• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I dont even know what to label this..I'm so upset.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
Daughter came home from school today, said in history class they had read an article in our local county newspaper. Trans Texas Corridor....a new proposed super highway that will , in the long run, connect canada and mexico. Well looking at their proposed map, it not only wipes out our house place, it also wipes out our ranch where our cows are. We live in a very small community, most of the people are related in some way shape or form. Decendants of settlers that came here in the 1850s. We live on land that was in my father in laws family and our cattle are on land that belonged to my mother in laws family. They want a 4 mile wide stretch of land, to build this highway on. I'm at a loss as to what to do, where to go, who to contact, etc etc...... :( :( :(
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
Still, even if it is years away...I dont want my kids having to deal with this..it's just not right!!!! I sat down this after noon and counted immediate family members...such as uncles aunts and cousins that this would affect....33 members of our family. That's not countin all the other people in this community that are related, like second cousins etc...
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
the corridor location is not set yet. there have been lots of neighborhood "question & answer sessions". check with your local TxDOT office for locations and times in your area.

http://www.keeptexasmoving.com/
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
I've already been to that site. Yes it's all a proposed thing..but it's still not right. There's others that will feel the same way I feel on this subject. Who wants to see their lifes work ripped up to put in a super highway.
The meeting was in early august so the paper stated. which I didnt know anything about until today.
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I've already been to that site. Yes it's all a proposed thing..but it's still not right. There's others that will feel the same way I feel on this subject. Who wants to see their lifes work ripped up to put in a super highway.
The meeting was in early august so the paper stated. which I didnt know anything about until today.

i wasn't discounting your feelings, merely giving you info on where to go to voice your opinion. yes, lots of folks feel the way you do & a good way to make yourself heard is to attend a meeting and ask questions and voice your concerns. i'm pretty sure there will be more meetings because those listed aren't the first round that they've had. those are just the current ones. keep an eye on that site for future meetings or as i suggested earlier, contact your local TxDOT office.
 

TXTibbs

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
0
Location
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Um...the port to plains or so i have always heard it called, was not going to be that far east....it was actually going to run up through like Eldorado, San Angelo up to Lubbock, Amarillo, through Kansas...Nebraska....basically following HIghway 83 all the way to Canada. High way 83 already runs from Mexico to Canada. Jersy believe me....you have nothing to worry about.....it won't happen. I wouldn't belive some article from a newpaper.....seriously not sure of the website, but last i seen the proposed path was like I said.....i dunno
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
Well I failed to mention why I think I was upset the most...amanda was cryin big ole crocodile tears tellin me how much she loves livin here..it's the only place she's ever known...n It just got to me.
 

alabama

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Daughter came home from school today, said in history class they had read an article in our local county newspaper. Trans Texas Corridor....a new proposed super highway that will , in the long run, connect canada and mexico. Well looking at their proposed map, it not only wipes out our house place, it also wipes out our ranch where our cows are. We live in a very small community, most of the people are related in some way shape or form. Decendants of settlers that came here in the 1850s. We live on land that was in my father in laws family and our cattle are on land that belonged to my mother in laws family. They want a 4 mile wide stretch of land, to build this highway on. I'm at a loss as to what to do, where to go, who to contact, etc etc...... :( :( :(


Start building. Make the property way to valuable for them to buy. They will take the cheapest route if they can. :twisted:
 

Northern Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,247
Reaction score
0
Location
saskatchewan
I went through this ten years or so-the proposed route was anglewise through our entire place-I just plain was an a...hole about it and they left me alone and moved a mile south of me. Prepare yourself for pressure from neighbors who'll be grinding their own axe on this one. Had tons of pressure to cave in so they could supposedly get rich selling land to the government.
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,963
Reaction score
10
Location
NE Oregon
ok,

reality check......4 mile swath for a friggin highway, I don't care if it is a super highway......So if that part is way off, how much of the rest could be hyper-bole???????????

Too often we worry about things that nevcer come to pass..... I also know from personal experience what N R said is correct...

I am not discounting your felings, just trying to help by giving a different perspective,


PPRM
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
That 4 mile wide path got me to thinking too...I've done several searches and have found a lil more about it. It's not as huge as the original article stated..the study is bein done on a 4 mile wide path. I'm thinkin to myself we've got bottom land...LOTS of water when it rains..why would they wanna build a highway somewhere they would hafta build it like a bridge? I guess I jumped the gun a lil bit on my post but heck, I was seein red.

LOL Northern Rancher....dont for one minute think I couldn't be a female version of what you said if the need arises.

But ya know we sat down last night with the kids talking about it..lookin online at the proposed paths...and for the first time in my kids lives they really voiced their opinion on how they feel about where we live and what it really means to them. Made me proud to know that they feel just as strongly about this as I do. I've researched our family history for years with the hopes that they'd someday be interested in all my hours of work. It made my heart swell with pride knowing they'd paid attention to all the lil stories I've come across about this land and all the people that have come before us. I'm tellin ya..both of em was "stompin foot" mad about the thought of someone comin thru and takin our land.
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,963
Reaction score
10
Location
NE Oregon
Jersey,

It is a very personal thing and we weren't pooh-pawing your feelings in any way...What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and in adversity you find who is family, who comes together.....So hey, the adversity part was a dry run at this point, the tightness from coming together was real....

Go enjoy what you have,

Pat
 

sw

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
0
Jersey,
we got an email alert last February aobut all of this BS with a map included. I have permantly deleted it from the computer so I can't forward it to you. You can contact Sharon Spenrath, the ANCW legistative/issues awareness chair and the TCW legislative/issues awareness cahir. She sent the email, she knows who to contact to raise hell. email [email protected] Also Tibbs, there a FOUR of these highways in Texas with a loop of off one of them, Jersey has everything in the world to be concerned about. :mad: :mad: I never thought to share that email with anyone in TX, wished I would have. If they are planning something, and they tell the public, they have already decided what they are going to do. WE KNOW. We had all kinds of public meetings about reintroducing wolves, they already had the plan in place, they just pretend to listen. I told many people that they had better be prepared because wolves are coming. Everybody just said, "oh that will never happen, the public won't allow it". Yeah right.
 

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
11,308
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Texas
http://www.keeptexasmoving.com/flash/interactive_map/interactive.htm

this is a link to the map of proposed highways. the small green outlined one to the west of houston is the one that would affect us. Talkin to Tibbs there are others planned in the western section of the state. But these roads dont stop when they hit the texas border...they will continue all the way up to canada in different directions.

thanks sw for the information and email contact. you betcha I'm gonna raise a stink.
 

TWOROPES

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 24, 2005
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Location
south central texas
The trans corridor project and the texas 130 project are going on at the same time, The state has already imminent domained a bunch of ranch land in Guadalupe county for the 130 when ranchers refused to sell, and are now heading into Gonzales county. Kudos to the gonzales county commisioners court for passing a county ordinance outlawing the 130 from coming through the county. The gonzales county sheriff will be responsible to his constituants when the state troopers come to serve the domain papers and order them out of his county, this could get messy. typical texas politics. The gonzales county commissioners court is made up of ranchers so they have lands best interest at heart, not some damn politicians kickback from conglomerate construction corps. Im sorry but Alabama is wrong, the state will offer you a flat fee and then domain your land, no matter what improvements you have made. construction equipment runs on diesel, and diesel burns........
 

Kato

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,679
Reaction score
0
Location
Manitoba - At the end of the road
This sounds fishy. There's not a road in the world that cuts a four mile wide path. Could it be they mean four lane??? :???:

After all, just because it's in the paper doesn't mean it's accurate.
 

alabama

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
TWOROPES said:
The trans corridor project and the texas 130 project are going on at the same time, The state has already imminent domained a bunch of ranch land in Guadalupe county for the 130 when ranchers refused to sell, and are now heading into Gonzales county. Kudos to the gonzales county commisioners court for passing a county ordinance outlawing the 130 from coming through the county. The gonzales county sheriff will be responsible to his constituants when the state troopers come to serve the domain papers and order them out of his county, this could get messy. typical texas politics. The gonzales county commissioners court is made up of ranchers so they have lands best interest at heart, not some damn politicians kickback from conglomerate construction corps. Im sorry but Alabama is wrong, the state will offer you a flat fee and then domain your land, no matter what improvements you have made. construction equipment runs on diesel, and diesel burns........
They must pay you fair market value for your land and any improvements.
 

alabama

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
It sounds as if they are doing a 4-mile wide corroder study to decide the best route to locate the highway. After the study, they will start to buy the right of way needed to build. It may be ¼ mile wide. The worst part of this is when they just buy part of your land and you end up with an interstate high way running next to your house. I recommend when the time is right that you hire a lawyer and end up with the best deal you can.
 

Latest posts

Top