• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

john deere can kiss my you know what

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cure

Reaction score
Had a john deere lost the front out from under it. We finally got it on the trailer to take down to the dealership to get fixed. Called the service department to tell them we were running a little late that we would be there right around 5 and that we would need some help getting it off. The service guy told us that if we weren't there in time to have it off by 5 then don't bother coming down because they won't help us. As far as I care I will never buy another jd tractor as long as I live and I will never recommend jd to anyone. There are to many other tractor companies out there that are willing to bend over backwards to get your business that why should a guy have to put up with that type of bullshit.
Well any way I guess I have blown off enough steam that I can go back to work

Your pain, anger, frustration, and stress is quite understandable, and, warranted. However, they should be relayed to the dealer, NOT Deere & Co. If the dealer treats all their customers like they treated you, they won't be in business too much longer. I have been on both sides of the issue, and from the dealer's standpoint, I can somewhat understand their actions (or lack of). I know all too well you can spend your entire life waiting on someone, but that doesn't excuse them for what they did.

That being said, ALL EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS make junk, CAT included. However, some of the junk is better than others, and I have a high opinion of the Deere tractors.

Around here, it's either Deere or Massey. This summer I had my nephew in law put up my prairie hay for me. They use a pull type mo-co, and then bale with the same tractor. He got the hay down, and his wonderful Massey laid down. The dealer said 2-3 weeks to get parts and another day or 2 to get the fix done. Said nephew was about to wet his pants over the news, but I told him not to worry about it. I went to the Deere dealer and rented a nice ($90+ K selling price!) FWA with a self leveling loader on it. Hooked the baler up, Obama rigged the moniter and such, and got the hay all baled in a timely fashion, dropped the baler, rented the Deere dealer's 12 bale self unloading bale wagon, and had the hay gathered, sold and delivered within 24 hours of the last bale being ejected. All thanks to that one JD tractor.

Nephew ended up renting the tractor to get his haying all done. He didn't buy it, but he has a whole new appreciation for JD equipment, since his people are all Massey addicts. He got his tractor back 6 weeks after the breakdown.

Don't hate Deere. Hate the dealer.

Well Ifeel your pain I have a $18,000 John Deere skid loader thats cost me about $35,000 in repairs,payments lost oil not includeing lost wages. But hey The dealer and the company butt rammed me at every angle. The are all the same crooks from the dealer all the way to wall street.John Deere left such a sour taste in my mouth I'd rather just keep running my Belarus tractors than to chance another "UPGRADE"

This sounds more like a dealer issue rather than John Deere company. Why couldn't you just wait tell the morning to get it there rather than show up when they are closing? Personaly I would tell you the same thing they wouldn't get to it until the next day anyway. Just my 2 cents.

tenbach79 said:
This sounds more like a dealer issue rather than John Deere company. Why couldn't you just wait tell the morning to get it there rather than show up when they are closing? Personaly I would tell you the same thing they wouldn't get to it until the next day anyway. Just my 2 cents.
That is what we are going to do now. The problem is now I have run the trator down as soon as they open drop the tractor off hurry home switch trailers load cows and haul them to the packing house to meet my time. What makes me mad is why wouldn't you work with someone. I must be old school but if a custume called and said he had a problem and he is going to be a few minutes late I would tell them to come on down and I will help you with what you need. Not tell them the gate shuts at 5 if your not here soon enough you just as well turn around and go back home. To me this is bad business and word travels and as many of us here on this web site can testify to it is a small world and I would sooner be looked at the guy that went out of his way to help someone in need than to looked at someone that only care about myself.

cure said:
tenbach79 said:
That is what we are going to do now. The problem is now I have run the trator down as soon as they open drop the tractor off hurry home switch trailers load cows and haul them to the packing house to meet my time. What makes me mad is why wouldn't you work with someone. I must be old school but if a custume called and said he had a problem and he is going to be a few minutes late I would tell them to come on down and I will help you with what you need. Not tell them the gate shuts at 5 if your not here soon enough you just as well turn around and go back home. To me this is bad business and word travels and as many of us here on this web site can testify to it is a small world and I would sooner be looked at the guy that went out of his way to help someone in need than to looked at someone that only care about myself.

I'm sure they've had plenty of guys tell them they were running late and they'd be there "shortly" after 5, which evolves to 6 by thetime they get there. Overtime ain't cheap and usually needs to be scheduled, as the dealer guys have a life too.

BlackCattleRancher said:
cure said:
tenbach79 said:

I'm sure they've had plenty of guys tell them they were running late and they'd be there "shortly" after 5, which evolves to 6 by thetime they get there. Overtime ain't cheap and usually needs to be scheduled, as the dealer guys have a life too.

There is a sign displayed in a prominent place in a local implement dealership. It reads: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part."

Sorry just dont see how you can be pissed at John Deere for this. They still couldn't work on it tell the next day anyway, haul cows first then haul the tractor would have solved alot of your problems.

Yeah, customer service is lacking in this world. Last summer I was hauling home a bull who'd gone to visit the neighbors and my saddle horse when my trailer tire started to go flat. I could make it to Little America in Cheyenne, so I headed that direction. I arrived a few minutes before 5pm, and the man working in the tire repair shop told me he was closing up, and to head three miles to another business :mad: :mad: :mad: ... I told him he better hope he still had a job since I would be contacting management :wink: ... I don't believe he works there anymore.

Soapweed said:
BlackCattleRancher said:
cure said:

There is a sign displayed in a prominent place in a local implement dealership. It reads: "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part."

:lol: makes perfect sense :D

And our JD shop rates are $95. But their service isn't very good. I have a JD and a Case IH. My Case service is much superior to JD.

Service is the reason I run John Deere. The local dealer has slipped a little since they were bought out by a larger multi store dealer but they are still way ahead of the others. Neighbors Massey was down almost 2 months waiting for a part to come from Europe.

When I came home from the corps in 1971 the best dealer in the area was an Allis Chalmers dealer and all my equipment was Allis - - - he went out of business and noone wanted to take over as the Allis corp was falling apart.

I got hooked up with two great John Deere dealers ( one has 5 locations and the other has 7 ) and now we are all Deere except for the 9170 Case and I feel either of them wopuld bend over backwards for any customer!

Yes we have breakdowns but that is to be expected. I feel blessed to get the care we get. I did have to deal with two Deere dealers who were crooks in the 1970s but they are now both out of business and their territories have been taken over by the great dealers I deal with. Sooner or later a bad dealer will go by the wayside!

I have been on both sides of the coin. I have been a mechanic and I have needed a mechanic. I can tell you that I never lost a customer because I wasn't willing to put out a little extra effort. It's one thing for someone to expect you to stay and fix a piece of equipment, but to take a half hour to unload it shouldn't be a big deal. After all how many of you would like it if you called a vet in the middle of the night and he told you to call back during business hours. It boils down to what kind of reputation you want to have and showing your customers that you care. If you are a respectable outfit you will get treated with respect.

flyingS said:
I have been on both sides of the coin. I have been a mechanic and I have needed a mechanic. I can tell you that I never lost a customer because I wasn't willing to put out a little extra effort. It's one thing for someone to expect you to stay and fix a piece of equipment, but to take a half hour to unload it shouldn't be a big deal. After all how many of you would like it if you called a vet in the middle of the night and he told you to call back during business hours. It boils down to what kind of reputation you want to have and showing your customers that you care. If you are a respectable outfit you will get treated with respect.

I agree, sometimes an extra little bit of time will return bigger dividends. I try not to call after hours, but there have been times when I called just before closing and had them set parts out by the back door so I could pick them up that evening instead of waiting until morning. I did call a parts store owner one Sunday morning when they had given me the wrong wheel bearing for an inlaws pickup that needed to be on the road to Oklahoma. He went to the store and set the right one out so I could pick it up and I returned the wrong one the next time I was in town.

The guy runing the dealer makes all the difference. We have a JD dealer in town and then we have a guy who sells everything else and gives service. I run everything else because service is what I want. I do not have enough place to have a backup, but the dealer will make it work if you are in a bind.

I posted this a year ago, but last winter my red tractor broke down on a Wed. morning on the day I started doing chores for a neighbor. I called the dealer at 11:00 AM and said I was broke down but was good for the rest of week as I was doing John's chores and could use his tractor, but would need a backup for the next week. His reply was "let me check and see what I can do" 2 hours later they unloaded a tractor in my yard and hauled mine to town. Monday afternoon mine was back and fixed. JD on the other hand loaned out a tractor for summer haying after a guy broke down and their deal was you had to rent 100 hours. After 88 hours that tractor had a breakdown and they insisted on charging for the 100 hours even though the guy who was broke down was left without a tractor and had hay dry and ready to bale. I wonder if they were suprised when a brand new blue tractor was in the hay field when they finally got his Deere delivered?

Another thing that this dealer did, I wanted a rake but a couple things happened and I didn't think I could afford one until July when the hay was wet and we were having sprinkles every other day. I finally decided I had to have a rake to get the hay dry. I went in and he had a few used ones I didn't really like the looks of and a couple new ones that weren't put together yet. I bought a new one and told him "just bring it out whenever you have a chance to put it together" 1:30 Am they pulled it out and parked it 1/2 mile east of my place. I just happened to be up getting a drink when I saw the lights of them unhooking. I just flat out won't even talk to anybody else or price anything else. Service sells, or at least to me.

Whats nice is when you have two very good dealers within 50 miles and both have mutiple locations - - - they each know if they don't give great service the other will!

We are running a 4010, 4020, 4630, (2 ) 4650s then there is a 9170 case as you can tell nothing very new, we just sold ( gave away ) a 7720 that ran over 1,000 acres last year as we found a deal on a 9550 to go with the 9500

But if we did not get great service we would look elsewear in a heart beat.

Also to look at is when I sold my 4230 that I paid $14,400.00 for in 1974 I got $14,000.00 for it! Not bad to put over 10,000 hours on a tractor for $400.00

I'm still looking for a PTO kit for the 9170 - - - have been told one off a 9130 will work if any one has a lead let me know.

I don't have any green equipment. I've got a couple old (early-mid 70s) blue tractors and an antique (1956) one.

Clutch went out on my winter feeding tractor this fall as I was hauling bales in. I made arrangements and since the clutch was still holding I was going to road the tractor to the blue dealer. (Not the one Doug is referring to)

Well, made it about 30 miles down the road and the clutch gave out entirely so the tractor wouldn't move at all under its own power. Called the dealer and they sent the truck out to get it. When it was done and they hauled the tractor home I settled up with them and they did not charge me for trucking.

I did find a discrepancy on the repair bill when I studied it over at home. They charged me twice for the same $640 part. I told the service manager. He called yesterday morning and said that I was charged twice so they would credit my account. I'm glad I paid attention to detail.

our Deere dealer from the 60's tothe early 2000;s was service oriented, now that they have sold to multi dealership conglomerate unless your talking 300-500,000$ combines they don't want to talk to you. used to run deere haying equipment but have switched to NH

Latest posts