• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Irish Blacks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
What do you guys think about Irish Blacks? Where is the best place to buy quality Irish black bulls? Do they cross well with angus, and what is the usual price range on the bulls?

I think they look very intersting. I just saw an ad for some in Montana,
around Billings, I think. I'll have to look for it, but I bet someone on
this forum will give you the info you are looking for. I'll be interested
to see who has some, if I can't find the ad.

Northern Rancher said:
http://www.irishblacks.com/

All you need to know!

Interesting.

But I disagree with this:

"In the first 20 years in our program, the dam had to wean off a calf at 205 days that weighed 60% of her body weight or she went to slaughter"

Granted---it'll sort the slackers out---but, it could penalize a cow that brings in a good calf while keeping herself in shape--and keep a cow in the herd that weans big calf but comes in skinny herself---and will probably eventually wash out. DeBoo's bcs theirs---then pencil add wt to skinny and subtract wt from good conditon---then do the % weaned math---only people i've heard of that do it this way---seems to make sense.

But---I'm not knocking the irish blks---do look interesting,as I said.

They sound almost too good to be true-% body weight weaned is just a number to play around with-it's easier to wean a higher % with more moderate cows than to try and push a calf to catch up to a behemouth. It's not out of the world for a 12 weight cow to bring in a 6 weight calf but unless you are under kind conditions 1600 pound cows have trouble bringing in 8 weights. I used to weigh both-the best we did was 68% and the worst was 27% of dam's weight but I didn't need a scale to pick those cows out. If I'm ever in that part of Colorado I'm going to stop in and have a peek.

We fed some for a guy 5-6 years ago. They were not near as good as his straight Angus calves. But it is hard to judge a breed on only seeing 20 calves.

I've spoken with Maurice over the phone a few times. They also judged females by BCS, though did not do the adj BCS like DeBoo and others. Maurice told me if a cow/hfr weaned 60% but ran herself into the ground, she also got culled. Whether or not they stuck to this practice religiously - who's to say? You've got to have deep pockets to cull that hard, but once you get through the first 10 years I would think the cull rate went down.

Prices are steep = $4000 to start on bulls, last I spoke with him. They are fascinating to me, and I also would like to see some in person. Then I would decide if I want to pursue personal experience with them from there. :wink:

Also, you may want to speak with Guy Gould, manager. Maurice is 93 and his memory is starting to fail him. Progress in a conversation is challenging at times. I really wish I could have spent a day visiting with him in his prime. His mentor, Dr. Jay Lush, was a top geneticist that taught Maurice how to build the foundation of a linebreeding program. He instructed him to "test" his herd sire prospects by breeding them to at least 14 of their daughters. If any one calf came out with a defect or was really sub-standard, they culled the bull and all females and tried another. You can imagine how long it took him to get 3 "Pure" sire lines to start his linebreeding with before he closed the herd.

The cattle are fed well, it's not like they are PCC genetics that live on pasture year round - oh wait, those can't either.

After my visits with Maurice and Guy, I bought Jay Lush's book through Amazon. I am using it as a guide, along with my conversations with Jim Lents and his book. Combined with my own observations of what cattle work here and which do not, I'm a few years into a linebred herd of Galloways. I am a few years away from closing the herd, as I am still looking for sires. I'm just sharing this to illustrate how much work goes into a program like the Irish Blacks. Regardless of rumors and claims, even if they come close to doing what he says they can, they are far better than most AI Alumni, Show Ring Sweeties or Test Station Tubs.

That's the problem with cattle breeding. To really see the fruits of your breeding labors you have to live a long life.

Easier to join the Bull of the Month Club.

Every time I hear the grandiose claims of the superiotrity of cousins mating I just look at the history of the British Royal family. Don't get me wrong I don't discount linebreeding as a tool but it sure as heck isn't the only tool. As well it better be undertaken with individuals that are worthy-as to the Irish Blacks-when things sound too good to be true-that is usually the case. I'm sure going to check them out but I'm kind of from Missouri on this one.

You could probably find a few Irish Blacks in a few days,------St.Paddy's day 3-17! :D :D :wink:

N.R., are you sure the Brit. Royal family stuck to the program???? Maybe it isn't the program which is flawed, and the 'culling' pobably didn't hold up, either!!!

Anyway, the site is interesting, as is learning more about any breed or program.

mrj

Latest posts