• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

individual ID calves

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The same ear tag and brand that I have used for the last 30 some years. Buy the way Kate glad to see you made it here.

I see the fire map shows fires in Canada now too. Going to be a long summer, might have to get a job with the BLM fire fighters , looks like they are the only ones that will be making money this year. Buying hay sucks when you have idle hay machinery sitting there depreciating.

On these tattoos, what does one put on them? I don't believe WY has developed individual ranch ID #'s, as of now. This might work for me, I just don't want to have to redo handtool latter. Of course my brand is registered with the state brand office. And does the numbered tags match the implants in some way?

Kate/wy said:
On these tattoos, what does one put on them? I don't believe WY has developed individual ranch ID #'s, as of now. This might work for me, I just don't want to have to redo handtool latter. Of course my brand is registered with the state brand office. And does the numbered tags match the implants in some way?

1-A-Right ear -herd ID (In my case it is MSC, my initials) which is registered with the state
B-Left ear - animal ID(the consecutive number of the calf as they hit the ground last fall, and the "letter" designation "P" for 2004

2-No implants for me - the RFID has a 13? digit number and is separate from the ear tattoo number. The visual tag has animal id, DOB, sire, and dam number.

This might not work for all.

Kate- You can call your state Dept. of Livestock or brand office and they can fill you in on the premise ID... Montana does not yet have premise ID and may not this year-they have a pilot program they are evaluating that will use brands and brand inspection along with individual animal ID....Wyo. may be one of the other states looking at the same.......

I talked with two of the cattle buyers (that buy the largest amount of cattle out of this area every year) last week- one owns several large feedlots.... Both of them said there will be no requirement for any type of tagging system yet this year--- Both said that they prefer the hot brands, which gives the cattle a "permanent" mark, and then allows each individual feeder that buys the calves to mark or ID with whatever system they use (tags, retinal scanning, implants, whatever)....But they both agreed that it will be important to keep good records on the calves-- birth time period (ex. Mar 20- May1) , area pastured, all shots, any feed additives, hormones, etc and to have this all available in affidavit form for the buyers in the fall- so the info can be delivered to the feeders...Stuff that most of the producers up here have already been doing for years....

Just go to www.scoringsystem.info/agri/ and you have all the data at your fingertips with a cell phone or wireless PDA.

is still busy registering all the state brands and won't have premise ID till July. I hope this state will consider using just our hot iron brands and a tattoo in one ear, as I can't keep tags in cattle. Yes I know how to put them in correctly, some tell me to use the smaller tags as they stay placed better. We use one ear for Bangs tatoo, the other for personal id tags, just how many ears is a bovine supposed to have? :D :D Thanks for the responses.

Don't use the RFID/Visual combination tag as the retention is less than 95%. Use the visual you currently use and buy the RFID button tag that goes in the very top of the ear close to the head. Hardly any loss this way.

Good luck,

BB

THE BOLUS is the best.The EU will go to BOLUSES in 96 as the only RFID marker .For my thoughts It would be a BRAND and a BOLUS ,THEY have a 100% retention rate.

THE BOLUS is the best.The EU will go to BOLUSES in 96 as the only RFID marker .For my thoughts It would be a BRAND and a BOLUS ,THEY have a 100% retention rate.
YOU misprinted the year Boluses will take effect,ITS the year .2006

Latest posts