• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan Not Accepting US Aging Technology

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Japan cautious over restarting US beef imports

AFP , TOKYO
Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005,Page 12
Japan indicated yesterday that it would not rush to resume imports of US beef until assessing concerns about mad cow disease amid intense US pressure ahead of a visit by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"We cannot say when at the moment" Japan will lift the ban, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda, the government spokesman, told a news conference.

He emphasized that Japan had already accepted a key US demand by agreeing not to test every cow to be slaughtered.

The stumbling point is how to test the cows' ages, with Japan saying there is not enough evidence to go ahead with methodology proposed by the US.

"The US proposals came after we reached a scientific conclusion in Japan that cows younger than 20 months old can be exempted from all-out checks," Hosoda said.

Japan used to be the biggest foreign market for US beef but shut off the multibillion-dollar trade in December 2003 after a cow slaughtered in Washington state was found to have bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow disease, linked to a fatal brain condition in humans.

Members of the US Congress from farm states have called for trade sanctions against Japan unless it resumes buying US beef soon.

US President George W. Bush personally urged Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, one of his key international allies, to lift the ban in a telephone call last Wednesday, a message Rice is expected to emphasize in meetings in Tokyo on Saturday.

Yasufumi Tanahashi, the state minister overseeing food safety, said the government would "watch independent debate" at the experts' panel on beef, suggesting Tokyo would not put political pressure on it before Rice's visit.

Oldtimer said:
Japan cautious over restarting US beef imports

AFP , TOKYO
Wednesday, Mar 16, 2005,Page 12
Japan indicated yesterday that it would not rush to resume imports of US beef until assessing concerns about mad cow disease amid intense US pressure ahead of a visit by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"We cannot say when at the moment" Japan will lift the ban, Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Hosoda, the government spokesman, told a news conference.

He emphasized that Japan had already accepted a key US demand by agreeing not to test every cow to be slaughtered.

The stumbling point is how to test the cows' ages, with Japan saying there is not enough evidence to go ahead with methodology proposed by the US.

"The US proposals came after we reached a scientific conclusion in Japan that cows younger than 20 months old can be exempted from all-out checks," Hosoda said.

Response..R-Calf's accusations and the judge's ruling did nothing to encourage Japan to re-establish trade contrary to R- Calf's misguided beliefs. Read the post this AM by Bill Burger. Those comments from the Japanese are consisting with what I said shortly after the judge's ruling on keeping the border closed. Have a great day.

agman...Those comments from the Japanese are consisting with what I said shortly after the judge's ruling on keeping the border closed. Have a great day.

Those comments are hearsay and not official. If the Japanese feel that way why don't they come out and say it officially?

tommy...Those comments are hearsay and not official. If the Japanese feel that way why don't they come out and say it officially?[/quote]

REsponse: Were the quotes previousluy posted heresay?

I say; only with country of origin labeling should the US allow the importation on any beef products. That includes live, boxed, cooked, caned in soup, or even mummified. If it isn't labeled and it came from a bovine, don't bring it in.
Label where it came from all the way to the plate and we will look at what is safe and what is not. How can Japan have a problem with that?
Be COOL or get out of the USA

Tommy said:
agman...Those comments from the Japanese are consisting with what I said shortly after the judge's ruling on keeping the border closed. Have a great day.

Those comments are hearsay and not official. If the Japanese feel that way why don't they come out and say it officially?

How many of R-CALFs comments are hearsay and you believe every word. , Bullard said the US was testing a high number of cattle Tommy you believe him but I posted the actual number to prove he was wrong. Was it Hearsay when R-CALF claimed that Canada wasn't complying to the feed bans? NCBA and the USDA came and saw we were. Is is hearsay that there will be a flood of cattle coming down to the US as soon as the border opens? NCBA came and saw that our feedlots are current and are not filled to capacity and we have increased slaughter capacity by over 20% I love it when you R-CALFers don't want to believe something it is Hearsay but if Bulland says it, its a fact.

The Japanese, as expected, have been stalling and making excuses since the start. It's just one reason after the other after the other after the other. What else does one expect when you trample on a nations's sovereignity and demand they do something they don't want to do?

Sandhusker said:
The Japanese, as expected, have been stalling and making excuses since the start. It's just one reason after the other after the other after the other. What else does one expect when you trample on a nations's sovereignity and demand they do something they don't want to do?

Response...That is quite a change from your phony "do what the customer wants - the customer is always right" position. Now it is delay and politics!!!! Officially they have never stated they would accept our product if tested. Have a great day.

agman... Were the quotes previousluy posted heresay?

You tell me agman. When a reporter says a Japanese official told me....bla bla bla..

No names of the official(s)...No official statement from the Japanese government.

Hearsay in my opinion.

Tommy said:
agman... Were the quotes previousluy posted heresay?

You tell me agman. When a reporter says a Japanese official told me....bla bla bla..

No names of the official(s)...No official statement from the Japanese government.

Hearsay in my opinion.

Response...I that kinda like believing everything R- Calf tells you Tommy? I will be on a conference call tommorw, it won't be heresay.

agman said:
Sandhusker said:

Response...That is quite a change from your phony "do what the customer wants - the customer is always right" position. Now it is delay and politics!!!! Officially they have never stated they would accept our product if tested. Have a great day.

Quite a change? It only reinforces my "do as the customer wants" policy. You wonder why the delay? It's because we wouldn't do what they wanted in the first place! "Officially", I don't believe they did say they would take our tested cattle. However, Creekstone was in direct negotiatons with them, had a contact, and felt the deal was solid enough to invest a few million of their own dollars to get set up for testing.

Have they "officially" stated R-CALF's comments are encouraging them to keep their border's closed? If we need "official" statements on one topic, lets be consistant.

From lmaweb.com - Livestock Marketing Association Mar 16

"Don't look for Japan to offer a "date certain" for reopening their borders to U.S. beef, when U.S. Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice meets with top Japanese officials later this week. The top government spokesman, asked if there would be a "date certain," said "I think it will be fairly difficult" to set a date….meanwhile, some news reports this morning say that Japanese officials told R-CALF USA officials that their actions to keep the border closed are hindering the return of U.S. beef to Japan. There was no immediate comment from R-CALF on these reports"

agman...I will be on a conference call tommorw, it won't be heresay.

So you will be able to report "officially" the Japanese government's stance on R-CALF after your conference call?

Even if Agman did say it offically you wouldn't believe him so why don't you call the R-CALF office and ask Bulland or McDonnell, if they will take your call, if a Japanese official told them "that their actions to keep the border closed are hindering the return of U.S. beef to Japan. " Then you can come back and report your official hearsay.R-CALF didn't seem to have a comment made up before this reporter when to print. Maybe they have come up with something by now and you can get the scoop and officially release it here on Ranchers.net. Come on Tommy call and ask.

I can imagine the call:

"press 1 now to speak to one of our many lawyers"

"press 2 to hear the lie of the day"

"press 3 if you want to hear the most recent advantagious science"

"press 4 if you want to hear PETA's web address"

"press 5 now, if you are not gullible and we will return you to the main menu, for reprogramming"

Tam...Even if Agman did say it offically you wouldn't believe him

I will believe it Tam when there is an official Japanese government statement saying "that their actions to keep the border closed are hindering the return of U.S. beef to Japan. "
Is agman part of the US trade negoiating team?

Tam, you got it all wrong, the reporter said a Japanese official told him, not that the Japanese official told Bullard or McDonnell. Are you spreading lies Tam?

Tommy, did you get an invite to this call? Wonder if your name( reputation and credibilty) or Agman's is more important, seems to be what is of importance to you!

Agman make the truth be known on that call, I'm sure all North Americans would apprceciate it, except the ones that discount your credibility of selling beef to our export markets.

Tommy said:
agman...I will be on a conference call tommorw, it won't be heresay.

So you will be able to report "officially" the Japanese government's stance on R-CALF after your conference call?

Response...I will say nothing "officially" but I will know the facts.

Hahaha Murgen you siwy wabbit!

If you'd like to hear lies about the safety of Canadian beef, PRESS 1.

If you'd like to hear Dennis McDonalds cull cow marketing plans in the event of another BSE case in the U.S., PRESS 2.

If you'd like to hear Bill Bullard say that USDA doesn't care about food safety followed by his report of the number of BSE cattle USDA has tested, PRESS 3.

If you'd like to hear Leo McDonnel discuss the positive attributes of a mandatory ID system, PRESS 4.

If you'd like to hear Leo McDonnel discuss the negative attributes of a mandatory ID system, PRESS 5.

If you'd like to hear the R-CALF "M"COOL implementation and enforcement plan, call USDA.

If you'd like to hear about our failed dumping case against Canada, PRESS 6.

If you'd like to donate, please hang on the line and one of our lawyers will assist you.

~SH~

Latest posts