• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is Rcalf to blame for this one too SH?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

From Mike's post. I take it that it came from our Ag minister or one of her flunkies.
"The little guy didn't have that much invested or he would have got a bigger cheque."

Says it all, doesn't it.

The little guy only has himself and his family invested that's all. Who needs them.

No one has yet disputed the 33 million figure claimed to be paid to Tyson. Try the math.

The program was $80 per head.

33 million divide by 80 = 412,500 head

Randy admitted to getting what $3200? If that was on the $80 per head program that works out to 40 head.

The program paid out on 972,000 head Jason. If your figures are correct, I guess Tyson owned 1/2 the cattle.

Geez wiz, with that many head you could almost accidently have a major influence on the market Hey.

The following report contains information on recipients of the six BSE compensation programs offered to Alberta livestock producers and operations between June 25, 2003 and June 4, 2004.

The report lists alphabetically the names of 22,312 vendors and the amount paid to each.
All program eligibility is based on a per-head calculation.
The six programs covered 972,721 animals.
The total sum of program payments was $402,882,627.28.

Lakeside Farms received 32,943,592.81

Total of six programs? The furor was over the single $80 per head payment. Lakeside Farms must stand as a seperate entity to Tyson's packerhouse.

If you knew anything about our cattle numbers Randy you would know it is impossible for Lakeside to own over 400,000

All of feedlot alley only has a capacity of 400,000

Where did I say you should be punted out of the industry for only having 40 head? All I said was do the math. I never even made any claim about it in my first post.

By doing the math there is either a mistake in the report of how much Lakeside got, or the conclusion I made above that Lakeside Farms is seperate from the packer end.

That feedlot at Brooks has a 35,000 hd capacity.

Some of the subsidy programs covered cows, I would conclude Lakside Farms must own some cows. I never knew that, it would be nice for some clairification from someone closer to their operation.

That takes us back to a new starting point then. If the farm stands seperate, they were entitled to the subsidy same as any other farm, large or not. They are not entitled to packer profits so they have no advantage other than size.

Granted they would get spots in the kill line before a stranger would, but Cor Van Raay also got spots when others couldn't. The biggest feeders got preference. It is easier to negotiate kill slots on 1 group rather than have to shuffle 100 small groups.

Does any of this make sence yet?

You might not like that Lakeside is affiliated with Tyson, but it is legal and if they have done the books seperate the farm is a stand alone entity.

Sandhusker said:
I don't believe there is a conspiracy - just the expected results of "donations" to political candidates & parties.

Isn't it interesting and maybe a twist on the "donations" to political parties from those "big businesses" some love to hate......that the worst regulations and road-blocks for ranchers and farmers originate with eco-extremists, including the local ones who don't want feedlots, dairies, etc. "in their back yards"? And the higher taxes on us are because of more "wants" by local people (money for schools, roads, hospitals and some luxuries requiring more local and state taxes), along with federal government mandates for things, and yes, even handouts to the less fortunate, demanded by citizens.

It isn't just the "big boys" making their "political donations" that is squeezing us and creates difficulties in making a living from agriculture, now, is it?

MRJ

You've got a point, MRJ, there are many hands out for our tax dollars. Yet, what is on the up and and up and what is shady? I see a huge difference between groups asking that the money be spent on their projects and individuals or businesses expecting favors for "donations".

The cattle/beef industry in Canada has been very vocal about not wanting handouts from the gov't prior to BSE.

It was leave us alone and let us conduct business. And until May 2003 it was working. Our industry was growing leaps and bounds.

BSE changed everything, but we will rebound as an industry. The sooner we have normal markets the sooner we will start growing again and erase those bad memories, but hopefully not the lessons learned.

Latest posts