• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Jump Starting COOL

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Jump Starting COOL

by Steve Cornett

If you support mandatory Country of Origin Labeling (COOL), the Cattlemen's Competitive Market Project (CCMP) wants to hear from you. They'd like you to contribute money or perhaps put a sign on your place. The message: "Not just any beef. USA-raised beef. Ask for it." CCMP is a joint effort of several cattle-oriented organizations that launched a publicity campaign in June aimed at getting consumers to put more pressure on beef marketers to deliver beef grown in the USA.

Chance Carter, executive director of the Organization for Competitive Markets, said the program is intended to give producers a vehicle for expressing their support for mandatory COOL and to jump start the process, which has floundered in Congress. Carter says the program may someday include a labeling program marketers can use.

A focal point of the program will be to correct misconceptions among consumers that the USDA grade stamp implies U.S. origin for beef. "Most people, even most producers," Carter says, "think that stamp means the beef comes from the USA." COOL supporters believe that is why there is not more consumer pressure for labeling.

For more information, call (817) 789-3009, or visit www.competitivemarkets.com.

Thanks for the info. The husband said he wanted to put a sign on our land next to a busy highway. Now we know who to contact.

Yep just tell US consumers USDA doesn't mean safe beef. That will help lots as they switch to USDA inspected chicken and pork.

Jason said:
Yep just tell US consumers USDA doesn't mean safe beef. That will help lots as they switch to USDA inspected chicken and pork.

Jason- Nothing in their promotion says anything about the beef not being safe-- just that the USDA label does not guarantee a US product as USDA and the packers try to pass it off as... Sounds like Canadians are scared to have their product labeled "product of Canada" on the meat shelves--Been riding the old USA shirtails just too long EH?

The only problem with labeling as proposed was segregation and unfair additional costs that Canadian beef would be subject to.

If you were to check back many years ago pre BSE I said Canada was going to advance past the US in markets where quality was demanded. Looks like BSE has hastened that route.

It might even be preferable in the US to have a product of Canada label seeing how the USDA label is being considered a detriment.

Jason said:
The only problem with labeling as proposed was segregation and unfair additional costs that Canadian beef would be subject to.

If you were to check back many years ago pre BSE I said Canada was going to advance past the US in markets where quality was demanded. Looks like BSE has hastened that route.

It might even be preferable in the US to have a product of Canada label seeing how the USDA label is being considered a detriment.

Go for it!!! Oh I forgot- you can't because USDA and the US owned multinational packers won't allow it...Canada sold their souls to the US when they signed onto NAFTA.....

OT: "Nothing in their promotion says anything about the beef not being safe--"

I thought R-CULT said "USDA has not gone far enough to assure the safety or our beef".

I thought R-CULT said "USDA does not care about food safety".

I thought R-CULT said "the packers don't care about food safety, they only care about the money".

Cattlemen's Competitive Marketing Project must disagree with the R-CULT pied pipers.

U.S. BEEF, ASK FOR IT?????

But DON"T BURDEN US WITH PROVING THE ORIGINATION.

How About 95% OF THE LABELED BEEF IS U.S. BEEF WHETHER YOU ASK FOR IT OR NOT, THAT'S PROBABLY WHAT YOU'LL GET!

"M"COOL = SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE!

~SH~

SH...But DON"T BURDEN US WITH PROVING THE ORIGINATION

Scott the head man of WalMart's meat division, Bruce Peterson, says they sell only American beef. How can he make a statement like that when you say they cannot prove where it originated?

Tommy: "Scott the head man of WalMart's meat division, Bruce Peterson, says they sell only American beef. How can he make a statement like that when you say they cannot prove where it originated?"

First, I never heard Walmart make that claim.

Second, without an enforceable traceback system, how could anyone prove otherwise?

Looks like a good solution to the "M"COOL problem Tommy. Since "M"COOL proponents didn't want to be burdened with proving origination, every retail outlet could just claim they were serving U.S. beef and nobody could prove otherwise.

Once again, the brilliance of R-CULT!

Like I said, "symbolism over substance".

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Tommy: "Scott the head man of WalMart's meat division, Bruce Peterson, says they sell only American beef. How can he make a statement like that when you say they cannot prove where it originated?"

First, I never heard Walmart make that claim.

Second, without an enforceable traceback system, how could anyone prove otherwise?

Looks like a good solution to the "M"COOL problem Tommy. Since "M"COOL proponents didn't want to be burdened with proving origination, every retail outlet could just claim they were serving U.S. beef and nobody could prove otherwise.

Once again, the brilliance of R-CULT!

Like I said, "symbolism over substance".

~SH~

SH,only some one like you or better put a packer advocate would think along those lines.Why would a retailer pawn off south american beef as "USA"when M cool is enacted?There will be hefty fines for violations ,and if we ever get USDA to do their job,inspections.............good luck

Hayseed: "Why would a retailer pawn off south american beef as "USA"when M cool is enacted?"

BECAUSE YOUR FLAWED LAW WOULD ALLOW THEM TO!

Because "M"COOL, as written, is unenforceable.

No way to prove origination because "M"ID was prohibited from "M"COOL. The idiots who wrote the law made it unenforceable.

Funny how packer blaming hypocrites like you want to force packers to label beef as to it's county of origin but then left them with unenforceable loopholes that you could drive a truck through.

Hayseed: "There will be hefty fines for violations ,and if we ever get USDA to do their job,inspections.............good luck"

BEFORE YOU CAN LEVY HEFTY FINES FOR VIOLATIONS, YOU HAVE TO PROVE A VIOLATION.

BEFORE YOU CAN PROVE A VIOLATION, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN ENFORCEABLE TRACEBACK SYSTEM.

"M"COOL PROHIBITED "M"ID!

I realize that's a lot for you to absorb at one time!

Let me summarize it for you Hayseed, "M"COOL AS WRITTEN IS UNENFORCEABLE" and that's one reason why it's a flawed law.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Hayseed: "Why would a retailer pawn off south american beef as "USA"when M cool is enacted?"

BECAUSE YOUR FLAWED LAW WOULD ALLOW THEM TO!

Because "M"COOL, as written, is unenforceable.

No way to prove origination because "M"ID was prohibited from "M"COOL. The idiots who wrote the law made it unenforceable.

Funny how packer blaming hypocrites like you want to force packers to label beef as to it's county of origin but then left them with unenforceable loopholes that you could drive a truck through.

Hayseed: "There will be hefty fines for violations ,and if we ever get USDA to do their job,inspections.............good luck"

BEFORE YOU CAN LEVY HEFTY FINES FOR VIOLATIONS, YOU HAVE TO PROVE A VIOLATION.

BEFORE YOU CAN PROVE A VIOLATION, YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN ENFORCEABLE TRACEBACK SYSTEM.

"M"COOL PROHIBITED "M"ID!

I realize that's a lot for you to absorb at one time!

Let me summarize it for you Hayseed, "M"COOL AS WRITTEN IS UNENFORCEABLE" and that's one reason why it's a flawed law.

~SH~

Well hope fully retailers wont have your out look,I guess using your theory,every one would be breaking the law because its unenforceable,good theory till they catch you,and that's the reason most will comply,"risk aint worth the cost"...............good luck

Hayseed: "Well hope fully retailers wont have your out look,..."

You are the packer blamer who doesn't trust packers. Why would you trust the packers to label beef correctly with an unenforceable law if you accuse them of market manipulation?

See what a hypocrite you are?

Hayseed: "I guess using your theory,every one would be breaking the law because its unenforceable,good theory till they catch you,and that's the reason most will comply,"risk aint worth the cost"

HOW CAN THEY CATCH YOU IF THE LAW IS UNENFORCEABLE YOU DIPSTICK????

You did it again!

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Hayseed: "Well hope fully retailers wont have your out look,..."

You are the packer blamer who doesn't trust packers. Why would you trust the packers to label beef correctly with an unenforceable law if you accuse them of market manipulation?

See what a hypocrite you are?

Hayseed: "I guess using your theory,every one would be breaking the law because its unenforceable,good theory till they catch you,and that's the reason most will comply,"risk aint worth the cost"

HOW CAN THEY CATCH YOU IF THE LAW IS UNENFORCEABLE YOU DIPSTICK????

You did it again!

~SH~

Prove the law is unenforceable,lots of gray in that theory,and I still say with stiff penalties,retailers will comply, "risk not worth the cost" am I to understand you would willing break the law,because you thought it unenforceable?................good luck

Hayseed: "Prove the law is unenforceable,lots of gray in that theory,......"

Prove that it is unenforceable?????

"M"ID WAS PROHIBITED FROM "M"COOL HAYSEED!

USDA said "M"COOL was unenforceable AS WRITTEN!

USDA is the enforcement agency.

WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED?

R-CULT SANG THE PRAISES OF WATERED DOWN ENFORCEMENT SO AS NOT TO BURDEN PRODUCERS WITH A TRACEBACK SYTEM!

Hayseed: "and I still say with stiff penalties,retailers will comply, "risk not worth the cost" am I to understand you would willing break the law,because you thought it unenforceable?"

Producer compliance is not the issue here Hayseed, packer compliance is.

Why would you trust the packers to label beef correctly with an unenforceable law if you accuse them of market manipulation?

Why not answer that question?

~SH~

Tommy said:
SH...But DON"T BURDEN US WITH PROVING THE ORIGINATION

Scott the head man of WalMart's meat division, Bruce Peterson, says they sell only American beef. How can he make a statement like that when you say they cannot prove where it originated?

Tommy, while I don't recall what you have said about WalMart in the past on this site, there are many R-CALF proponents who have indicated they neither approve, nor trust WalMart.........so will all the Walmart "haters" believe they are honest about using only USA beef and jump on their bandwagon?

MRJ

I have a question?

If I was a Us producer of feeders, and my animals are not tracked back to origin, what stops me from buying Canadian cattle, keeping them at my place for a few months, putting an OT brand on them, and then selling them as good ole US raised beef?

Hey, from all the talk on here, those US raised animals are going to be worth a premieum, cause consumers are going to be asking for them. Buy in Canada with the dollar exchange, pawn them off as US born and raised. Hell, I'm going to be in the money, might just buy a US ranch to get it done.

Wake-up you few who are protectionists, it won't mean anything.

If I was Laura's Lean and could track the individual ID of a Canadian animal, shipped down to the US in a box, I would be way further ahead than you that promote just COOL.

My customers would be provided with a product that was managed a specific way, safety standards that are standard, audited, and marketed that way.

If you want to grab a couple cents premium, wake up and get involved with a program voluntarily that promotes what you are selling. Quit selling on average and trying to compete on average!

Murgen said:
I have a question?

If I was a Us producer of feeders, and my animals are not tracked back to origin, what stops me from buying Canadian cattle, keeping them at my place for a few months, putting an OT brand on them, and then selling them as good ole US raised beef?

Hey, from all the talk on here, those US raised animals are going to be worth a premieum, cause consumers are going to be asking for them. Buy in Canada with the dollar exchange, pawn them off as US born and raised. Hell, I'm going to be in the money, might just buy a US ranch to get it done.

Wake-up you few who are protectionists, it won't mean anything.

If I was Laura's Lean and could track the individual ID of a Canadian animal, shipped down to the US in a box, I would be way further ahead than you that promote just COOL.

My customers would be provided with a product that was managed a specific way, safety standards that are standard, audited, and marketed that way.

If you want to grab a couple cents premium, wake up and get involved with a program voluntarily that promotes what you are selling. Quit selling on average and trying to compete on average!

That CAN and MX hot brand now keep that from happening--already being used by USDA to verify the affidavits on cattle going into the BEV program.........

That CAN and MX hot brand now keep that from happening--already being used by USDA to verify the affidavits on cattle going into the BEV program

I didn't know that the US was now labeling the finished product as such?

I guess that does away with your agrument of us Canadians not being proud of our product and not labelling it Canadian.

How many times does the US get an oppurtunity to realize it's a Canadian animal now?

"PLEASE LABEL IT AS SUCH, WE WOULD LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW YOU OUR PRODUCT IS SUPERIOR"

Heck, I guess it also does away with the need to label 6% of your beef, for COOL.

I always wonder about a system that wants to label 6% of the meat, at 100% of the cost!

Murgen said:
That CAN and MX hot brand now keep that from happening--already being used by USDA to verify the affidavits on cattle going into the BEV program

I didn't know that the US was now labeling the finished product as such?

I guess that does away with your agrument of us Canadians not being proud of our product and not labelling it Canadian.

How many times does the US get an oppurtunity to realize it's a Canadian animal now?

"PLEASE LABEL IT AS SUCH, WE WOULD LIKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW YOU OUR PRODUCT IS SUPERIOR"

Heck, I guess it also does away with the need to label 6% of your beef, for COOL.

I always wonder about a system that wants to label 6% of the meat, at 100% of the cost!

This program was set up for our export customer countries that were demanding verification it was US beef- and beef that met certain other BSE specs (UTM, have to be slaughtered in plants that don't slaughter OTM's, have to be in plants that don't handle Canadian product, etc).

USDA hasn't been very public with the program-Don't seem to want too many to know about it- I think 1. it would look bad if customer countries were requesting and they were assisting giving US verified beef while they were trying to open the border and feeding the Canadian product to the US consumer :???: 2. it looks bad when you are supplying foreign countries US verified beef, but won't do the same for your domestic customer....

Latest posts