• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I'm toying with an idea

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mp.freelance

Reaction score
I was sitting here in front of my computer thinking about article ideas, when it struck me that I could be staring at one. Ranchers.net is a pretty thriving internet community, with ranchers and others from around the U.S. communicating with each other. How open would you guys be to having something written about this website? Like I said, I'm just toying with the idea, and haven't even decided whether to bring the idea to my editor at the Capital Press. If I go ahead with it, I'd need to call a few of you at home (with your permission, of course), and I'd need to quote you with your real name and location. I'd also need to talk to the administrators to find out more about the history of the website, etc. What do you think?

I vote NO. We have a nice thing going here, and I don't want a bunch of yahoos coming here just for the sake of being nosy. It takes me some time to feel comfortable to post on a site like this. I would feel kinda exploited. I might be the only one that feels this way.

It is an agricultural paper, though, so chances are "yahoos" wouldn't be reading it in the first place. I'm not trying to convince anybody, just thought you should know.

Well, I cannot stop you - nor can anyone else - but my initial thoughts are "not today" thanks.

So try to persuade us - I like to think I have an open mind - but like I said - do not think it will happen.

Benefits? To us? Unknown. To you? Perhaps obvious - perhaps not.

Cons? Not sure - just a gut feeling.

Over to you,

B.C.

But this is a public site - any sicko can come on here regardless. I'm just playing devil's advocate here, not trying to twist your arm. If the majority of the response I get is negative, I'll definitely scrap the idea. (After all, I'd need someone to cooperate with, or there won't be anyting to write about). It's just unusual, from what I can tell, to have such a large, active forum about agriculture. This is pretty much the only good one I've come across. Do you know of any others?

The only benefit to me is that I'd have something interesting to write about. The benefit to you is debatable, but I think it would be a service to farmers and ranchers in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and California. There's a lot of good communication on this site, and it's interesting to see growers from so many different regions interacting. There's a low amount of representation from the Northwest though - only PPRM and Nicky, that I know about - so it could inspire some NW ranchers to check out the site. If you'd like, check out the website www.capitalpress.com because it's not the kind of "newspaper" that most people in agriculture are wary of. I think it could change your mind.

A few years ago, there was an article about Ranchers.Net and the Bull Session that came out in a national publication (I can't remember which one). For quite some time afterwards, the pages of our beloved "bull session" were flooded with idiotic contributions from vegetarians and PETA-type people. The webmaster at the time, Jody Brown, finally had to devote a whole new forum for the vegetarians just so the "bull sessionaires" could maintain business as usual.

If you write for an agricultural publication, an article about Ranchers.Net might not be all bad. If your story would be for a broader audience, temporary havoc could result and it might take several weeks to once again "eliminate the riff-raff". Not that ranchers can't tell their side of a story in a positive light, but it just gets old having to do it.

Ranchers.Net is like any quiet peaceful country community. We participate in this forum because it is quiet and peaceful (for the most part :wink: ). Like all rural folk, we enjoy visitors and are glad to be hospitable. However, too many tourists and outsiders spoil the solitude.

I heard about that, Soapweed, so I can see why you'd be skeptical. I wouldn't want to do anything to disrupt what's going on here, but as you've seen the website has captured my interest over the past several months and I feel like I've learned a lot from it.

Sometimes we have visitors come out to the ranch and want to help out with the chores. Usually if mistakes are made we can work around them. Sometimes mistake will turn into full fledge wrecks and then alot of things are lost that have been worked hard for and have took along time to obtain.

The worst part is sometimes people who mean well don't always go away and then the ranch is not the atmosphere that we have tryed hard to make it in the first place.

If this is a good thing, it's only because of the folks who have made it this way. Sometimes a good thing shouldn't be made too public. Most folks can find us if they want to but too many road signs make the ranch road dusty.Visitors are fun at the ranch and most folks don't stay too long. But when they do it really difficult to get things like they once were.

The worst part is sometimes people who mean well don't always go away and then the ranch is not the atmosphere that we have tryed hard to make it in the first place.

Is this a hint, ST?

mp.freelance said:
I was sitting here in front of my computer thinking about article ideas, when it struck me that I could be staring at one. Ranchers.net is a pretty thriving internet community, with ranchers and others from around the U.S. communicating with each other. How open would you guys be to having something written about this website? Like I said, I'm just toying with the idea, and haven't even decided whether to bring the idea to my editor at the Capital Press. If I go ahead with it, I'd need to call a few of you at home (with your permission, of course), and I'd need to quote you with your real name and location. I'd also need to talk to the administrators to find out more about the history of the website, etc. What do you think?

no no no no no no NO.................DONT GO AWAY MAD JUST GO AWAY....

I'm quite postive Saddletramp didn't mean it a hint for you. Anyway I sure never thought it was. And we don't mean to hurt your feelings, It's just we know we have something very special and will try to keep it that way. And you are apart of it, so relax and enjoy..

mp.freelance,

Since you are a part of the media, you can do whatever you want. You are also a member of Ranchers.net, many times I've given you claps for some of your replies (at home, of course, you couldn't hear me clapping but I did!), and I respect your opinions. I also appreciate your respect for Ranchers.net by asking us (posters) our opinion on your idea. I also will vote NO. We are a big family, our arms are always open to newcomers, when a new person starts behaving (writing) badly, we do what all families do, we discipline by our opinions. Most have gone away either by Macon or because our "nicey nicey" forums (read that in Bull Sessions) do an outstanding job of making them feel pretty small so they don't want to post anymore. We are an awesome family, we help each other when we can, we encompass the world with our sharing. I surely wouldn't want to be bombarded with a host of anti-rancher, animal rights activists. Let your conscience be your guide. You know exactly what your conscience is saying and it is no!

Just my thoughts....Instead of doin an article on "the site itself" why not take some of our topics maybe.....and do the research on that, on your own. I"m sure there are alot of things that come up that could be included in an article about ranchers, or rural life, etc. that could be used without bringing up this website.

Latest posts