• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is this a Texas thing??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Question for "ya'll"......

Down here I've noticed on more than one occassion at more than one place that people would put water in bags (like baggies) and hang them around. I noticed these and thought to myself...oh Lord, this northern boy is gonna have to ask. Well I did and they told me that it was some old wise tail that the water in baggies would keep flies away!!! I sorta threw the Bull **** flag, and left it at that....but there weren't any flies around really.....coincidence prolly!??! I'd never heard of that till I was around a few Texans?

Any comments or opinions on that??? Does anyone else do this or atleast heard of it??? Maybe its a common wise tail and i just grew up under a rock or something. Just curious to you guys' thoughts.

I have seen it a time or two and the say it works, but I don't know it it really does or not thro. :???: I think it has something to do with the light.

You know, bet that's why there are no zebras in TX either. :D

Never heard of that. But here's a bit on it. It seems to me that the flies have sight that's not very sharp, and thinks that the bag of water is a spider web, hornet's nest, or wasp's nest.
http://www.magent.com/flypestcontrol.htm

I think a fly swatter works better, just cause, they actually GO, not just leave.

No, no ,no, TXtibbs, didn't think you were knocking anything. You saw it first in TX, and assumed it was a Texas thing. As a matter of fact youjust asked. It is really more prominent though in S America. For real!

Sierraman said:
No, no ,no, TXtibbs, didn't think you were knocking anything. You saw it first in TX, and assumed it was a Texas thing. As a matter of fact youjust asked. It is really more prominent though in S America. For real!

one question, though, gentlemen......DOES IT WORK??? darned flies get so thick around here when the wind dies down (which is pretty rare) and the temperature starts to climb!!!! :roll:

Ranchwife, I 'll tell you this. A zipper baggy is what? 2 cents a peice. And water is super nominal if you've got a tap. Worth a try, don't you think?

Sierraman said:
Ranchwife, I 'll tell you this. A zipper baggy is what? 2 cants a peice. And water is super nominal if you've got a tap. Worth a try, don't you think?

sure worth a try....when this rain dies down today i will have to give her a try and keep you posted!!!! Thanks for the suggestion :wink:

I've seen it...been to a couple bbq's where they had baggies with water hangin around the patio....I guess it worked cuz I didnt notice any flys..but it just looked tacky....kinda the same affect as milk jugs full of water linin your front yard to keep stray dogs away.....(real tacky)...
but I spose if the flys got bad enuff I might give it a try....the baggy thang that is....NOT the milk jug thang.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I've seen it...been to a couple bbq's where they had baggies with water hangin around the patio....I guess it worked cuz I didnt notice any flys..but it just looked tacky....kinda the same affect as milk jugs full of water linin your front yard to keep stray dogs away.....(real tacky)...
but I spose if the flys got bad enuff I might give it a try....the baggy thang that is....NOT the milk jug thang.

our corrals are just a hop-skip and jump from the house and the flies get pretty thick around here.....and if there is one thing i HATE is the dreaded fly-tape hanging from every ceiling in the house!! :shock: :shock: !!! so, i guess we will give the baggies of water a try and see......stay tuned for updates!! :wink:

About the jugs. Here's a good reason it works. People will think you're crazy and keep there dogs out of your yard. Not my idea either.

Our local restaurant put those (bags with water) up a while back. The health dept made them take 'em down because they were covered with...................................

"fly specks".

I dont know if the dogs are skeered of the milk jugs with water in em , or they think it's as tacky as I do and avoid the area...but supposedly if you put a few milk jugs around with water the dogs won't come in your yard.

We went bushwhacking a few weeks ago in the Adirondacks. For 5 hrs we had swarms of flies and mosquitos in our eyes, ears, you name it.
Lovely :?
Wonder if a water baggy on top of the head would have helped. Repellent didn't do diddly.

Another ideas on the jugs. Maybe the dogs see water and don't wanna piddle near water cause they think they'll spoil the supply.

Latest posts