• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Land Value

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MillIron said:
I've been lurking here briefly, and have really hesitated to post, but given as this topic has come up, I'll go ahead. As a newbie here, I hope I'm not asking a question that's been asked a million times before, or that's irritating everyone.

Here's the deal. I come from a family that had a place decades ago. It was sold when my grandfather died, and my father was a teen. My father worked at something in town his whole life, but always had an interest in what he started out doing. Just before he died, we were getting set to try to buy a small place. His early death sort of took care of that.

For the past ten years I've worked at building up some cattle, and hoped to eventually buy a place. If I break even and don't starve, that'd be fine. It's what I've always wanted to do. I only have about 50 heard, and I'm working a town job that some would classify as a "good job", although it's one I don't care anything about, as all I've ever wanted to do was raise cattle.

In this past ten years land prices have gone up and up. In order to buy a 250 cow place, I'd have to be a millionaire now. I run my cattle on a relatives place, but I'm capped out at 50.

I suppose I'd continue to do this, and contiue to hope, no matter what. But I'd like to try to ranch full time. I'm in a spot where I can't see my way to that. Anyone have any advice? If the advice is "give up", I'm afraid I've given myself that advice a zillion times, and won't head it, although just knowing it's hopeless may be a bit of an advance of sorts.

check this out

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=&SearchURL=%3fMode%3d0%26Page%3d1%26vs%3d1%26rlt%3d%26cp%3d%26pt%3d118%26mp%3d0-0-0%26mrt%3d-1-0-0%26Beds%3d0-0%26Baths%3d0-0%26f%3d%26ft%3dall%26o%3dA%26of%3d1%26ps%3d10%26ptgid%3d1%26aid%3d1883%252c1884%26MapURL%3d%253fAreaID%253d1049&Mode=0&PropertyID=3732684

mp.freelance said:
frenchie said:
Northern Rancher said:
Go north young men.

Heck of an good idea.. :)

I'd be careful what you wish for!

Truly.

Part of the problem here is that the price of land has been driven up by people who sold something elsewhere, and then moved in and drove up the price of land. When I started looking, things were distantly in sight, now they're very much higher.

We've had some articles on ranchers from our neighbor to the south who sell at high prices around the big cities there, complain, and then come up here and buy one. I've always sort of resented that, even though it doesn't say much for me, but I'm kind of inclined not to visit that misfortune on my neighbors to the far north. But maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly.

Besides, blasting my wife out of this state for any other locality would be a monumental chore, and probably end in divorce.

MillIron said:
. I've always sort of resented that, even though it doesn't say much for me, but I'm kind of inclined not to visit that misfortune on my neighbors to the far north. But maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly.

Well I respect that...However its not an uncommon thing for some people to have issues with newcomers...Even if some are only from 30 miles away :lol:

I look at it this way If it was up for sale anyone of them could of bought it.

NR,

Didnt you have a R-calfer that bought ranch land up there and then disappeared one night :wink: :shock: :???: :wink: ?

He's being raised by wolves even as we speak-we get the odd Albertan move east to raise hell and put a block under it but they usually weed out pretty quick lol.

Northern Rancher said:
He's being raised by wolves even as we speak-we get the odd Albertan move east to raise hell and put a block under it but they usually weed out pretty quick lol.
The lack of trees and large amount of grasshoppers sendin us runnin back to Alta. :shock: :lol:

I notice no one's posted Sandhills prices.

The most recent land of any size that sold around here was about 1500 acres for $350 (which was higher than the norm of $250 or so because it was an auction and two well-off neighbors both wanted it badly)
That 1500 acres might run 120 pairs with careful management and fencing. But 75 would be a safer bet. (It's only summer pasture for the guy that bought it)

So it seems there isn't a place we all are from where land is declining in value.

One question to consider, what would happen if for whatever reason calves went up 50% and grain went up the same amount?

Mrs.Greg said:
28,000 a quarter isn't a whole lot is it?Did they sell it that low because one buyer bought it or is that the going rate there?
It sure is a lot when you have to buy 28 quarters at once!
Okay a working cowboy makes about $1200 a month. A horse trainer with little capital makes about the same. LOL I dont see any ranches in my future. Well not that I will own.
Plus thats only to buy the land. Then you have to stock it.

Jason said:
So it seems there isn't a place we all are from where land is declining in value.

One question to consider, what would happen if for whatever reason calves went up 50% and grain went up the same amount?

I dont think it would make much difference in Alberta.
Here its Hutterites biding against movie stars and oil men. The prices of land really dont seem to have anything to do with what that land can produce as far as agriculture goes.

RoperAB said:
Jason said:

I dont think it would make much difference in Alberta.
Here its Hutterites biding against movie stars and oil men. The prices of land really dont seem to have anything to do with what that land can produce as far as agriculture goes.

How can the Hutterites aford to do that?

i know land in our parts are $2000 on up. I have seen pasture land go that high also. Its kind of sad, yet those who have it and bought it back when it was reasonable are sitting pretty!

We have Hutterites around here also. For those who dont know, they are farmers/ranchers that live in a compound so to speak. They dont believe in tv or radio, yet have the best equipment money can buy. they make make everything they need from clothing to brooms, bake all their goods, butcher their meat, grind their feed, raise hogs, cattle, chickens, turkeys, just about everything...basically are almost self sufficient. They are smart people. They make ALOT of money.....thats how they can afford it. I really dont think they pay each other, all the $ pretty much stays in the colony......They make some mighty fine wine and smoke some mean turkeys and chickens.....

Hutterites are quite entrepreneurial as well. Around here they saw and sell lumber, they manufacture and deliver sheds and small buildings, and do custom farming as well. If there is a dollar in it, they will do it and do it well.

Southdakotahunter said:
i know land in our parts are $2000 on up. I have seen pasture land go that high also. Its kind of sad, yet those who have it and bought it back when it was reasonable are sitting pretty!

We have Hutterites around here also. For those who dont know, they are farmers/ranchers that live in a compound so to speak. They dont believe in tv or radio, yet have the best equipment money can buy. they make make everything they need from clothing to brooms, bake all their goods, butcher their meat, grind their feed, raise hogs, cattle, chickens, turkeys, just about everything...basically are almost self sufficient. They are smart people. They make ALOT of money.....thats how they can afford it. I really dont think they pay each other, all the $ pretty much stays in the colony......They make some mighty fine wine and smoke some mean turkeys and chickens.....

To bad their not cuban's.You know them Cuban's make a damn fine cigar...

Manitoba_Rancher said:
bet you had to hang a good canadian steak around his neck to get the wolves to take him... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You going to have to let me in on how you convince a wolf to eat a steak laying on so much bullshit, MR.....:D :lol:

RoperAB said:
Mrs.Greg said:
28,000 a quarter isn't a whole lot is it?Did they sell it that low because one buyer bought it or is that the going rate there?
It sure is a lot when you have to buy 28 quarters at once!
Okay a working cowboy makes about $1200 a month. A horse trainer with little capital makes about the same. LOL I dont see any ranches in my future. Well not that I will own.
Plus thats only to buy the land. Then you have to stock it.
Yes your right about buying that large amount of land,its alot of money BUT have you seen any land in Alberta that you can buy a quarter for $28,000?20 years ago Greg and I bought a half section of land on the Battle River for around that amount,a year ago a city boy came in bought a quarter of land right beside us,same kind of land,native prairie grass and payed a thousand an acre.Put a huge Gate up and sign ..no tresspassing! See the hutterites and rich city boys that want some recreation land come in and pay big money and guys like you that want thier own piece of land can't think of competing...SAD but thats whats happening here anyway!

Latest posts