• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Koreans SHUN US Beef!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Maxine- How come the NCBA's "Them thar dum furriner folk can et what we give them- and like it" policy isn't working in Korea :???: :wink: :lol: :( :p

Food Makers Shun American Beef

By Jane Han

Staff Reporter

The Korea Times - South Korea

05-07-2008

One of the biggest fears among mad cow scaremongers is their unwitting consumption of U.S. beef from processed food. But more major food distributors are promoting themselves as ``non-American meat sellers'' to prevent the loss of such cautious consumers.

``We have no plans to make patties out of U.S. beef during this time when public fear over U.S beef safety is so high,'' said Chung Sung-hoon, a spokesman of Lotteria, the nation's largest fast food franchise operating 740 chains. The burger joint claims it currently uses ``hanwoo'' (Korea's homebred cattle) and Australian beef.

Popular steak eatery Outback Steakhouse said it will also continue using imports from Australia to avoid building consumer fears.

The local sentiment against importing American cuts has significantly deteriorated over the past week, as the government announced it will let in U.S. bone-in beef older than 30 months, which have a higher risk of contracting mad cow disease.

Although inspected beef products will reach consumers by this month, domestic retailers and food businesses seem to be taking a passive stance in selling the controversial meat.

Major food suppliers like Shinsegae Food, CJ Fresnway and Our Home, which provide catering services for cafeterias in schools, hospitals and companies, said they won't switch over to U.S. beef until proper safety precautions are taken by the government.

``It won't be smart to make a hasty decision now because it can put the entire corporate image at stake,'' said a Shinsegae Food official. ``Besides, American imports are currently more expensive than those from Australia.''

He explained that U.S. cattle are fed grain, which is currently seeing soaring prices worldwide, so American beef products prices are consequently less competitive than those from Australia.

Domestic discount chains, including E-Mart and Lotte Mart, also continue to maintain a passive stance due to the growing pressure.

``Even those who want to sell are keeping a low profile because it may lead to unwanted attention,'' said a Lotte Mart official.

According to the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries earlier this week, Seoul will apply the new import sanitation rules on May 15, subsequently starting sales of U.S. beef in the domestic market.

koreatimes.co.kr

Lee Says Ban on American Beef Possible

US Rules Out Renegotiating Beef Deal

By Kim Yon-se

Staff Reporter

The Korea Times

05-07-2008

President Lee Myung-bak said Wednesday that the government will stop imports of American beef if public health is threatened.

He made the statement Wednesday during his visit to the southwestern port city of Gunsan for a ground-breaking ceremony of the second Hyunidai Heavy Industries shipyard.

Agriculture Minister Chung Woon-chun also said South Korea would suspend imports of American beef if mad cow case is reported in the United States.

Oldtimer said:
Agriculture Minister Chung Woon-chun also said South Korea would suspend imports of American beef if mad cow case is reported in the United States.
[/quote]

:? :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2: :arrow: :disagree:

it aint gonna happen. bse will not be found under this administration, and probably not the next, and it ain't because it's not here. all these downers laying around everywhere. no bse typical OR ATYPICAL ???

right...

Ain't this just great. Really puts US beef in a good light.

How many times is the NBCA/USDA going to have to be proved wrong before they finally get it?

Working for the cattleman my ......... :mad:

Poor, self-pitying Sandhusker.....no matter how many times you say NCBA is to blame for all ills of US cattle producers just does not make it true!

How do you know it is not people like yourself with a full time job, not really dependent on your cattle for your living, who are basically just investors in the cattle business, leaving others to do the physical day to day management and work of the cattle business that is the REAL cause of problems for the cattle industry?

BTW, OT, how do you know those stories are anything other than local political posturing? I see more about "scaremongers" and competitive prices for Australian beef, and even some anti-US trade sentiment than about anything else in that story.

Add to all that the FACT that US beef sales in Korea don't even begin until May 15 according to that story!

Another factor is that there are many "local delicacies" served in Korean markets such as dog meat, for one. I'll have to check with my son-in-law as I don't recall all the things he sampled while stationed there a few years ago.

There is not getting around the fact that we are rapidly catching up to pre BSE exports..........and that SCIENCE is ultimately the best trade guideline.

mrj

You don't get it, MRJ. People are not simply snubbing our product, they're demonstrating against it! Isn't that a great sales enhancer? Can you file that under that "NCBA Successes" file that you're keeping? "Customers are in the streets demonstrating against the safety of US beef". Wonderful! Maybe NCBA help to spread that same attitude all over the world! :roll: :mad:

They're doing it because of the idiotic, arrogant policy the NCBA/USDA has of demanding our customers buy our product as we want to sell it, not as they want to buy it! A violation of the first rule of business. You then highlight that arrogance with insulting our customers with that "eating dog" comment. The very policy you claim is "The best trade guideline" is the reason people are in the streets. How in the hell is it the best guideline when it results in lost sales and demonstrations? How blind to realilty can one get?

Maxine- Looks to be more than just a little political posturing....One of the Korean articles I saw the other day even stated there had been some public suicides to draw attention to it :shock: .....

Protesters rally in SKorea ahead of US beef imports
2 days ago

SEOUL (AFP) — Thousands of protesters rallied in the South Korean capital Friday to denounce the decision to resume US beef imports as the government struggled to dispel a growing scare over mad cow disease.

"Send mad cows to the Blue House!" crowds chanted at a Seoul city centre candlelit rally, referring to President Lee Myung-Bak's official residence.

Police estimated the crowd in Seoul at 10,000, and said rallies were also held in 10 other cities. No crowd estimates were available outside the capital.

"Let's protect our kids (from mad cows)," read one banner.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iiEVRYt8_JmrdBR161RU8q54q0lg

82 pct of S. Koreans want U.S. beef deal renegotiated
75.1 pct say U.S. beef is not safe and 80.8 pct do not trust gov't announcements on the issue

Eight out of ten Koreans think Korea should renegotiate the deal it has with the United States on opening the market to American beef, and 75.1 percent of Koreans think that American beef is "not safe." That according to a May 7 poll performed by Dongseo Research of one thousand Koreans over the age of 19 on "current issues in Korean society."

Some 82.2 percent of those surveyed said Korea needs to get a new deal with the United States on importing American beef, while only 14 percent said a new deal is not needed.

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/286645.html

But NCBA never has been very keen on transparency and giving folks information....NCBA ,like GW, arrogantly think that everyone in the world thinks like/or should think like Americans- and thats whats got us into such a hell of a mess with the world..... :( :mad:

Chief Judge David B. Sentelle seemed to agree with Creekstone's contention that the additional testing would not interfere with agency regulations governing the treatment of animals.

"All they want to do is create information," Sentelle said, noting that it's up to consumers to decide how to interpret the information.

OT, you don't know as much as you claim to!

NCBA's point is that people CAN now get beef "bred, born, raised, and slaughtered in the USA" if they choose to.

That is preferable to a government mandated, complex, flawed law affecting some small portion of imported beef that is sold at retail.

GW had only what MAY orMAY NOT have been flawed intelligence reports indicating an attack BY ISLAMIC EXTREMIST TERRORISTS on this country needing a response.

The nationality of those terrorists matters not. There was indication, and there were Islamic Terrorist supporters on radio stations claiming that control Iraq was a keystone for their Jihad against the WEstern world in general, starting with the USA. I applaud him for going after the jugular of that genuine threat to world peace! You, obviously, will continue to keep your head in the sand while others protect your right to attempt to harm our government with your foolish statements on this site regarding that Terrorist declared war on the USA.

Sandhusker, you mean those Koreans are doing something similar to what you are doing here, just more vocally and visibly, if they are all that visible among the multi-millions of people thronging those streets! And they truly are more ignorant of the facts re. US beef safety than are you, so it is easier to forgive them!

You persist in your lie that we insist others buy the product as we want to sell it.......the fact is, we insist the science says our product will not infect people with BSE! I believe that is true, and you insist it isn't.

Will you feed your children beef from an animal which shows symptoms of BSE, but which tests negative? THAT is the valid question re. BSE testing with currently approved tests.

mrj

MRJ, "Sandhusker, you mean those Koreans are doing something similar to what you are doing here, just more vocally and visibly, if they are all that visible among the multi-millions of people thronging those streets! And they truly are more ignorant of the facts re. US beef safety than are you, so it is easier to forgive them!"

I mean they're NOT BUYING UNTESTED US BEEF AND THEY'RE NOT GOING TO! Can you understand that?

You persist in your lie that we insist others buy the product as we want to sell it.......the fact is, we insist the science says our product will not infect people with BSE! I believe that is true, and you insist it isn't.

It doesn't matter what you or I think, it matters WHAT THE CUSTOMER THINKS! Saying we are demanding they buy our beef as we want to sell it is not a lie, it's the dang truth. How can it not be when we refuse to sell tested beef who are asking for it - instead we wave this sound science **** in their face and insist that they - the people holding the checkbook - are wrong?

Will you feed your children beef from an animal which shows symptoms of BSE, but which tests negative? THAT is the valid question re. BSE testing with currently approved tests.

That is the question? Sounds to me that you're saying BSE tests can't be trusted?

mrj said:
GW had only what MAY orMAY NOT have been flawed intelligence reports indicating an attack BY ISLAMIC EXTREMIST TERRORISTS on this country needing a response.

The nationality of those terrorists matters not. There was indication, and there were Islamic Terrorist supporters on radio stations claiming that control Iraq was a keystone for their Jihad against the WEstern world in general, starting with the USA. I applaud him for going after the jugular of that genuine threat to world peace! You, obviously, will continue to keep your head in the sand while others protect your right to attempt to harm our government with your foolish statements on this site regarding that Terrorist declared war on the USA
mrj

Aren't you saying that since you MAY or MAY NOT have a report indicating that you hav BSE in the USA that it should be needing a response. You have had TWO, grown in the US indications that BSE lives there. Dont you think you should be GOING AFTER THE JUGULAR OF THAT GENUINE THREAT TO THE WORLD ALSO!!!!! YOU ALSO SEEM TO HAVE YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND!!!!!

What do the packers have some of you on to keep the brain-washing procedure not fail?

gcreekrch, you are stretching unbelievably to make what I say about the President and Islamic Extremist attacks on the USA equate with the threat from BSE in the USA!

I have NEVER denied that there has been a cow (or even more than one) that tested BSE positive in the USA. I do recall that the testing agent in England who called that inconclusinve US test positive said it was a very slight and difficult to diagnose positive.

Have YOU ever admitted that the USA did have an extensive BSE testing program, designed to find BSE if there were so few as 6 (not certain of that number, but it was very low) cases existing in the nation; and that we tested hundreds of thousands of the cattle most likely to have BSE? Or that the protocols of that testing program included cutting the testing numbers after x number of cattle were tested with x number of positives found? Or that the CURRENT protocol for cattle being tested is as prescribed as the follow-up to the original high number of US cattle tested, and IS on track TO FIND any possible REMAINING cattle with BSE? That is all IN ADDITION to the SRM removal which the best available science indicates is adequate to protect consumers from BSE.

Personally, I wonder if there has EVER been a case of a human contracting BSE or any TSE by eating beef, even brain tissue. Has there been an incontrovertible cause and effect case verified yet? It seems logical and very likely to me that those are sporadic, naturally occuring failures somewhere within the system of animals, including humans, having a similar brain structure, muscles and nutrients. I don't discount the mineral theories some have posted about on this site, either.

Putting BSE in a more reasonable perspective; whatever the underlying causes, less than 150 or so human deaths even vaguely appearing to be from a BSE in the entire history of knowledge of BSE shows it to be very rare; while millions of people die EACH and EVERY year from smoking, cancers, and various communicable sexually transmitted diseases.

I don't have my head in the sand re. BSE. I simply don't buy into the idea sometimes expressed on this site, that it was introduced and is intentionally propagated and managed by the packers for their own profit and greed. Further, I believe science is the best solution, and at this point, the USA is doing as the best available science recommends for ending the problem of BSE in the world.

For the record, I've not been one of those pointing fingers of blame at Canada's BSE troubles, either.

mrj

Once again, MRJ, it doesn't matter what you think about BSE or what anybody's science says - it comes down to personal choice. That is what sells product. Taking the "science says" route might win you a purple ribbon at the science fair, but it doesn't sell product. People don't consider "sound science" when they buy their food, so to make your marketing stand on that is pure lunacy. It's stupid, and when you have people demonstrating against your science based product, you have been PROVEN WRONG.

If you're going to make science a requirement for product, why isn't that standard being applied evenly? Hormone free isn't based on science. Neither is "Natural" , or for that matter, CAB. You can't see the hypocracy? Open your dang eyes and you might see something.

Your group's hypocritical stand has been proven wrong and is costing US produces a hell of a lot of money in lost sales. Figure it out, it's not hard if you actually try.

Sandhusker said:
Once again, MRJ, it doesn't matter what you think about BSE or what anybody's science says - it comes down to personal choice. That is what sells product. ...snip...

sandhusker, i thought i might bring this to you and others attention. under the present agreement, the Korean people will have NO choice, even if many more mad cows are found in the USA ;

THE PEOPLE of Korea _should_ be mad about the importing of USA beef into their Country. can you believe these regulations? even IF a BSE case(s) are documented in the USA, the people of Korea still cannot suspend the importing of U.S. beef, NO matter how many more mad cows the USA finds, until a thorough epidemiological investigation is finished. please remember, it took over a year and literally an act of congress to confirm the atypical mad cow in Texas before they finally finish that epidemiological investigation, and even after all that, the Koreans still cannot ban USA beef, until the OIE recognizes an adverse change in the classification of the U.S. BSE status. Considering the USDA and the OIE collaborated to seal the deal of the BSE MRR policy (the legal trading of all strains of TSE globally, just for commodities and futures sake, human health was not even considered), i doubt the OIE would ever change the BSE status for the USA, no matter how many more mad cows are found. It's all about money folks.

HELLO, we are talking years now, before the koreans could ever suspend USA beef due to a BSE case(s) ever being documented in the USA, due to these stupid regulations. This is nothing more than FORCE FEEDING KOREA USDA MAD COW BEEF $$$

Import Health Requirements for U.S. Beef and Beef Products

The following import health requirements shall be applied to beef and beef products exported from the United States of America ("United States") to the Republic of Korea

snip...

5. In the event (an) additional case(s) of BSE occur(s) in the United States, the U.S. government shall immediately conduct a thorough epidemiological investigation and inform the Korean government of the results of the investigation. The U.S. government will consult with the Korean government about the findings of the investigation. The Korean government will suspend the importation of beef and beef products if the additional case(s) results in the OIE recognizing an adverse change in the classification of the U.S. BSE status.

snip...

end...2008...TSS

A mad cow with BSE would have to drop from the sky onto the white house lawn and run around jerking, trembling, stumbling and staggering uncontrollably for months before anyone would every confirm a mad cow case with BSE, and then it would take an act of congress to confirm it, and President Lee Myung-bak knows this. it's all about commodities and futures $$$

the refusal by the USDA et al on NOT TESTING FOR MAD COW disease should be taken with great suspicion. why would GW et al not want to test for mad cow disease, why did they reduce testing to less than one percent after those two atypical BSE cases in Texas and Alabama (atypical BSE being more virulent to humans)?

they call it money, commodities, futures, they call it greed $$$

one only has to read how the USDA et al have legally blocked, blundered, botched, mismanaged, bungled, floundered, and flat out manipulated, the testing in the infamous june 2004 enhanced cover-up program for mad cow surveillance and testing. i mean, i am not really to hip on THE INDUSTRY, testing for mad cow disease, and what that program might consist of, but anything is better than nothing at all.

BSE BASE MAD COW TESTING TEXAS, USA, AND CANADA

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/

USDA VS KOREA typical or atypical BSe

Honorable people of Korea,

a kind and warm greetings from Texas.

snip... please see full text ;

http://usdavskorea.blogspot.com/

http://www.koreantopnews.com/story.php?title=USDA_VS_KOREA_typical_or_atypical_BSe

Attachment to Singeltary comment

January 28, 2007

Greetings APHIS,

I would kindly like to submit the following to ;

BSE; MRR; IMPORTATION OF LIVE BOVINES AND PRODUCTS DERIVED FROM BOVINES [Docket No. APHIS-2006-0041] RIN 0579-AC01

[Federal Register: January 9, 2007 (Volume 72, Number 5)] [Proposed Rules] [Page 1101-1129] From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov] [DOCID:fr09ja07-21]

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocumentDetail&o=09000064801f8152

BSE; MRR; IMPORTATION OF LIVE BOVINES AND PRODUCTS DERIVED FROM BOVINES [Docket No. APHIS-2006-0041] RIN 0579-AC01 Date: January 9, 2007 at 9:08 am PST

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocumentDetail&o=09000064801f3412

TSS :help:

People of the country are getting a huge surprise about "science as promoted by the Bush Administration" now that Congress is beginning to hold oversight hearings on FDA/EPA/USDA/USCPA/etal-- that they did not do for years- with the Republican Congress just taking the Administrations word as gospel....And GW's administration refusing to release any info to the Congress/public citing Administrative Secrecy...

And in the several oversight hearings I've watched its shocking/enraging members of the House and Senate from both sides of the aisle- Repubs and Dems.... In every hearing its been almost the same scenerio- the Agency making policy on the science presented by the industry's scientists over that of their Agency scientists or independent studies...Putting Corporate Profiteering over consumer/public safety....

And evidence of scientists in the Agency that didn't support and refuse to echo the "Bush Corporate Profiteering Science" being last heard of being transferred to someplace like Alzada Mt....Kind of like the old J Edgar Hoover days of when you disagreed with J Edgar you spent the rest of your life in Butte America...... :roll: :wink: :lol:

rancher said:
What in the hell is wrong with Alzada? :D :D :D :D

That brung you out of your hole... :wink: :lol: Like many of the old FBI Agents said- they were hoping that J Edgar never learned that sending them to Butte was about like Heaven for most of them- with the mountains, hunting, fishing, skiing, etc.... :wink: :lol:

Hows your moisture situation ? My neighbor who is a lineman has been down there in that Baker country working on power lines for the past several weeks since the big storm- and it sounded like he had several weeks to go- and being slowed by the weather- when I talked to his wife this morning to plan his branding...

Flounder,
That's the part of Free Trade that never gets mentioned.

If we have another mad cow, the our beef will be on Korea's shelves for a while - until it rots and is not replaced by the retailers. The AMI/USDA/NCBA idiots seem to think that getting our beef into the country is the end, they aren't smart enough to realize that getting it into the Korean's HOMES is what counts. It's not going anywhere if the Korean citizens have doubts about it's safety, and the USDA and NCBA crowing about "sound science" isn't going to change anybody's minds.

Flipping morons.... :mad:

I don't know why they would even have any doubts about the safety of the meat, or testing, if it even private testing was available.

PHOENIX -- A Maricopa man has pleaded guilty in a case that involved bogus testing for mad cow disease.

Roland Emerson Farabee, 55, had a federal government contract to collect samples from high-risk animals and submit them to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for testing. He was also supposed to keep the carcasses in a freezer until the tests were done.

But Farabee delivered tests from healthy animals and didn't keep the carcasses. He and his company, Farm Fresh Meats, Inc., pleaded guilty this week to theft of government funds, wire fraud and mail fraud. The scam cost the government $390,000.

Farabee was paid $150 for each specimen he submitted.

Math - $390,000 / 150 = 2900 head. Shocked

hypocritexposer said:
I don't know why they would even have any doubts about the safety of the meat, or testing, if it even private testing was available.

PHOENIX -- A Maricopa man has pleaded guilty in a case that involved bogus testing for mad cow disease.

Roland Emerson Farabee, 55, had a federal government contract to collect samples from high-risk animals and submit them to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for testing. He was also supposed to keep the carcasses in a freezer until the tests were done.

But Farabee delivered tests from healthy animals and didn't keep the carcasses. He and his company, Farm Fresh Meats, Inc., pleaded guilty this week to theft of government funds, wire fraud and mail fraud. The scam cost the government $390,000.

That's old news and has nothing to do with this topic.

Sandhusker said:
hypocritexposer said:

That's old news and has nothing to do with this topic.

Darn Newbies--He must have missed the articles about the Albertans that were buying up healthy cows for almost nothing- then getting a vet to declare them 4D- killing and testing them- and all profitting from the government test payment..... :???:

Were those Canadian cows the ones that were killed and did not hit the food chain.

the US could have taken lessons from that program.

Latest posts