• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I need advice on a cut cow hoof

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Well my bone headedness caught up with me today. I went to the rented pasture to catch the cows and bring them home and calve them out and bred them. I used some old steel barrels cut in half to feed them and catch them in the catch pen. They got to pushing and shoving while we backed the trailer in place and a good EXT daughter cut her back left hoof on the dang barrel. The barrels are now in the swamp so they can finish rusting away and out of reach of another hoof but in the meantime I need advice on this cows hoof.
Let me describe the cut and see what y'all think. She some how had her foot turned upside down when she stepped on the edge of the barrel so the cut starts right where the hoof meats the hide and runs down the half about an inch and in about an inch wide. It does not appear to be very deep but this looks like a bad place.
I plan to watch her and if infection sets in a day or two, Christmas, I will give her some LA 200 and if she still ain't better when Christmas is over I will take her over to Auburn and let the pros work on her.
What do y'all think my chances are with her? She is bred to Boyd's New Day and should calve the first or second week in January.

I might go ahead and give her a round of antibiotics, wash it clean and put a squirt of Kopertox on it.

Then keep it dry for a few days.

I just checked with our Vigortone vet for you and he said the same as Mike. Coppertox. So I learned something today...never heard of using Coppertox in this situation.

Doc says Coppertox seals it and helps it from becoming infected. And he says he uses no antibiotic with it as Coppertox is a disinfectant. Spray the Coppertox on every other day (every day is better, but every other day will work) for about two weeks. Then she should be ready to be turned out again.

He said to keep her up where she doesn't have to travel for feed or water and bed her good so she has kind of a cushion.

Good luck!!

Alabama said:
Kopertox? Where do I get that? Fuller supply?

Yep. It's way to kill and seal out bacteria. Wash it clean first and try to let it dry before applying. It sticks better when it's dry.

The feed store was out and said he had some creosote. That ain't it either. The co-op ain't never heard of it.

Well, this isn't the ideal solution, but call Valley Vet Supply. They have it and they are good about getting things right out. Their number is 800-468-0059. See how fast they can get it to you.

Kopertox; 16 oz. $13.25

Hope this helps. Do you have a mail-order vet supply that you use?
Perhaps they have it. And your coop never heard of it?
Unbelievable. Well, depends on how young the person was that you
talked to. In the meantime, I will look into Healtox and get back to you. Kopertox is listed under hoof care for horses most places.

This is not the most gentle cow. As I said, she is an EXT daughter but her momma is nothing more than a pet. The most gentle cow I have. Well to answer your question I can catch and work this cow a time or two but if it hurts, she will get wise quick.

I had a cow do about the same thing this fall but it cut both dewclaws off it was a couple of week's before we trailed them she's part Throubred so I chose not to Dr. Her at all she hobbled right down the road.Those barrel's are good for something (SLOWING down EXT'S Daughter's)

Alabama, i know that the label on Koppertox says it is a disenfectant, however you are so close to calving that I would go ahead and give a huge dose of antibiotic. I would also give her 1cc of Tetguard made by Boehringer Ingelheim.

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sites/tetguard/reference.html

A Tetanus shot? Why not.
Except the part about only sold to a vet. I might be able to work that out too.
I wonder how long after the cut will a tetanus shot do any good?

I know when I band bull calves in the fall, I give a tetnus shot. They say it is a horse race as to what will happen first, the infection or the buildup of immunity from the tetnus shot.
If it looks like a serious infection you might try some Nuflor.

I agree with Ross, use Nuflor or Baytril. As far as the tetnus shot, it may not work but it's cheap and it would help me to sleep better at night.

Yup, like Mike says, Kopper-tox is the ticket!!! There is also a product called Copper-care ,from a different manufacturer, that is the same thing.
The only thing I would add , is to be sure and squirt the Koppertox up the leg(6 or 8 inches above the hoof) and use lots. An old guy, that trimmed cattle and horse feet for many years told me that one, and it has worked well...(for me at least).

Alabama said:
A Tetanus shot? Why not.
Except the part about only sold to a vet.
I get tetnus thru my ranch supply and not a vet but it comes with C&D. it is called BarVac*CD/T Clostridium Perfringens Type C&D- Tetnus Toxiod made by Boehringer Ingelhiem. The only draw back ti this is that you have to buy a 10 doses bottle is the smallest bottle they make it in. But maybe the c&d mite be a bonus for when he/she goes back on full feed mite note get overeating and overeating may not even be a factor in the whole senerial. But C&D won't hurt anything.

Latest posts