• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

It's Prion time again in Alberta.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I guess I have to believe the fact that when God created man, she was only kidding!!!!

"Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Matthew 7:5

The thought police have spoken! I will now fear and tremblingly obey. Maybe.

bse-tester said:
People, if you want to get into some serious religeous conversations, please open a forum for that elsewhere.

Not to be disrespectful, but preaching the why's, where's, who did what and why and whether God is a woman or whatever is not what this thread is all about so please, take your pulpit(s) and set it up some place else so this thread can get back to that which it was designed for.

My God, bs-er, have you no sense of humor?

Shaft,

I was raised Presbyterian, so my destiny is predetermined. :wink:
I too have a wonderful wife, daughter, and son that I live for and couldn't be happier! :D

But, I guess this was Ron's thread, so we better give it back to him.

Back to the subject of human and animal health;you make some good points. Having said that, the current tests being used will not detect PrPsc in any animal in the early stages of the PrPsc beginning to replocate within the host. The test simply is not that sensitive.

BSE TESTER Quote;Our test will. We have shown that in numerous studies at Case Western. Our test will identify PrPsc in an animal months or even years prior to that animal displaying clinical symptoms and that is what seperates our test from the one the CFIA/USDA uses and my point is simply this - do you think the US & Canadian Governments want to test all animals now that they have received a level 3 ranking from the OIE - sure as hell not!! If they used our test to test all animals, then there would be a heck of a lot more animals found and that would blow their OIE ranking out of the water.

My own research on Ron's test is that it will be the saving test we all need from animal to man for Pirons.

My own research on Ron's test is that it will be the saving test we all need from animal to man for Pirons

Which drags me back kicking and screaming to one of the original questions. Has a cost analysis been done for setup and operational costs at the packer, including timelines that work and an absolutely tight and idiot-proof (if there really is such a thing) check-off protocol that ensures all carcasses are correctly tagged etc. In my experience screw-ups in labelling the specimens in the lab have accounted for more damage than misdiagnoses.

What is the estimated per carcass cost once you are up and running? Based on what volume? Why isn't Randy promoting this as a value add-on to Canada Gold Beef? Do you need any help kicking Ottawa's butt on this? Ah, the mysteries of the Universe.

I have a simple philosophy; if it works and it is clearly in the greater good, make it happen. I am open to being convinced and brought on board if you think I can help.

RobertMac,

Ah, the Kirk! Good for you laddie.

Sorry Ron, predestination made me do it.

Randy is promoting testing Shafty and would be taking Ron's test to Ottawa myself if it were already validated.

I will give you a cost estimate as well. It will cost far less than the 10 billion that I have heard BSE has cost our fine country due to not testing.

Thanks for backing away from the religious banter ---- some of us don't have a hope in hell of keeping up. And so far - according to most religions - that is where I am heading.................... :twisted:

rkaiser said:
Thanks for backing away from the religious banter ---- some of us don't have a hope in hell of keeping up. And so far - according to most religions - that is where I am heading.................... :twisted:

Why not check it out for yourself instead of just taking everyone else's word for it? :twisted:

Randy, keep the place warm no matter what - I might be there some time also. Having said that - the cost of the test is somewhat of a grey area at this time. We have heard of as much as $300+ per head from good old Ralph when he was our Premier - nonsense of course.

The cost of the antibody per test works out to be between $0.03 to $0.08 (3 to 8 cents per test) and the cost of the actual test procedure when done in the level 3 lab can range anywhere from $25.00 per test, based on quantity one to as little as between $5.00 and $ 10.00 per head when done in multipuls that can be as high as 2000 or more tests per day. Of course, this depends on the ability of the lab to conduct such large numbers of testing.

The bottom line is and will always remain important and critical to the producers and that is why we are going to do all we can, once our test is validated, to ensure that the average producer can afford to have his animals tested for a reasonable and workably affordable price.

Some say that price is a hurdle. We say that once tested, that animal will attract a more wider-ranging market and a higher price per pound which, we feel will offset the cost of testing dramatically and may even surpass it thereby giving further incentive to conduct wider testing.

Randy is absolutely right when he discusses the lost cost of approximately $ 10 Billion in Canada alone. There are so many "what if's" that it would take a lifetime to figure out why the CFIA and the USDA did not take our test and run with it when we offered them 10,000 free tests each so that they could take it, use it, test it, do whatever they wished with it in order to evaluate it completely.

They chose not to do anything at all. So, I am doing it myself.

I see we have another one who likes to use my name is vain - bs-er he calls me.

Poor soul that needs saving - follow the path that Shaft has shown you and you will be saved. otherwise, you too will learn of the folly when you bring a knife to gun-fight. LOL

My humor borders on legendary - so burnt - be afraid, be very afraid.

the cost of the actual test procedure when done in the level 3 lab

Level 3 lab. Ouch. That sounds like sending the samples out to be tested. No wonder Ralph said $300 per head. He was running the labs. Please tell me I'm wrong. Onsite at the packer would be better, I think.

Any chance of using that proprietary mcAb and attaching a fluorescent tag? That way a simple UV microscope might be able to do the job. As I recall there was a brilliant little test developed in the 80's to screen pregnant women for chlamydia that was, as they say, slicker than owl poop. 99% sensitive and 97% specific as I recall. Cost circa $20 retail at the time and could be evaluated using a UV microscope in the doctor's office. Microtrak made it, and apparently still does. Amazing that the grey cells retained all that.

http://www.trinitybiotech.com/Products/Brand/?cat=b&id=110

I will give you a cost estimate as well. It will cost far less than the 10 billion that I have heard BSE has cost our fine country due to not testing.

Now Randall, you know perfectly well that the Canadian government has fully compensated cattle producers for their losses due to BSE. I sent you their report, after all. Didn't you read it?

http://www.bseclassaction.ca/pdfs/BSE%20in%20Canada%20-%20Losses%20and%20Government%20Compensation%20-%20Klein%2012.Feb.08.pdf

Of course, my calculator using StatsCan's Farm Cash Receipts report Professor Klein's compensation numbers (which are way off) with expected industry growth factored in says the lost income to Canadian cattle producers as as result of BSE is $11.6B as of January 1, 2007 and counting.

I must be wrong. Probably just can't use a calculator properly.

bse-tester said:
I see we have another one who likes to use my name is vain - bs-er he calls me.

Poor soul that needs saving - follow the path that Shaft has shown you and you will be saved. otherwise, you too will learn of the folly when you bring a knife to gun-fight. LOL

My humor borders on legendary - so burnt - be afraid, be very afraid.

Not in vain, bs-er. Simple matter of economy of space.

However, I will heed your advice and be on the lookout for the legend of your humor.

I will indeed follow the path of Sh-t awhile renewing his question on the cost of your proposed test. What will it look like on the ranch/farm scale including collection costs, frequency to maintain clean herd status, administration, etc?

What is the turn-around time for the test?

Quote Sh-t "Onsite at the packer would be better, I think."

Really? Who will hold the cattle (payment) until the test clears?

How will it work if we do not have M-COOL?

What are the chances of our lethargic USDA (another legendary entity in its own right) actually endorsing it?

Where will it leave the US beef industry if our Canucklehead cousins accept it first?

Well bu-t, it may just be a question of heading on down to your local vet who can sample and process the test while-u-wait if the boyz can turn it into a fluorescent Ab sandwich test that works. Simple and cheap. Gotta love monoclonal antibodies.

As for the politics, I do not believe that the US is going to move to testing anytime soon, no matter how cheap and effective. After all, the FDA still refuses to ban poultry manure from cattle feed, although it contains poultry feed which contains RMBM. Not to mention they say you are what you eat.

If the Canuckleheads bring in a BSE test first, then we revert to pre-2003 with the exception that the US consumer will be paying a premium for Canadian BSE-tested beef. So will the rest of the world for that matter. Bring on COOL.

burnt asks-

Why not check it out for yourself instead of just taking everyone else's word for it?

Been there burnt - in ways you will likely never imagine. Thus my disgust with organised religious cultures.

If you weren't asking me to go to hell -- sorry for my interpretation of your post.

As far as your last question - when we use the test before you and your ass backward American cousins, you will be left to wallow in your subsidies and trailer parks and we will finally be doing business with the most lucrative markets in the world rather than the largest who would rather poison its population than feed it properly. :wink:

rkaiser said:
burnt asks-

Why not check it out for yourself instead of just taking everyone else's word for it?

Been there burnt - in ways you will likely never imagine. Thus my disgust with organised religious cultures.

If you weren't asking me to go to hell -- sorry for my interpretation of your post.

As far as your last question - when we use the test before you and your ass backward American cousins, you will be left to wallow in your subsidies and trailer parks and we will finally be doing business with the most lucrative markets in the world rather than the largest who would rather poison its population than feed it properly. :wink:

Aauuccch die lieber, first day on the job and subjected to being called "bu-t" and "trailer trash", along with allegations of being equivalent to a Chinese exporter. I love this bar.

Would there be any redemption in saying that we have moved into a double-wide?

Or is it just American destiny to attract such antagonism?

R-iser, those who have been to the gates and back are usually loath to consign another there - consider the above recommendation as referring to the necessary journey of discovery rather than the destination.

After all, you don't sound like a typical, mindless follower who would be told where to go anyway.

kat-a - s-s-b-f'ers are those from the dregs of society who capitalize on the losses of others. They can take on the appearance of "Angels of Light".

Or did you have another definition in mind?

Why would anyone pay money to see a Bad movie when Good entertainment happens right here on ranchers :D

The bottom line is and will always remain important and critical to the producers and that is why we are going to do all we can, once our test is validated, to ensure that the average producer can afford to have his animals tested for a reasonable and workably affordable price.

HIP HIP HORAY I WANT TO BE FIRST. TESTING THOSE BEASTS AH BOVINES,
GO RON GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PORKER said:

HIP HIP HORAY I WANT TO BE FIRST. TESTING THOSE BEASTS AH BOVINES,
GO RON GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P---ER, I hope you did not piddle beside the sampling bucket in your obvious state of euphoric and giddy delight at being first. We would not want to further obfuscate the bottom line.

Which, incidentally, will be directly affected by the cost - a matter of note that you and bs-er seem to dance around with all the acumen of polished politicians.

To say that it will be less than the cost of lost opportunities is really quite silly and hopelessly open ended.

However, it has been said that one is selling fish, he does not call out to his customers "Selling stinky fish!".

Thus, it leaves us to question whether you meant to say "Whore-eh" due to the Canucklehead influence. Better to stick with YaHOO.

Latest posts