• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Howdy all

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bman

Reaction score
New member here and first post. Have been reading the board for a while and am ready to jump in! I currently live in western OR and am looking to relocate to east Texas. Would like to start a small (50-100 acre) cattle ranch for some added income. Would like to hear from any ranchers and especialy folks from east Texas. Have never ranched or owned cattle so I am starting from scratch. Have been doing some reading and would like to hear your suggestions on primer education for such an endeavor.
:D bman

Welcome to ranchers. What part of East Texas are you lookin to relocate in? 50 to 100 acres is gonna put you in the 10 to 25 head range in this part of the country. That is if you have it all in grazing. But you will either need to have hay to cut and bale or buy hay. I'm thinkin an operation of that size it'd be just as simple to buy what hay you need.

And before the first head steps foot on your place, have all fencing, watering, and workin pens in place. It's much easier to handle the unexpected when your prepared than it is to prepare for the unexpected on short notice.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Welcome to ranchers. What part of East Texas are you lookin to relocate in? 50 to 100 acres is gonna put you in the 10 to 25 head range in this part of the country. That is if you have it all in grazing. But you will either need to have hay to cut and bale or buy hay. I'm thinkin an operation of that size it'd be just as simple to buy what hay you need.

And before the first head steps foot on your place, have all fencing, watering, and workin pens in place. It's much easier to handle the unexpected when your prepared than it is to prepare for the unexpected on short notice.

I agree. In Southern LA i can run about 2 head per acre. Like jersey said, get everything ready to go before ggetting the cattle. Be ready for lots of HEAT AND SKEETERS. Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard. :D

I see your already fitting in with the humor of the site with a statement like this." Would like to start a small (50-100 acre) cattle ranch for some added income." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the fourms! East Texas? I´d ask the same question, which part? Quite a bit of difference between Beaumont and the other side of the line from Shreveport.

2 head to 1 acre.....wow....we are closer to bein 1 head to 3 acres here.

Ill get you a pic of my roping arena as soon as i get home. i lost a yearling colt in it yesterday cuz its so high. She was laying down in the middle of it. Not bad for only a month of growing. :shock: Gotta love that bermuda/ bahia/ alicia/ jiggs grass we grow here. Hell i got 8 corrientes and 2 horses in a 6 acre pasture and i still have to bush hog it to keep the grass down.

RobinFarmandRanch said:
2 head to 1 acre.....wow....we are closer to bein 1 head to 3 acres here.

Ill get you a pic of my roping arena as soon as i get home. i lost a yearling colt in it yesterday cuz its so high. She was laying down in the middle of it. Not bad for only a month of growing. :shock: Gotta love that bermuda/ bahia/ alicia/ jiggs grass we grow here. Hell i got 8 corrientes and 2 horses in a 6 acre pasture and i still have to bush hog it to keep the grass down.

Long live bermuda. :D

Welcome! When you get started, take some of those good Braman mama cows and breed them to this bull.

Gunsmokecattlevisions-1.jpg

You'll be way ahead to sell $5,000 mouse colored steers for the big slick shows down there. Also, be sure to have those cattle on FH's mineral. :wink:
With that in mind, that's just a load of more rancher humor. Good luck with your small operation, and best wishes on finding a unique way to make it profitable.

Hi bman..I'm a newbie also...I do have 20.2 ac. right next door to BFE..has a double wide on it, bout a 2 ac tank, coastal, post oak,pecans, hickory, deer, and pigs... :D

thanks for the welcome. I am looking at the area around Tyler, from about Mt Pleasant south to about Nacodoches those areas east of Hwy 19.
The wife and I spent about 2 weeks traveling around east and central Texas this last August and we were realy impressed with the greenery and lushness of the afor mentioned areas around Tyler. It appears that pasture lands at least in that part of East TX grows very dense and green even in the later summer months,l we just could not get over that. We assumed that by visiting during August we'd hit the worst of the summer heat and as such would have no dilusions about what we'd be in for. I did consider the fencing/pens/gates etc to be a required improvement on any property we might consider so Im glad to hear that at least were on track as far as that go's. Does anyone know if the big ag colleges in TX offer courses for rank amaturers needing advise on ranching? Thanks again, bman

Sound advice, Take heed !! Good luck on your endeavor !! :)

Latest posts