• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 535 blues...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have a JD 535 round baler. I took on some neighbors meadows this year to hay. I decided to go though the baler. New belts, lower drive belt, bearings, etc. Thought all was well but now i can not get the baler to make a 6' diameter bale each time. I have the diameter knob set at 6. I've redone the assembly on the twine unit. My thought now is to replace the microswitches. Suggestions?
I spoke with a producer who had similar bale diameter inconsistencies. Given we have tried about everything, his suggestion was excellent. He stated the inconsistency came from the pump pressure. Changing hyd lines etc allows air pockets etc to be in the system. So I will bleed the lines and see what transpires. Fingers crossed for this simple solution...

I spoke with a producer who had similar bale diameter inconsistencies. Given we have tried about everything, his suggestion was excellent. He stated the inconsistency came from the pump pressure. Changing hyd lines etc allows air pockets etc to be in the system. So I will bleed the lines and see what transpires. Fingers crossed for this simple solution...
That is what I suggested, in post #20, after talking to an old farm mechanic here. I guess my post go unread for the most part. :confused:

Last edited:
Out to lunch today, at a rural café, I talked with an old farm mechanic. He said best he can remember, the problem is usually the rope operated level that is used to trip the tie for the last bale, may be getting activated somehow. Maybe rough ground as has been mentioned. The other possibility is the tie arm isn't always going the full distance. One fix might be to drain the hydraulic fluid, change the filter, and be sure to bleed it out completely. Maybe when it was rebuilt, it didn't get bled out.
Im slow to getting all the suggestions read. Great thread and i also had a guy here suggest it. Many thanks. Appreciate your attention to the thread and hope i can reciprocate...

That is what I suggested, in post #20, after talking to an old farm mechanic here. I guess my post go unread for the most part. :confused:
Sorry to appear uninterested... Certainly not true.. i finished my hay with a 567 and figured I'd work on the 535 later. So I had not kept up with the threads. I can now focus back on repairs to the 535. Thank you again.

Check the rod up the right hand side of the baler to the top on the size slide adjustment. (sits across the top left hand corner of the twine boxes). If it gets bent at all it can sometimes throw the microswitch or result in some offsizing. We just sold our 535 after 75K bales, so have a bit of familiarity.

Check the rod up the right hand side of the baler to the top on the size slide adjustment. (sits across the top left hand corner of the twine boxes). If it gets bent at all it can sometimes throw the microswitch or result in some offsizing. We just sold our 535 after 75K bales, so have a bit of familiarity.
I will check .. thank you.

Latest posts