• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

im a sandhiller now

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rowel

Reaction score
well i now live in the nebraska sandhills , im working for dickau angus in bassett nebraska , been busy the last 2 weeks moving cattle to different pastures and heat deteting and getting cows AIed.

I bet they tell you you're not Sandhiller until you get bucked off into a Soapweed. :D

I'll also bet your enjoying your new surroundings.

Congratulations. :D :D

rowel said:
im enjoying everything , except the mosquitos

I agree with that. The mosquitoes are thick this year, with all the rain. We had another half inch of rain this afternoon, which brings the total up to 14 inches since the 10th of May.

Soapweed said:
rowel said:

I agree with that. The mosquitoes are thick this year, with all the rain. We had another half inch of rain this afternoon, which brings the total up to 14 inches since the 10th of May.
The upside is that 14"should put green over a lot of those sandhills!

We ended up June with 13" but so far only 0.1" for July and none in the forcast - - - I guess we are going to get some dust now!

burnt said:
Soapweed said:
rowel said:

The upside is that 14"should put green over a lot of those sandhills!

The hills have never looked prettier than they do this summer. I am sure not complaining about the rain. We have suffered under dry dusty conditions many more times through the years than we ever did with too much rain. Haying all across the area is at a standstill, but when the ground dries up a bit there should be plenty to cut. It is inspiring seeing the hills this green.

if any of you ever come through bassett on highway 20 get hold of me id like to meet some of you im about 3 miles off of the highway

Soapweed said:
rowel said:

We also have had 14 inches since May 1,.................2009 that is. If it sounds like I'm coveting my neighbor's rain, I am. Real happy :D for ya, and I'm sure our turn is coming. Actually, I am blessed. We can go just a few miles any in 3 directions and things are worse. Was in Northeastern Colorado yesterday, and that country is lush also.

rowel said:
if any of you ever come through bassett on highway 20 get hold of me id like to meet some of you im about 3 miles off of the highway
Welcome Rowel I am about 20 miles north and 20 miles west of you and know both Ed and Matt. And you are right the mosquitoes are horrible this year. But it will pass and won't be long and the snow will chase them away. :D :lol:

Shortgrass said:
Soapweed said:
rowel said:

We also have had 14 inches since May 1,.................2009 that is. If it sounds like I'm coveting my neighbor's rain, I am. Real happy :D for ya, and I'm sure our turn is coming. Actually, I am blessed. We can go just a few miles any in 3 directions and things are worse. Was in Northeastern Colorado yesterday, and that country is lush also.
Yeah I am coveting as well.....I am in one of the 3 directions, south......I am so glad yall are getting rain.
If any of yall have hay for sale you might want to try advertising down here...we have had so many stop even trying to grow hay and the few who do and struggling. I know I am not a big buyer but there are alot who would and need they hay.

After a very wet May and June I thought the rain had stopped but we got 1.8" last night - - - it was very spotty as my son 3 miles south got 0.3" and the dozer job I had on the sechudle for today was about 5 miles south of that and only got 0.1" so I was able to complete it just fine.

I was sure tickled to see the rain come - - - I feel so sorry for you guys not getting any. I remember 1983 I raised 120 bu corn in 1982 and then 1983 I raised 20 bu corn - - - - that drought just about put me under and it did put many others under! Then we had a less severe drought in 1986.

With the insurance that is available I'm sure it helps but there is still the matter of pride in work accomplished that will not come from an insuance check!

Can you get crop insurance on pasture and hay ground?

Just remember rowel, You CAN take the sandhiller out of the sandhills. But ya CAN'T take the sandhills out of a sandhiller... You are one lucky dog.... Enjoy the good life...

black out ... matt was trying to figure out who you are and all he could think of was a guy named corky

thanks katrina , so far ive been up there 2 weeks and i have enjoyed everything up there, funny thing is i allways wanted to visit the sandhills and see them , never thought id be living in them, big wide open beautiful country up there and the stars seem to shine more

Latest posts