• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

JD 7000 planter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haytrucker

Reaction score
I probably could have snuck this in elsewhere, but my question is, has anyone had any experience modifying or retrofitting the transmission gears on one of these? With modern seed sizes my summer employer is pulling his hair out planting less than 4.3 mph, or over 6. It seems that there could be a happy medium, but we have yet to find it.
He only plants 180 acres of irrigated corn per year, and is a little picky about the process. Replacing the 'ol girl with an air planter isn't an option we're looking at, although I believe that to be the solution. He is probably right about the seed singulation factor.

I am not sure its a transmission matter. If I correctly remember the operaters manual on the one I had, there was a strongly recomended ground speed do th the seed meter itself so that it would plant properly. I believe going faster will cause more skips. Mel

Faster is'nt always better. Take it easy and do a good job it only add's a day to your planting project if that.

4.3 is plenty fast enough to plant corn. We plant everything at 4.2. Don't ask why its not 4.3 or 4.1, I don't know. :D The people that raise record crops, regarless of what kind it is usually plant between 3 to 3.5 mph. Slower speed equals more equal stand, more equal plant growth, ear size, everything regardless of planter type. Don't know anything about the singulators, but I do know a vacume planter is really nice. :)

Latest posts