• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I had to chuckle to myself

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
What was it about a month ago somebody from NYC was on here asking about ranching for a screen play they wanted to write. They were wondering if ranching was a 9 to 5 job. :roll:

Don't really know where the day went with hfr checking feeding, cow checking and more hfr checking. 4 in the hf pasture over noon hour. :D But my daughter has to go back to work tomorrow so we sorted replacement hfrs from the grassers and then she did a quick check of the hfrs and brought one in with a leg back. WE got that taken care of and started to process the 80 replacement hfrs getting them ready for grass and breeding with a 8 way shot and breeding shot their Canadian RFID tags and a squirt of ivomec. I looked at my watch when we started 6.06pm. Well we came in for supper at 8 then fed hay and checked hfrs and we get to do it all again tomorrow. :D

Deb started as usual at 6 AM, fed bottle lambs, checked cows and came in for breakfast. I get up at 7 and we are out for chores at 8. Feed, tag, doctor, moved yearling heifers to another pasture closer to the corrals as we plan to vaccinate them in the next few days and need the place they were at to put pairs in and a few chores at the barn. Dinner sometime between noon and 2 PM, short nap depending on whether busy or not. Check heifers and feed lambs again.

Had a little spare time today so went to Morrison Meadow and got a load of hay this afternoon. Got home with that and went to Anahim Lake to pick up a vet order off the freight truck. Had supper in TOWN and got home at 9 this evening. 2 new calves and a new lamb when we got home.

Took an electrolyte to a calf that refuses to die, fed lambs again and put new lamb pair in the barn.

It's now 11:20, Debbie went to bed shortly after we got home and I'm on my way.
Just an average day on the Ponderosa. :lol:

Sue and I start 6AM feed bumm lambs go check ewes and do chores in the barn. She gets ready and goes to work I feed cows , check for lambs, then try and drag some meadow or alfalfa. Stopping to check for lambs. Try to get some thing ready for dinner. Sue gets home we go shear the days ewes that have lambed load lambs and ewes to be moved out in a trailor haul them to the other place. Get in around 8-8:30 PM eat dinner.....

On Tuesday I had a great day as my 4 year old daughter spend the day with me out on the farm. Started with cows to check at 6 a.m. ( They are on their own over night now as heifers are done and only 14 left to go ). Then I fed grain to the steers and did the rest of the chores. Hooked up to the mill so I could grind feed. Headed into town to get fuel ( and maybe a coffee ) and then back out to tag calves. Then sorted out first and second calvers that had calved into one pasture and mature cows into another. Treated a couple cows that hadn't cleaned and then kicked them out. Got in a nice lunch with the wife, and then took the daughter to the farm. Ground feed all afternoon with her, and then checked cows again before leaving. Promised her we would go out for supper because her brother got to go buy new shoes with his mother. Finished supper at around 8:00 p.m., past her bed time.

Could not of asked for a better day. Wouldn't want it any other way.

Not me.... I run hereford cows , got up at noon went to town got the mail drove by the cows, they were trying to roll up the left over hay for next winter. Came home watched tv till supper then went to bed. :lol2:

GM88 said:
Not me.... I run hereford cows , got up at noon went to town got the mail drove by the cows, they were trying to roll up the left over hay for next winter. Came home watched tv till supper then went to bed. :lol2:

Somebody just had to open that can of worms. :wink: :wink:

GM88 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kidding aside , my days are 5-9 not 9-5. Trying to check cows, fence, get my new to me 1960's seeding equipment working and chase my kids around a little. Wouldnt trade it for ANY 9-5 job going. Nothing more satisfying to me than see the sun rise and set , hear the first geese come back, hear a meadow lark in the grass singing, hear the frogs in the spring, see a little calf trying to get up and the joy my kids get out of it all too. Nothing can compare to be able to do what you love with your kids a good horse and a dog. (left the good dog out of it that is up for debate some days)

GM88 said:
Kidding aside , my days are 5-9 not 9-5. Trying to check cows, fence, get my new to me 1960's seeding equipment working and chase my kids around a little. Wouldnt trade it for ANY 9-5 job going. Nothing more satisfying to me than see the sun rise and set , hear the first geese come back, hear a meadow lark in the grass singing, hear the frogs in the spring, see a little calf trying to get up and the joy my kids get out of it all too. Nothing can compare to be able to do what you love with your kids a good horse and a dog. (left the good dog out of it that is up for debate some days)

Your location is EC Alberta (that's mine too). Just don't forget that in about a month, seeing the sunrise and set is a VEERRRRRRYYYYY long day. :lol:

BTW - Our cows all left. I showed them the previous postings and they decided they would all go get jobs and send me their paychecks...

I work 4 days a week at my day job and have three "days off" every weekend. My Day job days go like this..... Get up at 5 and head for work by 6 after checking stock. Mrs. H catches the morning chores. :D I leave my job at 5:30 and get home after 6. I feed and water and chore as needed. Get in the house after 8 and usually 9.

On my days off i chore morning and evening, change water on the hay, check water for the cows on the mountain, haul salt, move cows, fix water lines, haul hay and fix fence when i get a minute. Start about 5 and end when i am done which is about 9:30. I agree with GM88 about the days away from my day job. They might be longer and harder but they sure are worth it and seem to recharge me. :D

GM88 said:

Thanks for the laugh GM88. The vision of that is priceless. :lol: :lol:

I got up at 7:45, started the PU @8:00 sharp, came in and coffied for 30 minutes, went and fed. Stopped for coffee at 10:30, stretched that to 10:50. Went to lunch at 11:30 to 1:00, after the afternoon break, I did very little till 4:30, then watched the clock till 5, and quit for the day. Tomorrow I will get a little overtime as we are having the sale, then I can move to town and try to find someone else to pay me to do it again. :wink:

Shortgrass said:
I got up at 7:45, started the PU @8:00 sharp, came in and coffied for 30 minutes, went and fed. Stopped for coffee at 10:30, stretched that to 10:50. Went to lunch at 11:30 to 1:00, after the afternoon break, I did very little till 4:30, then watched the clock till 5, and quit for the day. Tomorrow I will get a little overtime as we are having the sale, then I can move to town and try to find someone else to pay me to do it again. :wink:

Made me tired just to read about your labors!

Who's cracking the whip over your back?

:wink:

I am wanting a job that I work from 11 am till 1 pm and get an hour off for lunch.....

With everything else we have to do I also like to send the yearling heifers out to check fences they can find the holes and loose wires that may have been missed. :D :D

Latest posts