• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I've got some questions???????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Keagan M

Reaction score
First of all i am still just thinking over the idea of staring a cow calf herd of Angus but i am very interested in bale beds and was wondering if anyone on hear has any problems with them as to feeding in the winter also was thinking that i could take a first cut of hay off the pasture for winter feed and then turn them out to pasture in june so just let me know what your input is thanks.

Now the hay and pasture issue is a tough question for almost anyone on here to answer because of the difference in climates and growing seasons that we all experience. Are there any cow calf guys in your part of the country that you can consult with or watch?

GCreekranch would tell you that it won't work because where he is up in the high country of BC the snow is still coming - well, maybe not - but the hay sure isn't very tall yet in May!

Do you get much snow where you live out there on the east coast? That would have a big impact on how you feed hay. A bale bed wouldn't work here in Ontario because the snow usually gets too deep, sometimes even for a tractor.

There used to be an Maritimes poster on here by the name of Red Country but he hasn't been on for a while. From PEI or Nova Scotia I think?

Balebeds are super handy. Once you have one actually feeding cows is about number 5 on the list of using one. When the snow gets deep not to much use though. Also my experience if you feed some hay thats not real good quality they waist a lot using a bale bed. Also if you bale up some grass or something that is pretty short the bale will make about one turn then just fall apart in a big pile. Overall I love mine, but don't think I would ever plan on feeding full time with it.

Making hay in June/July and pastureing hayfields for 2nd and 3rd cutting would work in the north east. Do not hay the fields then continous graze for rest of season as that is a recipe for disastter. You need to setup temporary fence and move the animals daily or every other day to avoid over grazing the fields and ruining future production. The maritines providences have some good extension people(not sure canadian name) contact the ones for your providence,

the most used bale deck in the country is owned by a fellow that developed a garbage/construction waste disposal business, with bins that he pick's up and haules with a 1 ton truck and a bale bed. don't believe that he's ever picked a bale.... maybe, he does have a horse :lol: :lol:

no bale beds here, but aliot of 5th wheel balls weled on top of a bale spinner, so if you have a good packed snow road you take your 5th wheel with a load of hay behind the tractor.

Everyone runs bale beds here but we are way south from you. If I was all close together I would use a tractor but being so far strung out it isn't feasible to run a tractor miles and miles each day.

Latest posts