home of one of the three horse slaughter plants in the United States—desperately states "Dallas-Crown is operating in violation of a multitude of local laws pertaining to waste management, air quality and other environmental concerns... Residents are also fed up with the situation. Long-established neighbors living adjacent to the plant cannot open their windows or run air conditioners without enduring the most horrific stench."

Myth: A prohibition on horse slaughter creates a negative precedent for beef, pork, and poultry producers by legitimizing efforts to end consumption of food derived from any animal.

Fact: Americans don't eat horses, and unlike other livestock, we don't breed them for human consumption. Additionally, horses are different from cattle (and other animals specifically bred, sold, and transported for human consumption) due to their instinctive flight response in stressful conditions, making it difficult to accurately stun them prior to slaughter. Undercover footage has demonstrated that many horses are dismembered while fully conscious, underscoring the need to ban this utterly inhumane process. The American public overwhelming supports a ban on horse slaughter—horses have a special place in our heritage and they are beloved companions to millions today.

Myth: Consuming horsemeat does not put the public's health at risk.

Fact: Horsemeat is potentially dangerous to humans when eaten because horses are not raised for this purpose. Recent lab work revealed that horsemeat from one of the Texas plants contains several substances that are not intended for human consumption. Our horses are regularly treated with worming medications, drugs, and other injections unintended for human consumption.

Myth: There has been no formal public discussion on this issue.

Fact: For years, legislation that would prohibit horse slaughter has been under consideration in the Senate. The U.S. House of Representatives witnessed thoughtful and substantial public floor debate on this identical amendment which led to its passage by a landslide bipartisan vote. Further, there has been extensive media coverage on this issue by newspapers and television networks nationwide including CNN, The L.A. Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, and many others. Action on this issue is past due.

Myth: Zoos will be prevented from feeding their big cats an adequate diet.

Fact: Zoos will be able to continue to feed horse meat to their big cats, as the bill will only stop the domestic slaughter of horses for human consumption. However, there is a growing trend to feed a beef-based diet to captive big cats. Several USDA-licensed facilities that keep big cats like lions and tigers have switched to such diets because it is a healthier alternative for these species. Horses are treated with many drugs that are prohibited for use in animals raised for food.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/issues_affecting_our_pets/equine_protection/horse_slaughter_common_myths.html

If the truth were known, RoperAB, the organization that you are quoting as FOR you arguements probably deep down, is dead set AGAINST people like you and me even owning or riding horses. After all, working and riding horses has got to be inhumane and insensitive to the horses' real desires. Yes indeed, politics makes strange bedfellows. Thanks for aiding and abetting the enemy. PETA would probably pay you big wages to be one of their spokesmen.

The way I see it im standing up for half decent humane treatment of Horses and fighting against France.

RoperAB said:
The way I see it im standing up for half decent humane treatment of Horses and fighting against France.

You are talking out of two sides of your mouth. If horsemeat is as unhealthy as you, the humane society, and the PETA people say it is, you are only helping France if you don't allow them to eat our horse meat. I say, help ourselves instead. We need to sell the French all the horse meat they can eat. It is about the only money and help we can ever get out of that bunch.

Latest posts