• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Interesting places in Western History...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Leanin H....have you ever checked out the inside of a cliff dwelling? I think those are so neat. I've never seen one in person. Only in pictures. I'm sure they had to climb ladders up and down to get to them???

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Leanin H....have you ever checked out the inside of a cliff dwelling? I think those are so neat. I've never seen one in person. Only in pictures. I'm sure they had to climb ladders up and down to get to them???

They are in some pretty unaccessable spots and I wonder how they got into some of them as they are so high above the canyon floor. I have found a few that I was able to get into from above by climbing down off the rimrock. I always feel like it is kind of a sacred spot and I am intruding by looking around. But it is sure a neat thing to see. If you ever get to southwestern Colorado don't miss going to Mesa Verde. It is pretty cool to see whole villages of cliff dwellings and Kivas and all kinds of structures. We went to it years ago before I had a good camera so I can't show you any pictures. But it is worth going out of your way to see it. It is near Cortez Colorado.Thanks for all the Texas history! :D I love it!

loomixguy said:
DustDevil said:
I wish I could've salvaged a piece of The Balinese Ballroom on the seawall in Galveston, But I didn't go to down there for about a year and a half after "Ike" and I guess that woulda' been considered looting anyway.

Would that be the Balinese referred to in the ZZ Top song?

I've delivered feed in some pretty neat places. Right along the Oregon Trail, the Pony Express route, several sites of battles between the Lakotas and the Pawnee, and Alice Blue Cloud (Chief Red Cloud's daughter) is buried right south of town....By rifle pits dug by Zebulon Pike, near a hideout of Frank & Jesse James', etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yR2BciEnc That's the one. I linked to this one, should be it but I couldn't get the sound.

Those are some cool pics of missions, etc.. Lilly. I haven't been the Alamo since '77. Went to Espiritu Santo de Zuniga in Goliad on a truck trip with my Dad back in Jr. High. Love those old Spanish Missions and their grounds. Ever been to Alamo Village near Brackettville? Pretty cool place, but closed now I understand.

That Mission Springs station looks like it had arrowproof walls-I wish I'd had more time to snoopp around when we travelled through Utah. When TTB's Mom and Dad took us around their winter pasture we saw some tough country that people had tried to homestead and farm. Didn't they usually climb into the cliff dwellings from the top-then pull the ladders down inside?

leanin' H said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:

They are in some pretty unaccessable spots and I wonder how they got into some of them as they are so high above the canyon floor. I have found a few that I was able to get into from above by climbing down off the rimrock. I always feel like it is kind of a sacred spot and I am intruding by looking around. But it is sure a neat thing to see. If you ever get to southwestern Colorado don't miss going to Mesa Verde. It is pretty cool to see whole villages of cliff dwellings and Kivas and all kinds of structures. We went to it years ago before I had a good camera so I can't show you any pictures. But it is worth going out of your way to see it. It is near Cortez Colorado.Thanks for all the Texas history! :D I love it!

Two of my uncles used to hunt mule deer and elk in Utah probably 40 years ago. One of them told me they came up on the edge of a canyon and across and down the cliff face they saw some cliff dwellings that appeared to be "undiscovered". He said they weren't indicated on the topo map and there were no trails leading to it they could see. When I asked if they climbed down to explore them he said it looked like way too much work and beside, they paid a pretty penny for out-of-state hunting lic.
I think I'd leave them a secret, as well.

Latest posts