• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I need a new stock trailer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ahhhh uggg. I've been on the phone and email all day getting quotes on trailers. I've decided to go with the fifth wheel. The trailer I will get is a combo, its a regular stock trailer except it has a five foot tack room up front.

I have to get the tack room for when I go roping or training at other folks places. Its just nice to be able to have all my stuff together and locked up. The bumper pull horse trailer I have now (featherlite) is a great trailer for me but I can't haul cattle with it, this combo will be used for horses and cattle.

Questions;

1) I priced a "Hart" combo at 24 feet, it was $25,000!!!! The "Titan" configured the same way in steel is only $12,000. Are Harts that good or is the cost between metal and aluminum just that much? Holy crap, that's a lot of $$$!

2) What do you guys think about hauling horses in a stock trailer (as apposed to a trailer designed to haul horses-- divider and what not)? I've done it tons when hauling up to the hills to check the cows or short trips to town but not on long trips to events in other states. This trailer will be used for the horses 80 percent of the time, am I foolish to get a stock? I don't really want to keep the trailer I have now too.

3) Is there some type of spray in bed liner type product I can have sprayed in the inside roof and inside sides to quiet up the trailer? I would like to do this while the trailer is still new and not messed up with manure and wood chips. I don't know if there is such a product but if there is it would go a long ways to making the trailer more quiet and provide a little insulation when its very hot or very cold.

Thank you all, except those who encouraged me to go with a fifth wheel, this is going to be a lot more costly than I thought. :)

2) What do you guys think about hauling horses in a stock trailer (as apposed to a trailer designed to haul horses-- divider and what not)? I've done it tons when hauling up to the hills to check the cows or short trips to town but not on long trips to events in other states. This trailer will be used for the horses 80 percent of the time, am I foolish to get a stock? I don't really want to keep the trailer I have now too.

I haven't used anything to haul horses around except for a stock trailer since I retired the old two horse back in the 70's...

I like the stock trailer because they have a little more room to move around- and can choose to stand like they want to...My horses always wanted to ride backwards- so even when I had 4 horses in a 16 foot stock- I'd load them that way...

Only thing is with a stock trailer is you may have to stick some tape or something over some of the vents/openings if your hauling a long ways in cold or nasty weather....
I like the rubber matting as it seems to be nicer on the horses feet- than standing on hard wood for long trips....

Latest posts