• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to Find a Wife?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kato

Reaction score
New York state farmer writes personal ad in giant corn-stalk letters
17/08/2005 3:30:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CANANDAIGUA, N.Y. (AP) - Nearly 50 years ago, a bachelor farmer with "matrimony in mind" spelled out his desire to meet "a lady with a tractor" in a personal ad in the Indiana Evening Gazette. He had one request: "Please send picture of tractor."

BEN DOBBIN
Cattle-crops farmer Pieter DeHond wouldn't "stoop so low" as the classifieds, nor is he looking for extra agricultural machinery. Instead, the 41-year-old divorced father of two planted a lovelorn message in a cow pasture in 50-foot letters made from corn stalks.

It reads: "S.W.F Got-2 (love symbol) Farm'n."

Underneath is a 1,000-foot-long arrow pointing single white females to his house.

"It only took me about an hour - I did it with a corn planter in May," DeHond said Wednesday as he removed weeds from the 18-acre field. "I was just horsing around."

In place of a newspaper ad, DeHond said he decided on an impulse to use up the extra corn seed left after spring planting at his 200-acre Pleasure Acres farm in Ontario County in western New York.

"I was going to clean the corn planter out - instead I went out and wrote a letter," he said.

"I wouldn't place a personal ad in the paper. To me it seems desperate," he added, laughing. "This is more of a fun thing. I put this out in a field where nobody could see it unless you flew over it. The folks here in Canandaigua are always asking me why I don't have a wife, and I was just kinda playing a game with them, that's all."

The message, measuring about 900 feet wide by 600 feet, was easily legible from the air - airplanes frequently pass over between Rochester and New York City - when the stalks reached seven feet tall. But a few days ago, DeHond led his cows into the pasture and they chomped up the field corn.

Neighbour Bob Mincer, a former Delta Air Lines inspector, flies a 1946 Piper Cub and has taken DeHond up for a bird's-eye view of his creation.

"He's a great guy with a good sense of humour," Mincer said. "I've seen some crop spellings before and this is very precise. It came out well."

DeHond was working in a factory when he split up with his wife and went into farming seven years ago.

While life on the farm is "something I've always wanted to do," DeHond said running a business and looking after his children, Nathan, 13, and Amanda, 14, doesn't leave a lot of room for socializing.

"I enjoy being in the outdoors," he said, but farmers often "don't get out very much."

No worries! His corny appeal, featured this week in his hometown Daily Messenger newspaper, has already drawn quite a few phone calls and e-mails.

"I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't a little proud," DeHond said.

Did you see that in the Western Producer a couple of years ago, where the guy fed his cows on a side of a hill, where his wife could see out the kitchen window? He fed the cows so a message to her was made saying "I love (a heart was used) U. It was Valentine's Day. All I could think was, aww how sweet!

Shelly said:
Did you see that in the Western Producer a couple of years ago, where the guy fed his cows on a side of a hill, where his wife could see out the kitchen window? He fed the cows so a message to her was made saying "I love (a heart was used) U. It was Valentine's Day. All I could think was, aww how sweet!

I know that guy. He surprised me. I didn't think he was the type. :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
That's right up there with peeing a heart in a snowbank lol.

or buying your wife a vacuum cleaner for valentine's day :shock: :oops: -----er----not that i would know what that's like :oops:

I once bought my wife a shotgun for her birthday. She used it twice(as long as I was throwing the clay pigeons) and then she gave it to our oldest son. Now if ,I kiss his butt hard enough,he lets me borrow it. Priceless!!! :lol:

TimH said:
I once bought my wife a shotgun for her birthday. She used it twice(as long as I was throwing the clay pigeons) and then she gave it to our oldest son. Now if ,I kiss his butt hard enough,he lets me borrow it. Priceless!!! :lol:

"priceless" is right!!!! :D 8) :wink:

And make a million! You could be on easy street! :wink: There's alot of men out there that could be taught a thing or two! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Never trust the guys that are tooo romantic. Something fishy with them.
To me the practical ones are best for the long haul. Of course a little romance helps :D
I hope the fellow who wrote the aerial message for fun catches a good one for all his efforts.

Be carfull what you ask for you just might get it. Girlfriends are much better than a wife. That is if you got it to do over again.

You should advise any young man planning to marry to buy his prospect an olive green electric can opener as a gift. This prepares the prospective bride for the many disappointments they will have in the future.

That was my wife's first Christmas present from me over 25 years ago and the one present she still vividly remembers!!!

Well, if she has secrets, you can bet they're not secrets now! Lord, that woman can talk! She just started back after a month of holidays, I bet it just about killed her not to have everybody to chat up. She hasn't stopped talking since she got back!

As for memorable gifts, the one that sticks out in my mind is the green rubber boots three sizes too small. Husband will always be reminded of those! He's learned the hard way-personal gifts only!

You always buy the jeans too small and the bras too big-it's simple math lol. Do you think Tori is a talker I always thought she was kiund of shy and withdrawn lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Well I'm not going to reveal my romantic tricks on here-you gotta think of your own lol.

That c s wilson fellow must be sneaking around there again :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts