• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Kelpie's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hopefully this will lighten the mood. I should just do as Spike Van Cleve would do, and "let sleeping, by God, dogs lie," but here goes. This story was posted back in 2007, so some of you will probably remember it.

When I was a kid, we had a family pet type of dog named Lassie. She was a Spitz, and always had her tail curled over the top of her back. I was about four when we got the dog, and when Lassie got to be about eleven or twelve, she started failing rapidly. Her hair was coming out in patches, and she had cancer of the nose. One morning after breakfast, Dad and I decided that we should go put poor old Lassie out of her misery. We tried to make our get-away as unnoticed as possible, but my younger sister caught sight of the .22 rifle we had with us. She queried, "Where are you guys going?" Always believing honesty to be the best policy, Dad came clean and responded, "We thought we'd better put poor old Lassie out of her misery."

My sister had never known a time when Lassie wasn't a part of our family. She is really a tender-hearted nice sort of person, but tried to put up a tough front. Her reaction and comment was, "Do you care if I bring my BB gun and take a crack at her?" Despite the solemnity of the occasion, we kind of had to smile as we told her that probably wouldn't be necessary.

No one ever judged FH's ability or her knowledge. I have never turned down a chance to gain knowledge. I have been fortune it enough to attend a Bud Williams stockmanship school, I have attended Curt Pate's class several times and know him well enough he calls me by name when he see's me. I have attended several of Dr. Noffsinger's stockmanship classes as well. I am pretty open minded, if FH would like to come down and put on a clinic she is welcome anytime, I would love to set back and learn something. I am not sure when the Sandhills became the wild west, I have no image to portray. You often will find me in a ball cap and lace work boots. I don't often wear a hat not even to ride. I do pack once in awhile, I like to hunt. I don't believe in bullshiting people so my life is pretty transparent. I don't believe in judging people until I know the facts, I dang sure try not to jump to conclusions. WP is a friend of mine and a darn good one. He knows that when he is right I will stick with him until the end, if he is wrong he is on his own. I expect nothing different from him.
I should have not been sarcastic, at the same time I don't appreciate the hidden insinuation. I find it hard to believe that you all have never had any misfortune in your lives. I guess for that you should be thankful.

Latest posts