• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How do you packer blamers explain this? Part II

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MRJ said:
Any of you choosing to look into Econ's "tenants of market power" probably should substitute the word "tenets" for his "tenants" if you want to learn about "an opinion, principle, dogma, ets., that a person or organization believes or maintains as true" rather than "tenant: one who holds, own, or possesses land or property". Those darn typo's, hey Econ?

Econ, when you ask, "do you know my statement to be false in regards to the beef/chicken/poulrty markets and the packers involved?", isn't it necessary to establish a record for accuracy and honesty in order for a person offering market reporting and analysis to be trusted? How can we possibly trust your scenarios when you have not been offering them for a reasonable period of time in order for us to verify your accuracy? How can we trust someone who will not tell us who he is? And plays mind games by telling us he will reveal all "when the time is right"? You seem to demand our trust. Trust simply does not work that way!

MRJ

MRJ, I wouldn't try to prove anything at all to you. If it doesn't come from NCBA headquarters, you will not believe it anyway. Forget about who I am. If that is how you judge people, that is your problem, not mine.

As far as my statement, can you prove it false or not? If not, shut up about it. If so, bring it up. If you have a real counter argument, bring it up. I really don't care to take the time to "prove" something to you as it seems you have to run it by the NCBA to see what they say about it so you don't have to think for yourself. I don't think you are qualified as someone to judge a goat contest, let alone logical series of events or facts.

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
Tam said:
So says the know it all eCON

Tam, if you want to go back to name calling we can go to the Knives Slander and "Proof" thread and hash it out. Do you know my statement to be false in regards to the beef/chicken/poultry markets and the packers involved? Is ignorance bliss?
Why you didn't prove anything but how you can namecall when you don't have enough logic to get you point across.
Could Tyson not have diversified into beef to help out their Foods Service sector Econ. have you ever had beef on an airplane Econ? or eaten a plate of spagetti covered in a nice meat sauce. Not all mothers have the time to prepare that meat sauce by hand some use bottled and guess who could have prepared it for them. OH GEE could it be the part of Tysons food service industry that produced pasta and sauces Econ. Not all of us see things like you do THANK GOD.

Tam, you never cease to amaze me. I think you could make up an excuse for the holocoust.

I use meat sauce all the time when making lasagna or other pasta. Sometimes I make it from scratch. What does that have to do with anything? Tyson just bought another company that they thought was going to be profitable. Not everything is related to market power issues. I don't think they are cornering the sauce market or airplane food. Why do you bring up such nonsense?

Again, your ability to think and reason seems to be impaired by your efforts to excuse moves by packers. Your ignorance is not my loss, it is yours. I don't need you or MRJ to break every little sentence or word up so you can divert from the substance of the post. Maybe the two of you have had too much sauce.

So Sandhusker were my questions to hard? or would the answers prove something you don't want to think about?

Just answer one OR two Sandhusker,

1. Could Tyson have diversified into beef to compliment their Food Service sector of their business holdings which are ones that make pasta sauces, refrigerated and fresh entrees, and airline meals?

2. Would you rather Tyson only sold Pork Chicken and Seafood in their sauces, entrees, and airline meals?

Tam said:
So Sandhusker were my questions to hard? or would the answers prove something you don't want to think about?

1. Could Tyson have diversified into beef to compliment their Food Service sector of their business holdings which are ones that make pasta sauces, refrigerated and fresh entrees, and airline meals?

2. Would you rather Tyson only sold Pork Chicken and Seafood in their sauces, entrees, and airline meals?

Tam, what is the connection between any of this and what Sandhusker (correctly) wrote about what I have been saying on this forum?

Would you rather make a little sense instead of posting questions like this? I know I would.

Econ101 said:
Tam said:
Econ101 said:
Tam, if you want to go back to name calling we can go to the Knives Slander and "Proof" thread and hash it out. Do you know my statement to be false in regards to the beef/chicken/poultry markets and the packers involved? Is ignorance bliss?
Why you didn't prove anything but how you can namecall when you don't have enough logic to get you point across.
Could Tyson not have diversified into beef to help out their Foods Service sector Econ. have you ever had beef on an airplane Econ? or eaten a plate of spagetti covered in a nice meat sauce. Not all mothers have the time to prepare that meat sauce by hand some use bottled and guess who could have prepared it for them. OH GEE could it be the part of Tysons food service industry that produced pasta and sauces Econ. Not all of us see things like you do THANK GOD.

Tam, you never cease to amaze me. I think you could make up an excuse for the holocoust.

I use meat sauce all the time when making lasagna or other pasta. Sometimes I make it from scratch. What does that have to do with anything? Tyson just bought another company that they thought was going to be profitable. Not everything is related to market power issues. I don't think they are cornering the sauce market or airplane food. Why do you bring up such nonsense?

Again, your ability to think and reason seems to be impaired by your efforts to excuse moves by packers. Your ignorance is not my loss, it is yours. I don't need you or MRJ to break every little sentence or word up so you can divert from the substance of the post. Maybe the two of you have had too much sauce.

Be careful Econ The fact that you are getting rude again proves you have little to no logic to defend your opinion. :)
I use meat sauce all the time when making lasagna or other pasta. Sometimes I make it from scratch. What does that have to do with anything? Tyson just bought another company that they thought was going to be profitable. Not everything is related to market power issues.
Like I asked Sandhusker could Tyson have bought IBP to compliment the rest of their holdings as in the pasta sauces and the refrigerated and fresh entrees and the airline meals? Just think how much more profitable those sectors would be if they didn't have to buy their beef wholesale from another processor. Would you rather they didn't include beef in the huge food service sector of their business holding?

Tam, they could have bought IBP because John Tyson was sitting on the toilet and got some pee on his pants. Someone in the office who was working on mergers and acquistions just heard him yell "I be peed!"

Your little speculations are not worth answering. Why don't you call John Tyson and ask him? I am sure you will take any answer he gives you as gospel truth.

Your ability to continue to post nonsense is amazing.

Econ101 said:
Tam said:

Tam, what is the connection between any of this and what Sandhusker (correctly) wrote about what I have been saying on this forum?

Would you rather make a little sense instead of posting questions like this? I know I would.

Just because you said something and Sandhusker back it up with his opinion doesn't mean anything to those that aren't packer blames looking for an excuse to blame Tyson for everything. Sandhusker said
Sure, companies are going to invest in product lines where they think they can make a profit. However, they look for products that compliment what they already have. Tyson buying into beef and the position in the beef industry attained via the IBP purchase was a no-brainer. They never would of bought IBP if that purchase would not also help their chicken business and visa versa.
Let him prove Tyson only bought IBP to help out the chicken sector maybe if he can you won't have to but I doubt either one of you can as that is not your MO.

Tam said:

1) Sure they could of, but wasn't my point that they get into other product lines to make a profit and compliment what they already have? You're not contradicting me or proving me wrong, you're simply adding more examples that make my point. Did you understand what I wrote? :shock:

2) I wish they would use only US beef.

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
Tam said:

Just because you said something and Sandhusker back it up with his opinion doesn't mean anything to those that aren't packer blames looking for an excuse to blame Tyson for everything. Sandhusker said
Sure, companies are going to invest in product lines where they think they can make a profit. However, they look for products that compliment what they already have. Tyson buying into beef and the position in the beef industry attained via the IBP purchase was a no-brainer. They never would of bought IBP if that purchase would not also help their chicken business and visa versa.
Let him prove Tyson only bought IBP to help out the chicken sector maybe if he can you won't have to but I doubt either one of you can as that is not your MO.

What kind of proof would you accept, Tam? I already gave you another possible reason for Tyson buying IBP. Do you think you can ever get any kind of "proof" for what you are asking?

It is such a stupid request.

Do you want me to pester you with questions like this? Maybe we could meet back at the knives, slander and proof thread.

Tam, "Let him prove Tyson only bought IBP to help out the chicken sector maybe if he can you won't have to but I doubt either one of you can as that is not your MO."

Did he say that? I certainly didn't. I think Econ is right, you are in the sauce.

Econ101 said:
Tam said:
Econ101 said:

What kind of proof would you accept, Tam? I already gave you another possible reason for Tyson buying IBP. Do you think you can ever get any kind of "proof" for what you are asking?

Do you want me to pester you with questions like this? Maybe we could meet back at the knives, slander and proof thread.
another possible reason I thought yours was the only reason possible. at least you are now admitting there maybe another possible reason exsists that is a step Econ. a baby step but a step never the less. :wink:

Sandhusker said:
Tam, "Let him prove Tyson only bought IBP to help out the chicken sector maybe if he can you won't have to but I doubt either one of you can as that is not your MO."

Did he say that? I certainly didn't. I think Econ is right, you are in the sauce.

Sure, companies are going to invest in product lines where they think they can make a profit. However, they look for products that compliment what they already have. Tyson buying into beef and the position in the beef industry attained via the IBP purchase was a no-brainer. They never would of bought IBP if that purchase would not also help their chicken business and visa versa. Econ has tried repeatedly to show you folks how Tyson can and does use chicken and beef to increase their power (and long-term profitability for their shareholders), but all you want to do is fight with him and talk of conspiracies. Tyson isn't involved in a conspiracy, they're just smart business people. They're using their strengths to promote their agenda. Their strengths are political and market power. It's not hard to figure out.

Tam said:
Sandhusker said:

Sure, companies are going to invest in product lines where they think they can make a profit. However, they look for products that compliment what they already have. Tyson buying into beef and the position in the beef industry attained via the IBP purchase was a no-brainer. They never would of bought IBP if that purchase would not also help their chicken business and visa versa. Econ has tried repeatedly to show you folks how Tyson can and does use chicken and beef to increase their power (and long-term profitability for their shareholders), but all you want to do is fight with him and talk of conspiracies. Tyson isn't involved in a conspiracy, they're just smart business people. They're using their strengths to promote their agenda. Their strengths are political and market power. It's not hard to figure out.

That's certainly not "only bought IBP" now is it? You also missed "visa versa".

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
Tam said:
Just because you said something and Sandhusker back it up with his opinion doesn't mean anything to those that aren't packer blames looking for an excuse to blame Tyson for everything. Sandhusker said Let him prove Tyson only bought IBP to help out the chicken sector maybe if he can you won't have to but I doubt either one of you can as that is not your MO.

another possible reason I thought yours was the only reason possible. at least you are now admitting there maybe another possible reason exsists that is a step Econ. a baby step but a step never the less. :wink:

It is because you can't read, Tam, let alone have any reading comprehension. Conversing with you and sometimes MRJ on this board is like talking to a class of grad students and preschoolers in the same class. I will let you guess which one you are.

Sandbag: "Did you miss this from a week or so back, SH, "Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat producer, said Friday it plans to spend up to $650 million on capital expenditures and look into overseas acquisitions, despite a slip in earnings"

So what? We are not discussing Tyson's investments as a company, we are discussing the profitability in their beef sector, beef sector expansions, and the reason why two beef processing plants were closed.

Nice diversion, as usual!

The issue here is WHY DID THEY CLOSE THOSE BEEF PLANTS? Tyson claims lack of profitability. If you don't believe them, what can you provide to the contrary OTHER THAN YOUR NORMAL "THEORY" AND "SPECULATION"? Not a damn thing I'm betting, as usual!

Tyson originally bought ibp as an investment. The fact remains Tyson is not going to subsidize their beef losses with poultry and pork profits OVER THE LONG TERM. They didn't buy ibp to lose money.

I am not trying to suggest that Tyson's beef plants never make money, of course they do or they wouldn't be in business. I'm simply pointing out the fact that they don't make as much money as you packer blamers have been led to believe but that's not what you want to believe so you're not going to believe it.

If it wasn't for these debates, you'd probably still believe packers and retailers were making $400 per head off the backs of producers as Callicrate has been preaching. Wait a minute, that's assuming you actually learned something. Sorry, lapse of judgement there.

You don't have the integrity to admit that packer profits, as revealed by Pickett, were not what you thought they'd be. None of you blamers have any integrity. You keep searching for anything that creates an "ILLUSION" of supporting your packer blaming bias.

You ignore Tyson's actual profit and loss statements to favor some dumb assed conspiracy theory about how Tyson is hiding profits behind expansions and investments THAT YOU CAN'T BACK WITH FACTS. You'll sink your teeth into anything to protect your need to blame.

Sandbag: "Want to bet another $100 that I can't find a million shares of unprofitable companies that were traded TODAY?"

Yes, potential investors are looking to "buy low and sell high" ON THE SALE OF OLD SHARES. I understand that. I'm talking about whether or not the shares that are selling are making money for EXISTING shareholders.

The issue here is why Tyson closed those plants and whether or not they intentionally hide profits from their EXISTING shareholders.

None of you can explain why they would claim losses if they were actually making profits. That is nothing more than another baseless conspiracy theory that cannot be supported with SPECIFIC EXAMPLES (facts).

Rod: "A company will issue X numbers of shares at an initial share offering price. The theory behind this is that X times the initial share offering will be somewhat close to the net worth of the company, including income for the year that the stocks are initially offered. Once the company sells those shares, THEY DO NOT EVER TOUCH THEM AGAIN UNLESS THEY BUY THEM BACK."

I understand that Rod. I have bought shares in companies before.

The issue here is whether or not those shares are making money for the EXISTING shareholders. That's the only issue.

Rod: "As company does business, it releases earnings and shareholder reports. It may or may not pay dividends on the shares that they've released. And yes, old shares may be sold. BUT THEY ARE NOT SOLD BY THE COMPANY."

That's correct, old shares are not sold by the company, they are sold by the shareholders. New shares are sold by the company. I understand that. You're diverting the issue here. The issue is whether or not Tyson was profitable when they sold those plants.

What can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson may be profitable when they are showing losses and what can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson closed those two plants for efficiency reasons only?

Not a damn thing, that's what you'll bring!

Rod: "Tyson has EXPANDED in the last few years, as such, their earnings are going to be showing a loss against them in the form of amortized costs. This is REQUIRED BY LAW! THEY HAVE TO SHOW LOSSES! What business unit they decide to show the losses against is completely up to them."

I am not going to discuss Tyson's expansions as a company, I'm only interested in Tyson's expansions in their beef sector.

Tyson showed losses in their beef sector.

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF THAT THESE LOSSES WERE DUE TO EXPANSION???

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF THAT THEIR "BEEF INDUSTRY" EXPANSION WILL OFFSET THE SLAUGHTER CAPACITY REDUCTION FROM THE CLOSING OF TWO OF THEIR BEEF PROCESSING PLANTS?

That's the only issue on the table here.

The fact remains Rod, you don't have anything to back your assumption that Tyson's reported losses in their BEEF DIVISION is due to expansion, do you??

You might as well come clean and answer the question because I'm not going to follow you into unrelated topics.

Rod: "Of course I can argue it both ways. Thats why Tyson is into beef, chicken AND pork. When one goes low, they subsidize it with profits from the others. And this removes SOME of that companies competitiveness. Starving companies are innovators."

Tyson did not invest in beef processing to carry that industry with their poultry and pork divisions. Each industry has to be profitable on it's own or it was a poor investment.

DID TYSON CLOSE THOSE TWO PLANTS DUE TO A LACK OF PROFITABILITY?

YES OR NO?

IF YOUR ANSWER IS NO, WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?

Rod: " Profitable plants WILL close if their production can be easily relocated to another MORE profitable plant. Tyson hasn't even showed losses. They've shown losses to profits. Totally different animal. And Tyson's reps only said the industry was getting tighter, not that those TWO PLANTS WERE LOSING MONEY."

Nowhere did Tyson say that their expansion in one plant would offset the slaughter capacity lost from the closing of two plants. MERE SPECULATION on your part.

Where is your proof of Tyson's beef processing profits?

NOT TYSON AS A COMPANY, THEIR BEEF DIVISION ONLY????

Before you get sidetracked again, here's the questions you need to answer Rod:

1. Why would Tyson "intentionally" show losses in their beef division if they were not occuring?

2. What proof do you have that Tyson showed losses when they were actually profitable?

3. What proof do you have that Tyson's reported losses IN THEIR BEEF DIVISION were due to expansion?

4. What proof do you have that Tyson closed these two beef processing plants for efficiency reasons and not due to a lack of profitability?

5. What proof do you have that Tyson's proposed expansion in one of their beef units will be equal to the slaughter capacity lost in the closing of the two plants?

6. Why would Tyson continue to carry beef losses with their poulty and pork divisions?

7. Where is your proof that Tyson's beef processing expansion is coming from profits in the beef sector they are not revealing?

If you answer these questions honestly, it will reveal just how little of your opinion is based on facts.

As usual, the debate has gotten sidetracked. The above questions will put it back on track.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Sandbag: "Did you miss this from a week or so back, SH, "Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat producer, said Friday it plans to spend up to $650 million on capital expenditures and look into overseas acquisitions, despite a slip in earnings"

So what? We are not discussing Tyson's investments as a company, we are discussing the profitability in their beef sector, beef sector expansions, and the reason why two beef processing plants were closed.

Nice diversion, as usual!

The issue here is WHY DID THEY CLOSE THOSE BEEF PLANTS? Tyson claims lack of profitability. If you don't believe them, what can you provide to the contrary OTHER THAN YOUR NORMAL "THEORY" AND "SPECULATION"? Not a damn thing I'm betting, as usual!

Tyson originally bought ibp as an investment. The fact remains Tyson is not going to subsidize their beef losses with poultry and pork profits OVER THE LONG TERM. They didn't buy ibp to lose money.

I am not trying to suggest that Tyson's beef plants never make money, of course they do or they wouldn't be in business. I'm simply pointing out the fact that they don't make as much money as you packer blamers have been led to believe but that's not what you want to believe so you're not going to believe it.

If it wasn't for these debates, you'd probably still believe packers and retailers were making $400 per head off the backs of producers as Callicrate has been preaching. Wait a minute, that's assuming you actually learned something. Sorry, lapse of judgement there.

You don't have the integrity to admit that packer profits, as revealed by Pickett, were not what you thought they'd be. None of you blamers have any integrity. You keep searching for anything that creates an "ILLUSION" of supporting your packer blaming bias.

You ignore Tyson's actual profit and loss statements to favor some dumb assed conspiracy theory about how Tyson is hiding profits behind expansions and investments THAT YOU CAN'T BACK WITH FACTS. You'll sink your teeth into anything to protect your need to blame.

Sandbag: "Want to bet another $100 that I can't find a million shares of unprofitable companies that were traded TODAY?"

Yes, potential investors are looking to "buy low and sell high" ON THE SALE OF OLD SHARES. I understand that. I'm talking about whether or not the shares that are selling are making money for EXISTING shareholders.

The issue here is why Tyson closed those plants and whether or not they intentionally hide profits from their EXISTING shareholders.

None of you can explain why they would claim losses if they were actually making profits. That is nothing more than another baseless conspiracy theory that cannot be supported with SPECIFIC EXAMPLES (facts).

Rod: "A company will issue X numbers of shares at an initial share offering price. The theory behind this is that X times the initial share offering will be somewhat close to the net worth of the company, including income for the year that the stocks are initially offered. Once the company sells those shares, THEY DO NOT EVER TOUCH THEM AGAIN UNLESS THEY BUY THEM BACK."

I understand that Rod. I have bought shares in companies before.

The issue here is whether or not those shares are making money for the EXISTING shareholders. That's the only issue.

Rod: "As company does business, it releases earnings and shareholder reports. It may or may not pay dividends on the shares that they've released. And yes, old shares may be sold. BUT THEY ARE NOT SOLD BY THE COMPANY."

That's correct, old shares are not sold by the company, they are sold by the shareholders. New shares are sold by the company. I understand that. You're diverting the issue here. The issue is whether or not Tyson was profitable when they sold those plants.

What can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson may be profitable when they are showing losses and what can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson closed those two plants for efficiency reasons only?

Rod: "Tyson has EXPANDED in the last few years, as such, their earnings are going to be showing a loss against them in the form of amortized costs. This is REQUIRED BY LAW! THEY HAVE TO SHOW LOSSES! What business unit they decide to show the losses against is completely up to them."

I am not going to discuss Tyson's expansions as a company, I'm only interested in Tyson's expansions in their beef sector.

Tyson showed losses in their beef sector.

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF THAT THEIR "BEEF INDUSTRY" EXPANSION WILL OFFSET THE SLAUGHTER CAPACITY REDUCTION FROM THE CLOSING OF TWO OF THEIR BEEF PROCESSING PLANTS?

That's the only issue on the table here.

The fact remains Rod, you don't have anything to back your assumption that Tyson's reported losses in their BEEF DIVISION is due to expansion, do you??

You might as well come clean and answer the question because I'm not going to follow you into unrelated topics.

Rod: "Of course I can argue it both ways. Thats why Tyson is into beef, chicken AND pork. When one goes low, they subsidize it with profits from the others. And this removes SOME of that companies competitiveness. Starving companies are innovators."

Tyson did not invest in beef processing to carry that industry with their poultry and pork divisions. Each industry has to be profitable on it's own or it was a poor investment.

DID TYSON CLOSE THOSE TWO PLANTS DUE TO A LACK OF PROFITABILITY?

YES OR NO?

IF YOUR ANSWER IS NO, WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?

Rod: " Profitable plants WILL close if their production can be easily relocated to another MORE profitable plant. Tyson hasn't even showed losses. They've shown losses to profits. Totally different animal. And Tyson's reps only said the industry was getting tighter, not that those TWO PLANTS WERE LOSING MONEY."

Nowhere did Tyson say that their expansion in one plant would offset the slaughter capacity lost from the closing of two plants. MERE SPECULATION on your part.

Where is your proof of Tyson's beef processing profits?

NOT TYSON AS A COMPANY, THEIR BEEF DIVISION ONLY????

Before you get sidetracked again, here's the questions you need to answer Rod:

1. Why would Tyson "intentionally" show losses in their beef division if they were not occuring?

2. What proof do you have that Tyson showed losses when they were actually profitable?

3. What proof do you have that Tyson's reported losses IN THEIR BEEF DIVISION were due to expansion?

4. What proof do you have that Tyson closed these two beef processing plants for efficiency reasons and not due to a lack of profitability?

5. What proof do you have that Tyson's proposed expansion in one of their beef units will be equal to the slaughter capacity lost in the closing of the two plants?

6. Why would Tyson continue to carry beef losses with their poulty and pork divisions?

7. Where is your proof that Tyson's beef processing expansion is coming from profits in the beef sector they are not revealing?

If you answer these questions honestly, it will reveal just how little of your opinion is based on facts.

As usual, the debate has gotten sidetracked. The above questions will put it back on track.

~SH~

Do you suppose that if Tyson sold the plants instead of closing them that someone else might run them more efficiently than they did.

Trucking the extra distance to the new plant isn't free. Anybody operating the old plants would have the trucking advantage over Tyson.

One reason Tyson could close those plants and expand the other is that there is nobody else in the old location to kill the cattle there. If there were they would not be guaranteed to get them for the expanded plant.

When there is no competition in the region, decisions are made differently than if there were.

I would expect nothing less from OCM than to see him divert the questions and create "ILLUSIONS" instead. Same-O OCM!

OCM: "Do you suppose that if Tyson sold the plants instead of closing them that someone else might run them more efficiently than they did."

You tell me. Bottom line, they sold them because they weren't making those "HUGE" profits that you packer blamers have been lying to producers about. But then, gotta blame something.

OCM: "Trucking the extra distance to the new plant isn't free. Anybody operating the old plants would have the trucking advantage over Tyson."

You don't know that! They might sell to Excel or Swift next time.

Honestly OCM, you know what one of the biggest threats to this industry is? It's packer blaming producers who are ignorant of the packing and retail industries. You find that a lot more in R-CULT/OCM than you do in NCBA.

OCM: "One reason Tyson could close those plants and expand the other is that there is nobody else in the old location to kill the cattle there. If there were they would not be guaranteed to get them for the expanded plant."

Hahaha!

You don't know how far their customers trucked from and you don't know whether it would be closer to an Excel or Swift plant. You just make sh*t up that sounds good to you like the deceptive individual you are.

OCM: "When there is no competition in the region, decisions are made differently than if there were."

Plants are closing due to a lack of profitability and we have just seen the highest feeder cattle prices ever recorded and you're still whining about a lack of competition. You packer blamers are so foolish. No wonder you don't reveal who you are.

~SH~

SH: "What can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson may be profitable when they are showing losses and what can you bring to the table to support your contention that Tyson closed those two plants for efficiency reasons only? "

Econ: The facts, SH. The fact is that Tyson did not lose money. Go look at their financial reports. Tyson made most of their money in poultry, beef's competition. Are you suggesting that we should all believe Jason's theory that segments of the same company should be viewed as entirely different operations? If this is the case, the coordination that Tyson brings to these divisions breaks the Packers and Stockyards Act as well as some of the anti-trust laws.

OCM:"Do you suppose that if Tyson sold the plants instead of closing them that someone else might run them more efficiently than they did.

Trucking the extra distance to the new plant isn't free. Anybody operating the old plants would have the trucking advantage over Tyson.

One reason Tyson could close those plants and expand the other is that there is nobody else in the old location to kill the cattle there. If there were they would not be guaranteed to get them for the expanded plant.

When there is no competition in the region, decisions are made differently than if there were."

Econ: This is the well documented strategy of Tyson's neighbor, Walmart. They go into an area with smaller satelite stores, run out the competiton (in this case Tyson just shuts the plants) and then llater shut down the satelites and build a supercenter a little further away that doesn't have to deal with the competition that was originally in the satelite regions.

~SH~ said:

Knowledgeable shareholders will not fuss in the LEAST if they aren't receiving dividends during an expansion phase in the company. There are lot of companies that never pay a single dividend and whose shares are simply traded back and forth. This is where the shareholder makes their money.

~SH~ said:

No SH, you're diverting. You were the one who brought up that investors would kick up a stink if Tyson was showing lower than average earnings. I was simply correcting you and illustrating that the company would not suffer in the least during short term hits to their share prices and that such functioning is SIMPLY NORMAL.

~SH~ said:

Read their financial reports. They're not showing losses, but DECREASED EARNINGS! BIG difference.

~SH~ said:

So they haven't expanded at all in the beef sector? No expansion at all in the last 3 years in the beef sector? Come on SH. Don't even bother debating that.

~SH~ said:

Actually, the VERY press release you posted. The increased expansion at the new facility will provide them with sufficient capacity to offset the losses at the other two plants.

~SH~ said:

I do SH. Heck, your own packer backer pal posted a history of purchases made by Tyson in the last three years. MILLIONS of dollars spent, ALL of which would have come off their bottom line which BY LAW has to be reported. SH, you're the one with ZERO proof here.

PROVE the $3.88 number please. You keep asking for us to prove our viewpoints, so right back at ya. Prove they are losing money right now (Tyson's own financial reports won't back you here).

~SH~ said:

That is the VERY NATURE of diversification and risk management. You diversify into several markets, and when one takes a downturn for awhile, you use the profits from the other markets to keep your company healthy.

~SH~ said:

You'd best go back and re-read the press releases SH.

~SH~ said:

1. I can't believe how often I have to keep answering this question. They are showing charges against profits from EXPANSION! My god man, their own web site shows the purchases they've made IN THE BEEF DIVISION in the last 3 years. Do you honestly believe they aren't REQUIRED to charge these expenses against profits?

2. Their own financials posted on their website don't show losses, but rather decreased earnings. Big difference.

3. Again, no losses to show. You're showing how little you know about their operations SH and your arguement is non-existant.

Heres a link to their 2005 books:

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/65/654/65476/items/177728/2005_AR.pdf

Notice a 3 BILLION DOLLAR DEBT LOAD? Are you going to tell me that interest on that debt load isn't a SIGNIFICANT write off against their books. And yet, with all that debt, they were still able to post a net profit of 353 million.

4. SH, you were the one that argued the two plants that closed weren't profitable. I asked you to provide ME WITH PROOF since Tyson's own press releases said nothing of the sort. For someone who accuses others of diverting, you sure seem to skate around the issues a great deal.

5. I've answered this twice above.

6. Again, its the nature of diversification. You use profits from one division to carry another for awhile. But given a 3 billion dollar debt load from expansion, mostly in the beef arena, the beef division will be carried for quite awhile. LONG TERM, SH, LONG TERM. We're not talking months or even a couple years, but rather decades.

7. I never said that Tyson wasn't revealing profits. You're twisting words again to strengthen your weak position. I said Tyson was writing off capital expenditures against profits WHICH THEY ARE REQUIRED TO DO BY LAW.

By the way, I just looked at Tyson's earnings/share in 2005. 99 cents a share on $14 shares. Not bad at all, not bad at all. Yep, thats a company thats suffering all right.

EDIT: By the way, that 3 billion dollar debt load? Its down from almost 5 billion only 2 years ago. Thats impressively quick paydown.

Rod

Rod,

None of your arguments carry any water here because I am not arguing with you about Tyson's entire operation, I am only discussing their BEEF INDUSTRY PROFITS AND LOSSES.

1. What is Tyson's beef processing division showing for recent quarterly profits or losses?

2. What is Tyson's beef industry division showing for recent expansions?

3. Where is your proof that Tyson's BEEF DIVISION profits and losses, as reported to GIPSA, considers losses only during times of expansion?

Tyson's profits and losses IN THEIR BEEF DIVISION, as recorded by GIPSA, does not show losses due to expansions. The losses are figured as a return on their investment (cattle purchases). You are completely wrong in saying that Tyson is hiding their profits behind expansions in their beef division. YOU'RE WRONG! If you believe otherwise, bring more than cheap talk.

I'm not talking about Tyson's profits and losses as a company, I'm only talking about the profits and losses in their beef division. Quit diverting the issue!

Prove to me that Tyson's beef division was profitable when the decision was made to close those plants. NOT THEORIES, HARD DATA!

You can't. None of you packer blamers operate on facts, you operate on a need to blame which is supported by theories.

~SH~

Latest posts