• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

John Deere Tie Rod End

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
I have a bad tie rod end on my JD 6310, do they make special wrenches for the tight clearance for this stupid thing? I don't have anything in my shop to get this apart.
a20791c13041cee88b5086_m.JPG

The main problem is something to fit onto the chrome part that would attach to the left side of this tie rod end. Left as you're looking at this picture.

Is there not a short section on the chrome shaft that is flat on opposing sides to allow you to use an open-end wrench?

That part looks suspiciously similar to the one I recently replaced on my TN85A New Holland. It has a spot to slip a wrench over the chrome shaft, which in my case is the steering cylinder.

Is there a possibility that you can put a wrench on the tie rod end on the other front wheel? Not sure which way it is threaded but that might be an option?

There is a flat spot, but it's right next to the tie rod end and I don't have a wrench that thin. Putting a wrench on the tie rod end gives you even less clearance to fit a wrench on that spot.

Isn't the nut on top cast elated? Use a big screwdriver to hold it till houngan get open-ended wrench on it, a little cutting torch massage will help also,

I think I'm going to have to go buy one, looks to be about 30mm, somewhere between 1 1/8"-1 1/4".

I took another look at mine and it is a pretty tight fit. I don't remember how we got around that one but got it tightened somehow. Unless the guy helping me might have had a set of Snap-on wrenches along - they are a nice thin wrench.

One thing that I found is that it pays to shop around a bit for those ends. Quite a difference in price between dealers and brands. since CIH and NH are basically the same tractor in the size I have, those parts are interchangeable, with CIH being lower priced.

Just going by the picture, your parts looks very similar to what I replaced on my NH TN85A.

My JD dealer offered an aftermarket option.
I ended up buying a 30mm wrench from Lowes and grinding it down.

Latest posts