• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How does one keep the neighbors bull out of ones pasture?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Had a two neighbor bulls kept gittin in my pasture for almost a year...my bulls stayed home.....friend of mine when I asked what to do...gave me this advice......"buy ugly cows"

The next time the bull gets in the pasture, load him on the trailer and carry him to the sale. If anything is ever said, if the bull does not have any identification where the owner can legally prove it was his bull than there is nothing he can do about it. With a 1/4 mile between pasture the bull could have went any direction. :lol:

Our neighbours used to rent a pasture adjoining ours to a fellow who liked to background heifers on grass! We had barbed wire on both sides of that fence, and there was a track about a foot deep all along it from animals on both sides pacing. We could actually see our bulls losing weight from it.

Solution? We rented the pasture instead. End of problem. :D

Catch the buggers, corral them up. Call the brand inspector. He will haul them away and deal with your neighbor for you. Everything is on the up and up, and it WILL HURT the dead beat money wise. It cost my neighbor $250 dollars to get his one bull back. It is unfortunate that these type of things have to occur, but some people have such a high opinion of themselves/lack any conscience/ lazy/ etc. that they don't care about any hardship they may be placing on their neighbors. The only way to get through to these types of people is through their wallet.

Any where that brands are used will have a brand inspector. Most sale barns at sale day will have a brand inspector (someone to read the brands) to ensure no rustling is going on!!

How would he know? I bought a herd last august of 34 mama's n 30 calves. the mama's all had brands on their left hip plus a number brand on their right hip. Then we bought em..put our brand on em...
I mean I can see if you'd had some stolen and reported them, you could identify them. but just a man standin there in general inspecting brands..I dont think so..not at the sale barn we use. I've seen how they operate..the calves get tagged in the trailer, we drive thru and unload. They have kids working the back and the calves are then ran into holding pens with calves of similar size. all happens within about 5 minutes.

After starting this reply I did a search, for Texas Brand Inspector. Didn't find a whole lot of information. There are laws in texas for branding, and registering your brand. but I didnt really find anything stating how the brand inspector does his job. hmmmm???? Brands here are registered at the county clerks office, once every 10 years.

I also learned something about Texas Brands...and correct me if i'm wrong jersy, but I believe here in Texas, brands are registered by county......meaning that I could have the same brand registered 254 times (once for each Texas county)....OR someone else that i don't even know can have my same brand registered in a different county???? Is that right!!!??? Being by county (if i'm right) just seems like grounds for 'russlin cause even if you branded how would they know the calf was Bill Smith's from Val Verde County or Tom Jones' from Upton County????

Up home its by state ( well half of it...west So. DAk has brand law and East So. Dak. does not). And up home the brand inspector is fairly usefull! Any livestock being sold marked with a brand that is not registered to the individual selling the livestock, a flag is thrown (mostly calves, horses etc...) This works great in areas where brands are required or highly suggested, but in areas where there arn't any brands to speak of not sure what the brand inspector would do. Stand there and drool on himself as the livestock goes by i guess....dunno... :???: :???:

I know with my family in the past when our neighbors sold in the fall the inspectors found a couple of our branded calves in amonst our neighbors and weeded them out and got them back to us.......they check them pretty close. (that was out of about 500 head...) How many of my families calves did they miss?? dunno, and never will, but they do look pretty close!

Being by county (if i'm right) just seems like grounds for 'russlin!

Ok and also Jersy-Lily...go to this site I found for you.....it tells you EXACTLY what you need to do and the process that will be taken to remove this bull from your property in the state of Texas. Just a shame that is has to result with this and neighbors can't just be neighbors (meaning him being a jerk and not getting his damn bull)...anyway take a look at the website....it is chapter 142 of the Livestock Laws of the State of Texas - ESTRAYS!

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/AG/content/htm/ag.006.00.000142.00.htm#142.001.00

You are correct Tibbs. You can register a brand as many times as you want as long as it's in a different county. I know when we went to register out brand..there were several of the same brands registered, just on different areas of the cow. That's why we had to go with the front right shoulder...didn't want to but that's was only place left except out in the middle section on the side...n I didnt want that. But I hate branding on the shoulder it's a hard area to get to when your branding cows. Calves aren't that bad but puttin a cow in a chute and tryin to get the branding iron on her flat with her head in the headgate sucks.
Oh and the bull that's been on my property for the last week..the owner called yesterday evenin and said he couldn't find him. This is after I've gone out daily doin my rounds in the pasture locating him, letting him know where he's "holed up", guess I'll hafta go back out there today n beat the bushes n call him and let him know where he's at. Great..means I might have more tore up fences if he moved on to the next ranchers place.

I was told by a neighbor that in Texas, they just check ownership at the slaughter facilities. If the critter doesn't have the sellers brand they have a case for stolen goods. I don't know if this is true or not.

In SD, on the west river side, whenever you sell or buy cattle, horses, or mules, and possibly buffalo, you are supposed to have a brand inspection or a "legel bill of sale". On the bill of sale, it's only good for 5 head and can't have anyone elses brand on the livestock. All trnsactions are regestered an/or kewpt track of at the head office, so there is a record of who sold what to whom and when. Cost $.70 a head and mileage.

In the situation that Jersey described, when you went to sell an animal with your brand and another brand on it, the inspector could ask you for the proper paperwork for the other brand. If you didn't have that paperwork, you could be charged with stealing.

I was a local brand inspector and would inspect at a salebarn once in awhile, during the bigger runs in the fall.

Brand inspection keeps honest people honest and the crooks will always try to figure out a way around it.

In this state, if you have someone elses animal, you can charge for the keep of said animal until the owner gets it, I believe. But we all just try to get along and help each other out. A little grass ain't worth ruining a friendship or a good neighbor over. Same with fences. If the neighbor don't want to fix his/her share, there are laws to deal with it, but we all feel it's better to stay away from laws and lawyers and just get it taken care of by other means.

When a neighbors critter gets in your pasture, your a pretty poor neighbor if you won't rope and stretch out that critter so his skin gets the wrinkles out and then he can grow bigger! :wink: :lol: :shock:

maybe try shooting it with a less lethal projectile, say a paintball. I don't know if it would work on a bull but it sure keeps the deer out of the garden, and its fun to do.
www.gamefacepaintball.com has a Recon marker that would work.

It's not mandatory here either. A brand is a damn good return address for lkivestock. Up here, any livestock without a brand belongs to who is in possession. Thats why they came up with branding in the first place. Anyone who doesn't brand will end up like Mr. Maverick from Texas. Read your history. :lol:

Latest posts