• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Importing generic ivermectin

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bet it could be hard to get your vet to sign a certification if they are trying to sell high priced Ivomec and Dectomax.

manitoba rancher, what do you mean? I dont understand your post.

Lily'because you have to get a vet or brand inspector to verifiy the size of your personal herd before you can buy from the sellers in States. What M.R is saying is if your vet is selling the high priced Canadian med ... the vet may not want to verifie your herd.... Our vet does not sell it we buy from U.F.A so he would prob be More then happy to do this for us.

I wonder what happens when animals are turned away from the border (any border) in the future, for using an un-licensed product?

The mark-up (margin) for vets is not that great on these products, but they are willing to stand behind licensed products!

Has anybody researched efficacy on generics?

ohhhhhhhhh ok, I didn't realize you had to have a certificate verifying the size of your herd...that's where I was lost. I had read that you had to verify the size , but dummy me just assumed ya walk in and tell em how many head.

I think I"m on the same page as ya'll now lol :D

As for how much you can bring across, when I went on an ivomec run the guy at the peace gardens crossing in manitoba said any thing less than a pallet 48x5liter jugs no questions asked just pay the gst and go.

Sounds like a great saving on the product, but I heard yesterday that some of the packing plants in Canada are requiring their fed cattle suppliers to sign a form stating "these cattle were never treated with an unapproved product." (Similar to the form we sign stating our cattle were never fed any cattle protein while in our care)
Shouldn't affect cow/calf producers who sell their calves in the fall, but if you retain ownership, it might be something to consider!

So, if you dont come across the border and buy ivomec or a generic in the states, what do they have available to you to use? And how much does it cost? Is it strictly Ivomec Brand made by Merial? since they were the one's to patent it?

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
So, if you dont come across the border and buy ivomec or a generic in the states, what do they have available to you to use? And how much does it cost? Is it strictly Ivomec Brand made by Merial? since they were the one's to patent it?

Ivomec dropped their price from $525 to $435 this year and Dextomac is down to $325. The generic is prived from $63 to $120 . Quite a difference.

is that pour on or injectable?

Valley Vet Supply
this is strictly Ivomec Brand prices made by Merial....no generic prices.
Ivomec - 174.95 for 500 ml Injectable (treat 50 head @ 10cc)

Ivomec plus - 189.95 for 500 ml Injectable (treat 50 head @ 10cc)

Ivomec Eprinex Pour-On - 324.95 for 5 Liters (1 cc per 22 lb of body weight)
My question is, if you have a 1000 lb cow for example, are you gonna hafta put 45.5 cc on her? We've never used the pour on, just isn't as handy for us as injectable. I looked at the manufacturers label instructions and all it says is 1 cc for every 22 lbs...is there a limit?
I"m just curious , tryin to learn something here. I really feel for you guys not bein able to get what you need in a reasonable fashion. From all you've said it sounds like Canada is tryin to work themselves and all you guys right out of the cattle business by not letting you do your job as efficiently and economically as possible.

Lilly,we keep both the injectable and the pour on around here,just depends on what we are doing as to what we will use but,we also fight flys here year round and the pour on will give your cattle some fly relief,add the fact you dont have to catch their head just crowd em and pour,altho I think it might cost a lil more?.................good luck

I havent found a sray that s works like I think it should,wind up sraying cows every week I finally went to cattle rubs ,that seems to work better for me,I dont recall the name of the stuff I got last ,but one ounce to a gallon of diesel, and flys are'nt a problem............good luck

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I was just reading on a supplier website that you could have it shipped to a third party who then forwards it on to you via mail. Wonder if they'd stop it and hold it thru the mail?

the big companies are looking for any excuse to shut down ivermectin imports so Im not too crazy about gettin into mailorder.

I just got 10 jugs by working with Farmers of North America.

It worked out to $120 / jug delivered to the ranch. What I like about this set up is that they go over the govt forms and make sure its allright and I never have to leave the ranch to get it all done.

But they've been told they can't talk public about getting cheap ivermectin so basically right now its word of mouth.

TK Ranch said:
Outrider

I'm out in Manitoba want to pass the info on to me so I can contact these people.

THANKS

1-877-362-3276

There is a membship fee but i've made it back many times. They also got wholesale pricing on a lot of things like oil and twine - a lot of stuff.

Outrider: We let our FNA membership expire several years ago-the only way to save with them was to buy large volumes from wherever for cash on delivery. We decided that it was of more value to have our local dealers around for full service. The membership fee @ $500 per year with a min. 3 year signup is another consideration. That being said we are bringing in our generic ivomec.....the savings are huge and when several people travel together expenses don't cost much outside of a day's road trip!

Cowsense: the membship is $400 / year and I have no problem with it. I joined in spring and they guaratnee the savings or you get the fee back. I easily got $5,000 savings so I won't be asking for my money back :D

Course I can use lots of other stuff besides the ivermectin. Maybe if all you can use is ivermectin your just as well to organize neighbours and put in time to do it yourself. I like that all I have to do is fax in some forms and I have the surance that all is taken care of.

cowsense said:
Outrider: We let our FNA membership expire several years ago-the only way to save with them was to buy large volumes from wherever for cash on delivery. We decided that it was of more value to have our local dealers around for full service. The membership fee @ $500 per year with a min. 3 year signup is another consideration. That being said we are bringing in our generic ivomec.....the savings are huge and when several people travel together expenses don't cost much outside of a day's road trip!

cowsense said:
We decided that it was of more value to have our local dealers around for full service.

I wanted to add to that remark. I heard the same idea on why I shouldn't use FNA to get my glyphosate. But think about it. On my glyphosate I saved just under $4,000. Does anyone really think my local dealer would have got that? He might have got $400, but the rest just goes off to Monsanto headquarters. I'm better off to write him a check for $500 so he's a hundred bucks a head of the game and I still have $3,500 I didn't before.

The same goes for ivermectin. Now we're hearing that improting it is hurting local dealers and local vets. My vet says he only gets a few dollars from each jug and if I can save a few hundred, maybe I can use him more on other good animal health stuff I don't do now for lack of funds. The local guys are not getting the big bucks out of these things and if we can save money I say we are fools not to do it.

I'm with outrider. I support FNA to the full, and I am kicking myself for not using them earlier. We saved thousands on generic roundup used for our pre seed burndowns, and we saved more with the generic pour-on. In total I have saved close to $15000.00 dollars this year IE. less than 1/2 price glyphosate as compared to monsantos product, and pour on at less than 1/4 the cost as before. These companies are making a fortune on the backs of farmers and it is about time we can realize some of the savings. In the eightys before monsantos patent came off on roundup (remember it cost $20.00+ per acre), farmers on the prairies organized and collected money to create their own generic roundup. Monsanto got scared and dropped their price to $10.00 per acre as the patent came off. THat farmers group lost steam and decided not to build the plant. I think that was a mistake, because FNA can still import generic glyphosate at $4.00 per acre. SHows how much more money was lost by farmers in the last 15 - 20 years.

And with regards to wanting to support local businesses by spending $500+ per 5L jug, vrs $120.00 through FNA, go ahead, each to his own. All I can say people like that must have money to burn. Don't worry, these local business will still get your money by selling some other overpriced stuff to you.

Latest posts