• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kelpie's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flyingS

Reaction score
Anyone have Kelpie puppies. I wanted to wait and breed my good Border Collie female, but I lost a dog yesterday to a heat stroke. My good female is getting old and I have had a really tough time catching her in heat. I would like to find a red kelpie, not sure if I want a female or a male. I am in Nebraska and do not want to spend an arm and a leg on shipping one.

flyingS said:
Anyone have Kelpie puppies. I wanted to wait and breed my good Border Collie female, but I lost a dog yesterday to a heat stroke. My good female is getting old and I have had a really tough time catching her in heat. I would like to find a red kelpie, not sure if I want a female or a male. I am in Nebraska and do not want to spend an arm and a leg on shipping one.

What was your dog doing that died of heat stroke?

**I had replied because I knew of someone with Kelpies. After I found out what happened to Flying S's dog, I edited this because I have no intention of helping him find another.

She was sitting in a lawn chair watching the kids run through the sprinkler and she just tipped over! Sorry, I couldn't resist. She overheated while we were moving a set of cows. I didn't get her to water or the vet soon enough.

There isn't a lot you can do about it FH. She was a darn good dog and she was doing her job. My dogs don't work with me, I give them a job to do and I leave them do it. I can't even see my dogs most of the time. I don't plan on changing that, it would defeat the purpose of owning a working dog. It's a terrible death honestly, if you want to know.

flyingS said:
There isn't a lot you can do about it FH. She was a darn good dog and she was doing her job. My dogs don't work with me, I give them a job to do and I leave them do it. I can't even see my dogs most of the time. I don't plan on changing that, it would defeat the purpose of owning a working dog. It's a terrible death honestly, if you want to know.

Animals are victims of their owners. She died working her heart out for you. Let me rephrase that, she gave her life helping you.
Don't think for a moment we haven't worked cattle when it's hot, but we've never lost a dog doing it. We prepared for it, got started at sun up and even carried water for them, when we were where there wasn't any. A dog to us is a friend and a helper, not a slave.

I love cattle as much as anyone, but there isn't a cow alive that is worth losing a good dog or injuring a good horse over. FWIW

FH, lets get something straight. You know nothing of me, while I realize you feel you are all knowing and a person of superior knowledge and ability, you have no right to judge me. I posted on here knowing I will need a replacement at sometime. Not to be criticized and judged by someone whom I have never met. The fact that my dog was left to do a job and would stay and work her self to death says quite a little about the relationship I had with her. How many friends do you have that would risk their well being to get the job done. I wasn't standing over her making her work, she worked because she wanted to not because I made her. She and my old dog were bringing cattle while I finished gathering the pasture. She could have quit and hunted water, but she didn't because she wanted to please me. Not because I made her, because I was good to her. There was water at the bottom of the hill. You can say whatever you would like, that is a bond lots of people never gain or experience. If you think for one minute I had a blatant disregard for that dogs well being you are sadly mistaken. Not only did I lose one hell of a dog my kids lost a pet and I had to explain to 3 little ones what happened to her. Had I known the outcome I would have just left her home.
As far as my response to your question as to what happened to her, you ask a stupid question you got a stupid answer. It wasn't hard to see what you were getting at. I am sure you have never had something misfortunate happen to an animal on your outfit. Especially something that you may have prevented had you know that it was going to happen. Take your criticism and your arrogance and shove it. I don't know who you think you are, but I won't take it.

I've called my dogs off cattle when I knew they were getting too hot. Lots.

Having admitted that you get too busy to watch your helpers, I doubt you would ever get a dog from me. I realize that everyone makes mistakes but that was a big one.

I do feel sorry for your kids though.

Did you have enough to drink?

Sure some dogs will give their life for you and some people would give their life for their dogs.

Your flip answer started things off wrong as many of us are dog lovers here. Sure accidents can happen and dogs over heat quickly. when it's hot i leave the dogs at home or keep close tabs on them so they can get water and shade it they need it.
I'm sure you feel bad about losing her but you almost made her sound disposable. :(

Big Muddy I don't understand how you might think I thought she was disposable. I have been wanting a pup for sometime but haven't been able to catch my old female. When I lost the young dog, it is more than obvious that I am out of time to get a pup and I need the dog. It is a simple as I lost her and however much I will miss her it doesn't change the fact that I need to start to work on a replacement. If you have ever trained a good dog that gathers and works on their own without supervision you know it doesn't happen over night. There was nothing disposable about the female, I have had her for 5 or 6 yrs, I lose track of time. It does me no good to wine to a bunch of strangers about what a loss she was, none of you care anyway. I am in need of a good dog and it is going to take time to find one, let it mature, train it, then there is no guarantee that it will turn out after all that time. Pretty simple and straight forward. Maybe I should have written a sob story and sugar coated it and then posted looking for a replacement at a later time. I have had enough dogs to realize the impact of a good one as well as the time it takes to replace one. I am out of time, she was the replacement. She was not abused, nor did I neglect to water her. If I thought she was disposable I would have shot her and finished moving my cows instead of hauling her 35 miles to the vet after hours and spending a couple hundred bucks to have her die at the clinic anyway as well as not getting my cows moved. The old dog was fine and finished bringing the pairs through the gate while the young dog cooled of and got a drink.

I didn't post to be criticised and it was obvious that it was coming from FH's question. I should have known better than to look for help on here anyway. It's amazing how people will draw conclusions and intentionally kick someone while they are down. No wonder this country is in the shape it is in, you normally wouldn't expect that from ranch people.

flyingS said:
I didn't post to be criticised and it was obvious that it was coming from FH's question. I should have known better than to look for help on here anyway. It's amazing how people will draw conclusions and intentionally kick someone while they are down. No wonder this country is in the shape it is in, you normally wouldn't expect that from ranch people.

Yep, we're all just a bunch of SOB's.

Maybe if you didn't come off as such an authorative expert on most topics you might gain more respect. You may be a handy son-of-a-gun but so are most of us on here or we wouldn't still be in business.

If you're looking for sympathy now it's in the dictionary.

If you don't want to be criticized, don't put your business out on the street for God and everybody to see.

There are some people who just shouldn't have dogs.

If you don't want to be criticized, don't put your business out on the street for God and everybody to see.

There are some people who just shouldn't have dogs.

It just amazes me how ALL KNOWING you guys all are. My dog wasn't working yesterday, but following my tractor while I was baling, and she over heated.
If you all spent as much time trying to help, as you do bad mouthing anyone that does anything different than you, it would sure make this a lot better site!
I have seen his dogs work. I have used his dogs. They do they're thing, and the rider does theirs. They aren't like a bunch of Healers that you have to watch every minute of the time. I would challenge anyone of you over bearing assholes to show as much compassion towards their animals as Flying S does, or for that matter do half the work as he and his dogs can do with livestock.
Once again, it just goes to show me that if some one corrects Faster Horses, her "little boy band" jumps all over them. Let her stand up for her own smart ass mouth once!!

Sorry about Babe, I kinda figured it was Mattie.

LazyWP said:
It just amazes me how ALL KNOWING you guys all are. My dog wasn't working yesterday, but following my tractor while I was baling, and she over heated.
If you all spent as much time trying to help, as you do bad mouthing anyone that does anything different than you, it would sure make this a lot better site!
I have seen his dogs work. I have used his dogs. They do they're thing, and the rider does theirs. They aren't like a bunch of Healers that you have to watch every minute of the time. I would challenge anyone of you over bearing assholes to show as much compassion towards their animals as Flying S does, or for that matter do half the work as he and his dogs can do with livestock.
Once again, it just goes to show me that if some one corrects Faster Horses, her "little boy band" jumps all over them. Let her stand up for her own smart ass mouth once!!

Sorry about Babe, I kinda figured it was Mattie.

Birds of a feather. :wink:

No one ever said I was a nice guy and you should know by now I will speak my mind.

As for FH, both she and her husband are better stockpeople than most. If you two weren't so set on the wild west image you might learn something from her. :wink:

WP-" Let her stand up for her own smart ass mouth once!!"

And you sir, not only jumped in to defend flying S, you had to resort to name calling. Show me where I was being a smart ass. I'd like to see it.

This might be what you are looking for, so I'll say it here:

You can't fix stupid.

Latest posts