• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I hate Rototillers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
rancher said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Glad your son has the knack with those small engines, I sure don't. They seem to wait until you need them or wait until dark on a auger engine not to start.
your son should get a slogan like "I fix more engines then Carter has pills"

Or maybe nobody knows about Carters little liver pills anymore. Geez I'm getting old. :cowboy:

Funny how when the budget gets tight for schools that they want to cut these classes that kids can actually use in the real world.

BMR- have you ever seen Carter's pills, I have never seen them. What did they really do? Geez I'm younger than I thought.

Katrina, I have to pour gas in the air intake to get it to start and it runs on full choke.

Rancher, Not sure if i have seen Cartes pills just always heard about them from Mom I think.

BMR, probably old gas and a carb. jet is clogged.

Most small engine's are used seldom and stored wrong, By not using it the gas dries up, turns to varnish, ect,

before shoving it in the corner of the garage, or machine shed, add the correct amount of gas stable, to the tank, run for a bit, pull plugs and fog engine with engine fogging oil, then run for a minute, spraying fogging oil in intake until engine dies, ( some won't die , stop when it turns to a nice white cload coming out exhaust.)

upon start up, it will smoke white, when this clears, either change or clean plugs before putting under load,

I've seen old timers with real old engines start right up, and it works well with my small engines,

on two strokes a little two stroke oil in cylinder head will aid in spring start up, on my last tank I use premium, and on my first spring tank, (not sure if it really helps but the higher octane should give better ignition. and on some battery started pieces a weak battery effects ignition,,ect. so trickle charge all batteries laid up over winter, ( or summer for snow blowers)

Fogging oil is available at most marine suppliers.

Steve, never heard of fogging oil. Would it be helpful here in the Dakota Desert? Is that what Sea Foam is?

When engine fogging is required – to store engines for long periods of time without running them.

Your service technician can offer a SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP treatment to thoroughly saturate an engine internally to lubricate it and protect it from gum, varnish and moisture problems. He can perform this service or show you how to do it yourself with SEA FOAM DEEP CREEP.

Once the engine has warmed up to its normal operating temperature, it's time to fog the cylinders. This process coats cylinder walls, piston rings and other internal engine components with a very sticky, extremely corrosion-resistant oil. Fogging oil is readily available at marinas.

With the engine running at about 2,000 rpm, introduce fogging oil into the air intake. On outboards with a separate carburetor for each cylinder, be sure to spray the fogging oil into each one. Note that some outboard motors have a special fitting that connects the brand of fogging oil directly to the engine intake. If you're not sure whether your engine has one, consult your owner's manual. On stern drives and inboards be sure to squirt some oil into both primary throats.

You should keep fogging until the engine dies. There's a second way to fog the engine, however. Instead of drowning it in fogging oil, shut off the fuel flow, and, just as the carburetor float bowl is about to run dry, the air/fuel mixture will run lean, causing rpm to climb. A split second later the engine will die. At the moment that the engine begins to race, vigorously squirt in fogging oil.

While sea foam appears to work fine I prefer Stabil fogging oil, I even have used Pennziol, Marine fogging oil, as it works well also, the key seems to be in adding a good coating, and the coating staying on, and all three would appear to fit the bill, if you can Ski doo, has a real good spray that does not appear to break down rubber, I use it to coat the externals and for fogging during brief lay ups. ( called Bomb lube by most ski techs )

Thanks for the info Steve. Have been sort of too busy to get the board read lately. When we were in Pierre the other day we bought a Swisher brand mower; 60 inch deck, 13 horse B&S, 3 blades, to pull behind a 4-wheeler. After we use if a few times I'll post whether we like it or not. The good thing is we bought it still in the crate for less than $1200, considerably less than a riding mower.

Latest posts