• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ICE Got Another One!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Just got in from shooting my neighbors main herd bull for him. Big stout Stockman 2164 son out of a Right Time daughter-he must of been fighting on the ice and broke his back leg at the hock. The bull had perfect feet as I got to check them out real close today. At least he got 3 or 4 calf crops out of him. I really want some winter back. I'll take -20 in the sunshine opver this cloudy damp crap any day.

This was at my neighbors place-everybody is having troubles up here with the way the weather is. My cows are licking snow since I lost that horse-there;s not much but they are getting by.

Northern Rancher - "I'll take -20 in the sunshine over this cloudy damp crap any day."

Amen to that!!! We've had a grand total of about 6 hrs. of sunshine since Dec. 20th.
Sorry to hear about your neighbor's bull. It's usually the good ones,isn't it.
One of my Charolais bulls slipped on some ice(I think) and injured a front shoulder.I'm hoping he will be allright,though...... He's pretty sore. :( :(

Why not just put in watering bowls?The amount of animals that i have heard about dying,because of the ice.The watering bowls would pay for themselves,in a year.

We've got watrering bowls we also have alot of cattle-we've run cows out in the winter for years-we don't normally run into this kind of winter-by the way we lost a cow slipped on the ice by the wateringbowl earliar on this winter.

I hope your getting all the OTM cattle that your losing BSE tested. No reason not to collect the $75 bucks. Your local vet can collect and submitit to CFIA.

Sask, hit 7,496 head tested and Canada beat the 30,000 number by testing 57,766,shows the world were serious about our survallence.

#words I got thinking-that bull broke his leg in a pen with a watering bowl in it-yeah the vet is collecting them for us. He searched for a brain in those EXT's but had no luck lol.

NR,

Wouldnt it save you money to have more fountains? We have a lot of cattle too but they all have to come back to the yards to drink. I hate watering off of dugouts during winter. :?

Have you guys read what I typed that bull was in a pen with a waterer as was one of the cows we lost two-our cows run out where it's not viable financially to pipeline water-remember waterlines have to be 10-12 feet deep in our country. Normally we only have to water off dugouts till we get snow-I've only seen two brown X-mas's in my life and they were the only two our country has ever had.Snowed tonight so we should be A-Ok now. Just a freak year all around.

Nr- Have you seen the normal temps in this part of the country? We have to bury waterline in around the 10ft mark. But we still do it because I hate to water off of dugouts. Too many horror stories of cows falling in. Now that you have snow you should be on the high road.

Is there enough wind for windmills in your country? Ninety percent of our cattle watering, winter or summer, is from windmills. In our winter pastures, we just have eleven-foot steel tanks. That is the biggest size available that has a bottom. We get enough wind that it is very seldom we have to break ice. Under cold conditions, the eleven-foot tanks will water more cattle than a thirty-foot bottomless-type tank. The big tanks become solid ice, except for a small area near the pipe coming from the windmill. The smaller tanks stay open all across.

When the electricity fails to work, at least the cattle have water from the windmills (and so do we!).

Soapweed we can get -40 for weeks straight up here it's hard to keep heated watering systems going-there are the odd old windmill around but people stopped using them for a reason I suppose-I'm probably 1200 miles north of you so not quite the same. Cows in this country won't walk very far to water if there's snow to lick-I guess we just had to take our lumps in this weird year-like I said before that bull at my neighbors was in a little field with a watering bowl so it didn't help him any.

:( Sorry to inform you Northern Rancher you won't be getting any -30 weather for another 40 days. ( thats when my calving season starts) :lol: :lol:

Another thing makin it difficult in your area I suppose NR, is the AMOUNT of water holes and dugouts. To try fencing off every waterhole would probably cost your first-born, at least.

'Course, you could try and find a frozen turd that looks like J.C. and sell it on e-bay in a cry-o-pac bag.lol Even more rare though, would be a sample of grey matter from one of those EXT's.lol

P1012565.jpg

Found out today my pain with dugouts wasn't over-the ice went out and Ty found this when he was quading with his buddy they must of went in during the night-I'd found a cow in there first thing in the morning back in Jan. but they must of went in before her. Going to have to put a wetwell in if we keep getting these snowless winters-today was one day ranching was about all the fun I can stand.

Well the market must be going to stay up-you can't kill them with an axe when it's down-worst winter ever here-give me snow and cold anytime.

Latest posts