• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan and US beef

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike said:
http://www.asahi.com/english/opinion/TKY200502150118.html

Problems with age verification?

Still, allowing consumers to choose what they eat is not a bad thing-and given the safety issue, this is paramount. But consumer trust in public administration by the central government will evaporate if the authorities are inconsistent.

--The Asahi Shimbun, Feb. 13(IHT/Asahi: February 15,2005)

maybe the Japanese will teach the Americans and Canadians something.

And to think that we could of been testing and shipping beef for months now ....... :(

The sad part about this is that it was sooooo predictable. :x

Mike, the A40 carcass qualification makes it virtually impossible for an animal to be over 20 months of age. The science on this will prevail. People will purchase the beef once the scare tactics are replaced by the scientific research. Have a great day.

Thanks for the insight Agman you always know how to straighten these R-calfers out!! Keep up the good work! :wink:

agman said:
Mike, the A40 carcass qualification makes it virtually impossible for an animal to be over 20 months of age. The science on this will prevail. People will purchase the beef once the scare tactics are replaced by the scientific research. Have a great day.

Response:I don't mean to rain on your parade Agman but how scientific is someone looking at a carcass and guessing the age? Do they train them at the "School of Circus", along with the weight guessers? Plus the fact that we have only 160 graders working for the USDA examining 35 million head per year with no plans to add more!

MR, I have no affiliation with R-Calf whatsoever.

Mike, the USDA has been using Carcass age qualification for many years. This is not new scinece. The studies were completed with animals of know age for verification of the process to satisfy the Japanese. Even the Japanese acknowledge that we have used this process for many years. No new graders will be needed. They can be trained quickly for this process to identify and qualify carcasses as A40. I am certain this is part of the protocol that is being worked out now. This will all work out so you can "cool it". Have a great day. agman

Latest posts