• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Howdy From The Frozen North

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dang. Thats nice country. I had no idea that the land was that fertile 8 hours north of Edmonton. You get more than a 1/2 hour north of me, and you're into muskegs and heavy forest. Another 3 hours and you get lakes and shield country.

But I'm a little partial to where I hang my hat :) 4 and 5 ton/acre alfalfa is easy to get used to on land that sells for 30-40K/quarter. Not 10 years ago, you could get your choice of land for $15k - $18K/quarter. Wish I'd been around then :)

Rod

You have a beautiful country silver, and it hasn't looked that good around here for years. But I do have to disagree with you. The best place for running cattle must be somewhere where it rains, and the feed no hay.

I can dream can't I? :wink:

Oh yeah, and where it doesn't get to be 60 below. You guys are tough!

DiamondSCattleCo said:
Dang. Thats nice country. I had no idea that the land was that fertile 8 hours north of Edmonton. You get more than a 1/2 hour north of me, and you're into muskegs and heavy forest. Another 3 hours and you get lakes and shield country.

But I'm a little partial to where I hang my hat :) 4 and 5 ton/acre alfalfa is easy to get used to on land that sells for 30-40K/quarter. Not 10 years ago, you could get your choice of land for $15k - $18K/quarter. Wish I'd been around then :)

Rod

I hear you about the land prices, sounds about the same here, although the last year or two I think they have gone up some more. Too much oil money around here. Sounds like your hay crops are similar to ours, but we are lucky to get a second cut. If we fertilize and the moisture is right we get second cut, but we have enough land we allways (touch wood) get enough feed with leftovers.

the real jake said:
You have a beautiful country silver, and it hasn't looked that good around here for years. But I do have to disagree with you. The best place for running cattle must be somewhere where it rains, and the feed no hay.

I can dream can't I? :wink:

Oh yeah, and where it doesn't get to be 60 below. You guys are tough!

lol, you might be right. But I would way sooner deal with cold than heat. I figger folks gotta be way tougher than me to live in country where it regularly gets 100 degrees F or more. Like Grandpa allways said... "you can allways put more clothes on, but there's only so much to take off."
Now, to get away without putting up hay.... that would be a treat.

Latest posts