• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How many folks does your ranch employ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Or maybe no one can afford the wages! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We've always operated on the principle that you never hire someone to do something you can do yourself. It's always worked well for us, as long as you ignore the very interesting renovation projects that have occurred now and again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the only time we have help around is probably only at branding and that is probably more for the social side of the deal. other than that my wife and i handle everything. we are by no means the biggest operation, but most days we have our hands full. her and i get it done and i'm proud of that.

Gosh we are a little different...we have 5 fulltime guys and their families help out when school doesn't interfer..lol I'm considered partime..but there are days when I help out all day too. Then in the summer we hire kids to help out in the hayfield...so even though we're all employed by the ranch, we still kind of feel like it's a "family" ranch...oh ya..plus all the dogs!

On the ol' Spearhead Ranch, it is mostly Mom, Pop, and our hardworking son. We stay busy doing the cattle work and most necessary jobs. One or two part-time people assist during calving. Our daughter and daughter-in-law help during the summer with haying, and we hire out about a third of the hay to be baled by a custom haying operation. We do a lot of the windmill work ourselves, but if a new head or wheel needs to be put up, a boom truck with operator is usually hired. Some fencing is contracted out to others. Mechanic-type jobs aren't our forte, so we let professionals work on vehicles and tractors. The only mechanical minded person on the ranch is Peach, and she changes the oil on tractors and Polaris Rangers. The pickups all get to go to town for oil changes. My job is mostly that of chief photographer. :wink:

Soapweed said:
On the ol' Spearhead Ranch, it is mostly Mom, Pop, and our hardworking son. We stay busy doing the cattle work and most necessary jobs. One or two part-time people assist during calving. Our daughter and daughter-in-law help during the summer with haying, and we hire out about a third of the hay to be baled by a custom haying operation. We do a lot of the windmill work ourselves, but if a new head or wheel needs to be put up, a boom truck with operator is usually hired. Some fencing is contracted out to others. Mechanic-type jobs aren't our forte, so we let professionals work on vehicles and tractors. The only mechanical minded person on the ranch is Peach, and she changes the oil on tractors and Polaris Rangers. The pickups all get to go to town for oil changes. My job is mostly that of chief photographer. :wink:

same here, Soap. :)

Me and Jim. Jim would probably like to retire at 75, but he can't afford to just yet :lol:. Besides, I remind him this work keeps him in shape, what else would he do? :wink: :D He likes the haying/machinery stuff, and I like the cattle stuff... so we get along pretty well.

We have good friends help at branding, going to the forest, rotating forest pastures, coming home from the forest, and shipping. The past two summers we've hired someone to rebuild fence... and that's been a luxury! That's been the first time we've hired a job done since I started here.

Other than that, it's us two, the dogs, and a few horses :D .

WyomingRancher said:
. . . Besides, I remind him this work keeps him in shape, what else would he do? :wink: :D . . .

I once told my wife that I'm out of shape. No you're not, she said, "round" is a shape! So sweet of her :? :x

We have 6 "boys". They are all sons or grandsons and they are no longer boys. They are taller than 6 feet and can eat a TON of beans and rice and meat. I have to toot their horn...they can ride, rope, weld, fabricate, repair, and maintain anything on this ranch. These are exceptional men. A couple of them are my sons. They don't know how much they are loved and appreciated.

Myself
1 full time cowboy
1 full time fence/feeder/maint
1-2 day work cowboys a day or two a week as needed (more when busy, less when slow)

Two full time guys and me to get in the way and make things more difficult. My two boys and one spouse helped out for haying season.

Id be real interested in the number cows or grassers or cattle per full time person. We are 300.

I guess the most I've run is about three hundred of each but we bought in our feed. Some of those yearlings were on leased grass too. Quite a few guys run 3-400 cows up here with family help during haying.

Latest posts