• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

July 18, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Gatheringsomebullsinthecooloftheday.jpg

Gathering some bulls in the cool of the day
Sunflowerisoneofmyaccomplices.jpg

Sunflower is one of my accomplices
Stringingthemalong.jpg

Stringing them along
SunflowerandGoose.jpg

Sunflower and Goose
Peachhitthefarcorners.jpg

Peach hit the far corners of the "roughly" (used both figuratively and lliterally) thousand acre pasture.
Kosmobringingthreemore.jpg

Kosmo bringing three more
Ofcoursetheyarentcooperatingaswellastheycould.jpg

Of course they aren't cooperating as well as they could.
SoKosmogetsabitdampgettingthem.jpg

So Kosmo gets a bit damp getting them turned
Wefirstloadedthe11headonourtrailer.jpg

With the help of a few portable corral panels along a fence, we first loaded the eleven bulls on our trailer. Big Swede is going
to use these bulls on his heifers for the next month. They have been with our heifers since the 16th of May (a little more than sixty days).
He backed his trailer up to ours, and the transfer was made.
Puttinginabarriersothecattlewontgetinthetank.jpg

Putting in a barrier to keep cattle from getting in the tank in this hot weather
Wehauledsome16footpanels.jpg

We hauled some 16-foot wire panels to use for this project.
ThepooroldKidgotdamponthisjobtoo.jpg

The poor old Kid got damp on this job, too. I happened to have my lace-up boot overshoes along. :wink:
Stormcloudsinthedistance-1.jpg

Storm clouds on the horizon. They were actually over a hundred miles away, but the telephoto lens on the camera works pretty good.
Meanwhilebackinthehayfield.jpg

Meanwhile, back in the hayfield
TheKosmoKidgettingdampagain.jpg

The Kosmo Kid is getting damp again because the air-conditioner is not working in that tractor.

Seeing the photo of Kosmo and his pony in the water brings to mind a question. As a kid in the mountain country I could generally count on good, hard footing where there was running water in a creek. If there was very little water standing in a flat piece of ground then you'd better watch for boggy conditions. I have crossed water a number of times horseback in places in Nebraska and it seems like it's hard to tell if the bottom of a creek is going to be real soft or hard. Makes me nervous. Sounds like a greenhorn question, but I'm wondering how a cowboy goes with confidence in a situation such as the one Kosmo was in. How does a feller know if he can't readily see rock or other tell-tale signs that it's good footing? Just something I've always wondered and never trusted until I was on the other side. :lol:

High Plains said:
Seeing the photo of Kosmo and his pony in the water brings to mind a question. As a kid in the mountain country I could generally count on good, hard footing where there was running water in a creek. If there was very little water standing in a flat piece of ground then you'd better watch for boggy conditions. I have crossed water a number of times horseback in places in Nebraska and it seems like it's hard to tell if the bottom of a creek is going to be real soft or hard. Makes me nervous. Sounds like a greenhorn question, but I'm wondering how a cowboy goes with confidence in a situation such as the one Kosmo was in. How does a feller know if he can't readily see rock or other tell-tale signs that it's good footing? Just something I've always wondered and never trusted until I was on the other side. :lol:

This is a hydrological and geological problem whose solution is often derived by field testing and experimentation It is not advisable to undertake without forming a hypothesis that weighs risks against rewards
regarding H2O saturation of the conveyance and its payload.

Figures that a Gulf Coast resident would have a well-thought answer to a water question. :D The "field testing and experimentation" is sure the tricky part once in awhile. 8) "Weighing risk and rewards" is a big part of everyday life. :p

DustDevil said:
This is a hydrological and geological problem whose solution is often derived by field testing and experimentation It is not advisable to undertake without forming a hypothesis that weighs risks against rewards

Yes, what he said. :)

Most of the "potholes" out in the pasture are safe enough to ride through. It is some of the wet spots in the lower meadows that can be treacherous. Sometimes you can jump up and down in one place, and the ground wiggles for twenty feet. Those areas are good places to stay away from, whether on a horse or on a tractor. Some of these Sandhills hay meadows have legends where teams of horses and mowing machines fell in, never to get out again.

When I worked in Wyoming, there were Hereford cows grazing where we wrangled horses. If in doubt about a certain crossing, I've been guilty of find a Hereford cow to drive through first. If she made it across, I figured it would be safe for my horse and me. :wink:

DustDevil said:
High Plains said:

So in other words.....Do you want a easy semi wet day or a LONG soaked day?

Soapweed said:
DustDevil said:

Yes, what he said. :)

Most of the "potholes" out in the pasture are safe enough to ride through. It is some of the wet spots in the lower meadows that can be treacherous. Sometimes you can jump up and down in one place, and the ground wiggles for twenty feet. Those areas are good places to stay away from, whether on a horse or on a tractor. Some of these Sandhills hay meadows have legends where teams of horses and mowing machines fell in, never to get out again.

When I worked in Wyoming, there were Hereford cows grazing where we wrangled horses. If in doubt about a certain crossing, I've been guilty of find a Hereford cow to drive through first. If she made it across, I figured it would be safe for my horse and me. :wink:

Around here if there are cow tracks it's usually safe, no tracks means you better find another place. If they sink in very much I'll find another crossing. This spring with all the rain there were soft spots way up on the hills. Some of those were found by experimentation. :shock: :shock:

must be fun to move cows with out climbing moutains, fighting quakies, willows, fir and pine.....and were is the sage brush you miss that smell of sage after a rain...

Latest posts