• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I think they set a new record yesterday at the sale barn!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
A customer of ours sold his straight Red Angus steers and heifers yesterday. Steers sold real good. But the money making deal was his heifers. He had a load that weighed 555 lbs, and they brought $1.55!!! Someones going to have some very nice cows out of this package.

I wonder if that's going to hold true about heifers up here. Our calves go next week, and they're mainly heifers. We didn't get too many steers this year, wonder why? Anyways, it'd be nice to sell all our heifers at that price or close to it.

TTB

Thats is the same thing I thought, "Hobby Farmer" I wish he could have been there for that sale.

Shelly,

I hope you guys can get that type of price too, but I think this extreme price won't be seen much anywhere. Just the right 2 guys bidding on them.

Shelly said:
I wonder if that's going to hold true about heifers up here. Our calves go next week, and they're mainly heifers. We didn't get too many steers this year, wonder why? Anyways, it'd be nice to sell all our heifers at that price or close to it.

Shelly and the other Canadians:

I sure hope that your markets are as good as ours have been. With all you've been through you all deserve it.

We sold steers yesterday and had 62 head weight 624 and bring $1.34---I told Mr. TTB that I can remember the day when we got excited about getting $600 for a calf, much less $800. We'll sell our heifers, light steers, and bulls calves that found new careers as steers in January, I hope they do as well.

The guy whose heifers brought $1.55 is also a customer and neighbor of ours, and he deserves every bit of it--he's an excellent cattleman and range manager who has a great set of cows.

I hope the Soapweed outfit had a great day at their sale in Valentine--

TTB

TTB,

I guess yesterday was a heifer calf market. JR's sold at a premium too. His steers brought $134.50 and his heifers brought I think $1.35. He was tickled pink. We bought his steers at a good price, but when you can get any type of a premium on your heifers, that is when you are doing good.

I bet this is the most $ Ralph has ever sold. I bet you were all really happy too.

brought up our local action from last Tues 500lbs brought 1.25-1.45 thats canadian...you guys are makin a killing on your cattle...mine sell next Tues hopefully things go good

Shelly said:

Shelly, strange how that goes. 3 years ago, we had 80% bull calves. Now, for the past 2 calvings, we have had 2/3 heifers.

Yes the cattle market is wonderful,but don't we need those kind of prices with the cost increase of everything that pertains to our ranch operations-fuel, cost of repairs, cost of machinery,cost of land ect. I really do not think anyone is making a killing out there on the calf price-just catching up a little from the past.

This puts things into perspective a little bit. When I was a kid, a "pound of calf" would buy a gallon of gas. It seemed like for several years running, back in the late 'fifties, steer calves were bringing 33 cents per pound and heifer calves were 31 cents per pound. Gas then was 33 cents per gallon. Even with the present good calf prices, it now takes at least "two pounds of calf" to buy a gallon of gas. And of course, it's good that we don't use nearly as much fuel per person now as we did back then. Ha ha, that last sentence is a tongue-in-cheek joke, just so I don't confuse anyone. :wink:

We sold our steer calves yesterday. They averaged 587 lbs at $1.27 for an average of $744.48. We only sold one heifer she weighed 614 lbs at $1.17 for $718. Pretty good prices here. Here is a link to the Mankota Stockmen's Weigh Co. website

http://www.mankotastockmens.com/Market_reports/market_report.html

Randi

The owner of the local auction mart came out this morning and looked at our calves. He's guaranteeing us the average price on the different weight ranges from the sale he had on Thursday. I hope he's as good as his word, because then we'll do not bad. He said most of our calves looked to be in the 6-700 lb. range, with a few less than that and some heavier than that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck Shelly.

Calves in this area are lighter than the last few years by a ways. We weaned and sold some hfr. calves today that were sure lighter than normal. WDA is still good for when we calve, but even a rigid rotational grazing program didn't get them up to where we would like them to weigh.

Hot temps, dry grass, and our last snowstorm didn't help much, but so goes life in ranching.

Helped our neighbors ship Thursday, and their calves weighed around 565 @ 140+/lb. Nice calves.

Thanks, real jake. I'm kind of inclined to agree with you about the calves seeming lighter this year. I went back and looked at our weaning weights last year, and most were in the 7-800 lb. range. I think our grass grew too fast here this year and there just wasn't the right stuff in it for growing heavier calves. Cows aren't as sleek and fat as they usually are, either.

There's no question, these are good cattle prices! Just one question....the price quotes are in both American and Canadian dollars, aren't they? So, according to today's exchange rate a $1.27 Canadian price would $1.51 American...is that right?

1 Canadian dollar = .843597 American if I am interpreting it correctly and the other way around is 1.1854.

Latest posts