• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Humble branding pictures of the day, April 26, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Theybrungustothedance.jpg

They brung us to the dance.
Thesquaredancecallerhadthecowsdosidoing.jpg

The square dance caller had the cows do-si-doing.
Sortingcowsfromcalves.jpg

Sorting cows from calves
Comingthrough.jpg

Coming through
Brandingacalf.jpg

Kosmo Kid branding a calf
Peachdoingthevaccinating.jpg

Peach doing the vaccinating
Thetippingtableistipped.jpg

The tipping table is tipped.
Myjobistopushthemin.jpg

My job is to push them into the chute.
Thefunnerleadinguptothetable.jpg

The funnel leading up to the table
Calveswaitingtheirturn.jpg

Calves waiting their turn
Thewholeset-upismadefromportablepanels.jpg

The whole set-up is made from portable corral panels.
OurpanelsaremadebyScottManufacturing.jpg

The panels are made by Scott Manufacturing of Gordon, Nebraska. They are well-made and very user-friendly with excellent latches.
Theelectricgeneratorisfaraway.jpg

The electric generator keeps the branding iron hot. It is parked quite a ways from our work area so that the noise is kept to a minimum.
The hot electric iron hangs from the corral panel in the interval between calves.
Viewfrommyperspective.jpg

View from my perspective
Apeachofagal.jpg

A Peach of a gal
Vaccinatoratwork.jpg

Vaccinator at work
Applyingthesqueeze.jpg

Applying the squeeze
Goingdown.jpg

Going down
Thisoneisdoneandheadedout.jpg

This one is done and headed out.
Oneofthebiggercalvesinthebunch.jpg

One of the bigger calves in the bunch
Thiscalfjustfounditsmomma.jpg

This baby just found its momma. Three of us branded 144 calves starting at 2 p.m. and finished the last one at 6:45. It took two minutes per calf.
Meanwhilebackattheranch.jpg

Meanwhile back at the ranch

as usual wonderful pics Soapweed, what make is the calf table and did it function well or as it should have , any design flaws?

looks OK soap. :D

Your table looks pretty good but I'd bet you would like mine better. It's Calf Roper made in Alberta the whole side opens as you tip them so only one bar holds them down and a rope on the back leg.I built a narrow short chute /alley for behind my table so the pusher can hold a calf ready with just their knee and have it ready to go when the finished one leaves the chute.
Britt and I due most of the calves ourselves over a period of a few days. We also vaccinate the cows and haul the PB to separate pastures. NO hurry just the job done right. :D

hayguy said:
as usual wonderful pics Soapweed, what make is the calf table and did it function well or as it should have , any design flaws?

The table is made by Foremost. It is just a miniature squeeze chute that tips. It actually worked quite well, and we didn't discover any design flaws. It is balanced nicely, and wasn't hard to tip either direction. Knowing nothing about calf tables, and having never being around any, it is hard to make comparisons. I would guess this Foremost is as good as any calf table, and quite possible better than most.

Soapweed said:
hayguy said:

The table is made by Foremost. It is just a miniature squeeze chute that tips. It actually worked quite well, and we didn't discover any design flaws. It is balanced nicely, and wasn't hard to tip either direction. Knowing nothing about calf tables, and having never being around any, it is hard to make comparisons. I would guess this Foremost is as good as any calf table, and quite possible better than most.

I think they are a pretty good table. My Brother in law bought one because he couldn't have the same as we used. :D

I also have solid sides made out of plastic barrel on my little holding chute so the calves can't get their head out between the pipes.

If you are castrating at branding I think you would like the design of BMR's table better Soap.
We band at birth so there is no need to tip, Debbie gives two vaccinations and operates the table, I brand, implant steers and dehorn if needed. One other person pushes calves up. Last year we did the heifer bunch (which were hornless) at an average of 50 seconds.

Our table is also low enough that Debbie can work everything from her side.

gcreekrch said:
. . .I brand, implant steers and dehorn if needed. One other person pushes calves up. Last year we did the heifer bunch (which were hornless) at an average of 50 seconds. . . .

"Dehorn"? What the heck is "dehorn"?

:wink: :lol:

We have been looking at the Foremost. I noticed you branded them when the calf is standing, is it possible to brand them while the table is tipped? Dad has back trouble and likes to brand when the are tipped on there side. I didn't know if the Foremost tipped over too far or not for a rib brand.

thanks

lazy ace

gcreekrch said:
If you are castrating at branding I think you would like the design of BMR's table better Soap. We band at birth so there is no need to tip, Debbie gives two vaccinations and operates the table, I brand, implant steers and dehorn if needed. One other person pushes calves up. Last year we did the heifer bunch (which were hornless) at an average of 50 seconds.

Our table is also low enough that Debbie can work everything from her side.

But I already have the new paint scuffed off of this one, and it is kind of dirtied up besides.. :? :wink: Both of the past two summers we have had some pneumonia problems and have had to mass doctor quite a few calves. This year we are giving Inforce 3, hoping to head this problem off at the pass. But being somewhat of a realist (which is about halfway between an optimist and a pessimist), I am thinking that if we do need to summer doctor any calves, this little miniature chute and alleyway would come in quite handy.

lazy ace said:
We have been looking at the Foremost. I noticed you branded them when the calf is standing, is it possible to brand them while the table is tipped? Dad has back trouble and likes to brand when the are tipped on there side. I didn't know if the Foremost tipped over too far or not for a rib brand.

thanks

lazy ace

I think it would work fine to brand on the tipped over side. In our case, the Kosmo Kid did both the branding and the castrating. It worked good for him to brand while Peach gave two vaccinations in the neck, the Inforce 3 internasally, and an implant. She also checked for horns. Then Peach went to the far side and pulled them over while Kosmo was hanging up the iron and obtaining his knife. Peach would put a rope on the top hind leg and dally up while Kosmo operated. The side panel, which had to be let down to brand, was left in the down position. In this down position, it gave Kosmo leverage to pull the table back upright so the calf could be let out.

I have a Johnson calf table like that. We really like it as far as tables go. I really think that it is the best one around. It is nice not having to mess with all the bars and such. Still not as good as a bunch of wrestlers.

Good pics Soap. We purchased a Formost last year after looking at every make we could find. It works fantastic for us and the nicest thing is that it is self catching so one man alone can brand a lot of calves if needed (although 2 is faster). You will soon need an extra truck to haul everything around...and then you might as well form a custom crew...and then things start to slip at home...and then you don't have time to take and post pics...and then....

You better sell that cradle.

A pair of those back catcher knee pads make the pusher job a lot more pleasant. Especially if you can get a young back-catcher to wear then while pushing!
Good looking calves as usual. Why did you go away from the gismo?

lazy ace said:

thanks

lazy ace

We have a Big Valley table and we do all of our branding with them tipped over. We brand on the hip and looking at how far that one went over I don't think you would have any trouble on the ribs.
That looks like a pretty nice little table its good to see go from being a cowboy to a cattleman. :D :D

That looks just like our table.jody. my dad boughtit at an auction 20 years ago for ten bucks. This year I put new lumber on it. Got a hundred bucks in it now but it works great. Ill have to post some pics.

cure said:
lazy ace said:

thanks

lazy ace

We have a Big Valley table and we do all of our branding with them tipped over. We brand on the hip and looking at how far that one went over I don't think you would have any trouble on the ribs.
That looks like a pretty nice little table its good to see you go from being a cowboy to a cattleman. :D :D

Guess we are back to being cowboys instead of cattlemen. We had a family meeting, all three of us, and decided we like our calf traps and horses better than the calf table. Peach cleaned up the table with soap and water, and we turned it back to the dealer along with the pre-agreed rental fee. I had decided to try the calf cradle for two reasons: hopefully it would make life easier for my dear vaccinator wife; and because it would be easy for just the three of us to brand. After giving it a good try for one day, Peach said she preferred the calf's neck being on the ground as it is when the calf has been secured with the calf trap gizmo. And then yesterday, just the three of us branded 121 calves by dragging them with horses and securing them on the calf traps. When using the table, it took an average of two minutes per calf. With the calf trap, it took a little longer (two and a fourth minutes per calf), but we had a lot more fun and enjoyment in accomplishing the task.

Soapweed said:
cure said:
lazy ace said:

thanks

lazy ace

That looks like a pretty nice little table its good to see you go from being a cowboy to a cattleman. :D :D

Guess we are back to being cowboys instead of cattlemen. We had a family meeting, all three of us, and decided we like our calf traps and horses better than the calf table. Peach cleaned up the table with soap and water, and we turned it back to the dealer along with the pre-agreed rental fee. I had decided to try the calf cradle for two reasons: hopefully it would make life easier for my dear vaccinator wife; and because it would be easy for just the three of us to brand. After giving it a good try for one day, Peach said she preferred the calf's neck being on the ground as it is when the calf has been secured with the calf trap gizmo. And then yesterday, just the three of us branded 121 calves by dragging them with horses and securing them on the calf traps. When using the table, it took an average of two minutes per calf. With the calf trap, it took a little longer (two and a fourth minutes per calf), but we had a lot more fun and enjoyment in accomplishing the task.

Well you gave it a try. :D

I think a couple of days might have been more fair to the table. I noticed Peach was vaccinating while they were standing up. I do mine tipped and go in behind the head catch. They aren't swinging their heads back and forth.
But you have to do what your comfortable with and getting the job done right is #1 and if your having fun all the better. :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:
cure said:

Well you gave it a try. :D

I think a couple of days might have been more fair to the table. I noticed Peach was vaccinating while they were standing up. I do mine tipped and go in behind the head catch. They aren't swinging their heads back and forth.
But you have to do what your comfortable with and getting the job done right is #1 and if your having fun all the better. :D :D

With the table, we branded in standing up position and didn't even tip the heifers. Maybe we should have. :? Oh well, it is sure more fun to rope them. :)

Soapweed said:
cure said:
lazy ace said:

thanks

lazy ace

Soap I wish you had one like jody pictured to try out. With only 3 bars holding the calf down it gives you alot more access to the calf. I have been around a hi-qual table and after 5 calves I had smashed 8 of my fingers and it was near impossible to see the calf let alone cut him.

Latest posts