• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

kid horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jigs

Reaction score
trying to find a good, sound , safe, cheap kid horse. But I hate to go through a horse trader.

any ideas???

A sound-safe-CHEAP-kids horse is an oxymoron. Good kids horses aren't for sale very often and definately aren't too cheap. Depends on the age and ability of the kid. Sometimes an old gelding who can't handle hard work any more is still sound enough for a kid to start on. We've got a heavy old mare that has had probably a dozen beginners start out on her. I get probably ten guys a year want me to find them one but not alot kicking around.

we want something she can feel comfortable with, and possibly use in 4H, but mainly just an "around the farm" horse.
I told her if she had a horse, she had to help with the cows.....she tried with the pony, but the cows just laughed at her trying to push them on a pony!

I got one...20 years old...not good for any kid over the age of 6....(to gentle)...he is a big horse....only good for use "around" the barn...not good for trailing any more...he has a touch of arthuritis (i butchered the spelling of that) in his right front.......he is only good for some kid who is truely "starting" out and needs to just sit and ride small times a day around a pen or small pasture. Anyway....he was my kid horse when i was 6.....hate to see him get older :( :(

Problem is, that is what everyone wants. And they aren't to be had. If you find one, they cost some money.

It's the law of supply and demand at work.

But I never feel bad when a good horse brings good money.

Good Luck! I love for kids to have good old horses and I'll keep my ears open. Our grandson rides one of our good 'ole boys. The horse is twenty and we call him 'Snickers.' (The name fits. :wink: )

But he was on the racetrack, has a tatoo. Was an awesome heeling horse in his day and now he loves his job as a kids horse. One thing about the older horses they do take a little more upkeep. But if they're good, they're worth it!!

Faster horses said:
Problem is, that is what everyone wants. And they aren't to be had. If you find one, they cost some money.

It's the law of supply and demand at work.

But I never feel bad when a good horse brings good money.

Good Luck! I love for kids to have good old horses and I'll keep my ears open. Our grandson rides one of our good 'ole boys. The horse is twenty and we call him 'Snickers.' (The name fits. :wink: )

But he was on the racetrack, has a tatoo. Was an awesome heeling horse in his day and now he loves his job as a kids horse. One thing about the older horses they do take a little more upkeep. But if they're good, they're worth it!!

that is so crazy!!!! my 20 year old kid horse is named snickers!!!

The reason I asked about what it would be used for...is if it's gonna be used for 4H..ask your extention agent if he knows anyone involved in 4H that maybe has a kid that's "outgrown" their horse. my daughters 14 and been ridin her horse now for 3 years. Abby was 20 when we bought her, best investment we've ever made. My daughter started out on an OLDDDD ropin horse..some 35 years old. when she felt confident enuff and wanted a faster horse we asked around, went to play days, asked 4H people...and in about a month ended up finding Abby, just so happens the lady that owned her lived just around the corner from us.She was willing to haul Abby 25 miles to 4H practice so Amanda could ride her to see if she liked her. Even thought she's 23 she's runnin low 18's in barrels, and 24's in poles. she's won 2 buckles on her.(And she'll work cows) That's not all that fast..but she's consistant, and has built a confidence in my daughter thats amazing. She's now starting a 5 year old on barrels.
I wish you luck in finding the right horse for your daughter. Around here a good kid horse starts at about 2000.00

That is crazy, TX TIBBS. And I was going to sell Snickers last summer. I had him sold for $1500, but our daughter threw a fit. I thought our grandson was ready to move up, but she says he can do anything he needs to on Snickers and she doesn't have to worry about it.

Old horses might cost a little, but they are still cheaper than broken bones.

I would caution those looking to buy an old horse to make sure of his physical condition. When our daughter was little, a good hearted guy gave her a 35-year old Welsh cross. Those horses live forever. It wasn't long, though, before the old pony was falling down. That is dangerous. So make sure the horse is capable of having kids ride him. If there is some arthritis, and there usually is, things like Legend, Adequan, etc. can do them A LOT OF GOOD. There are things out there that will sure make an old horse feel better.

YOu want to talk old horses... I have one that I got when I was 14 or 15. Doesn't have a molar in his head. All he eats is grain and alfalfla pellets. My youngest son thinks the world of him and feeds him twice a day. Just a pile of bones. But he feels good. All the vets know him and ask about him. Wanted one to put him down and she wouldn't do it....

Latest posts