• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to take the soreness out of a bite

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
I screwed around and got myself dog bit this morning. I'm actually feeling quite betrayed by my loyal aussie but that is beside the point right now. No, I didn't shoot him and don't plan on it. It was as much my fault as it was his. Rest asaured, he would be gone if he'd had got one of the kids. Or even acted like it.
I was a little rough in displining him and he was defending himself. But he got me good. He got the meaty part of my thumb towards the palm of my hand and also the back of my hand. The one on my thunb is deep and kinda torn. I cleaned it best I could but as the day progresses it gets more sore. Doubt there is any need for stitches.
I'm out of turpintine from the last we dehorned and won't be back to town till monday. Don't want to make a special trip unless no other options are available.

Hopeing ya'll had some sort of super home remedy that would draw the soreness out.

Got any nolvasan (sp) we keep it in the house. Its for horses but it works wonders on ugly cuts and gashes. Father in law got into the chainsaw a couple years ago...really nasty....typical man refused to go to the dr....I used the nolvasan on it and gave him a lil baby food jar of it to take home..he said it never did get sore and healed really fast. There's also a nolvasan spray, but I've not had any experience with that..but has same ingredients. It's an antiseptic cream, that I have....and doesn't burn at all. Lil dab will do ya, then wrap it with gauze.

Make sure you have had yer tetinus shot up to date!!!!!

If you get an infection in a tendon sheath it can travel really fast.
A thumb is a pretty precious item. I know you're invincible :p but have you considered...
a doctor?? :eek:

I train bite dogs and have been bitten several times, hand bites are the worst, as the bones get compressed and bruising is bad. Ice it every time you can and watch for infection. Flush the holes out with peroxide and you will make it, it just hurts like hell gettin bit on the hand.

I'm with the Corona remedy; followed with a "little" Cutty and water. The water being the ice on the bite.

I'd call the Dr

Dr.Migulicutty can be found at your local liquor store I prefer spearmint schnapps for my ache's and pain or whatever..

Cert get you a quart of good whiskey,put a lil in a pan and soak your hand in it while you drink the rest,the secret is to keep soaking your hand till you have the rest drunk,then take you a lil nap when you get up your hand will be much better................good luck

Thanks for all the replies. Tried Haymaker's suggestion last night. I don't remember it hurting after about 3 hours of soaking. :D

Had to actually go see a real doc yesterday. It started shooting red lines up my arm toward my elbow. I have "doc approved" antibiotic to apply in and on the bite for a few days. Red lines are all but gone.
Man what a time I had explaining the corona and turpintine concoction to the doc. :roll: Least I didn't use lard like I do when we dehorn calves!!! :shock:

Had to update my tetnus shot too. I hate being on the business end of a needle.

I've been following Haymakers prescription for the last couple months during shipping-- I think it has been helping out the arthritis and rheumatis-- and I think I'm even "innoculated" for a few bites I haven't got yet :wink: :lol:

Usually during shipping whenever weighup is over at the scales, the cases of beer and a bottle or two come out while the buyer makes out checks and I finish up the shipping papers -- this year with the $700-800 calf prices I have been noticing a few more bottles of Crown Royal rather than rotgut :) ........

Navalsan would really work. I worked in a corn processing plant and we would get cuts on the hand. They would gt corn juice and sting and swell bad. They had tubes of antiseptic cream that did wonders for the pain and healing,

PPRM

Glad to hear you are doing better and didn't have to go on I-V antibiotics.

Latest posts