• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Last American Cowboys.......?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've be reading posts on here for a few years but this is my first post. Faster Horses said I hope city people are watching ..well I can't really be called "city" but I don't work with cattle & I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. My husband & I work for the largest Standardbred Horse breeding farm in the US & have also worked on Thoroughbred farms in KY & FL. I am really enjoying this show. My husband is the Foaling Manager here & foals out over 400 mares a year. It's interesting to see the differences in foaling & calving procedures. As for the kids not getting fired on the Galt Ranch for not feeding horses for two days....we would be fired on the spot, of course we are in the business of raising racehorses but he is a really forgiving man!
I hope Mr. Stucky & everyone involved is okay that was a really scary looking wreck.

Yes Welcome Tinac.....would be very interestin to have someone here posting pictures of a horse operation. Yes lots of us have horses...but right off hand I can't think of anyone here that's exclusively horses.

That guy on the Galt ranch said those kids were earning $25 a day. When I was in high school I believe I'd of told Mr. Galt to shove that straight up his ***. Who the hell works for $25 a day now days even if your in high school? Not sticking up for those kids because their work ethic was obviously trash.....I'd of made them eat those eggs they were throwing!

Pretty Cool show as far as TV shows go. Hughes seem like a typical ranch where the son feels he can never measure up to his father's standards. So instead of drinking or pissing it away. Scott over compensates in the work department. That way he avoids confrontation or having to deal with his own insecurities. He just punishes his own family in the process.

I do enjoy how they get the point across that this business gets into the our blood. With the current economic times I too have had to do some soul searching lately. I have come to the conclusion that I am either a nut or just plain stupid. Because every time I come up with same answer. "It is all about the ranch"

The one thing that has bothered me durin this whole series. Is Scott saying over and over that he's a horrible communicator. He's not a bad communicator at all when he takes the time to talk to his wife...or kids. At least from what I've seen. But....my deal is....if he thinks he's so lackin in that department. Why doesn't he take some time to make improvements in that area?
I've looked at their website. They aren't "just ranchers" they also have a hunting outfit....fitted out with a lodge cabin for hunters to stay in..really nice lookin. Why not take a little time off durin that time when he'd be guiding hunters....and take some self improvement classes that deal with communicating.
I think the biggest hurdle for him as a rancher won't be his dad...or anything pertaining to every day ranch life.....it's gonna be communicating with his wife. She's a city girl...but she's willing to learn. He needs to grab onto that and teach her. At every opportunity he can. And be nice about it instead of when she askes a question......makin her feel stupid for asking it. Or her alway bein so afraid she's gonna screw up. Everyone screws up....but you get past that. I felt so sorry for her in the episode where she was sooooo worried that she'd left a gate open. Not that that wouldn't have caused major upheavel in the days work....but that she was so relieved that she hadn't and when she said...."I'da been in sooooo much trouble"
Round here when someone screws up....we laugh it off....and regroup and go at it again...and hope we learn from our mistakes.

(altho I realize that some mistakes could be real serious..specially if someone got hurt, but until someone knows the job...and has had some experience doin it...ya don't turn em loose by their selves with it)

I agree, Lilly. Attitude is everything. Scott needs to lighten up.
I was happy to see him sit with his wife and kids. I think he
loves his family, and he seemed to be turning a corner of some
kind last night. Let's hope, anyway.

She seems like a super gal.

I'm sure they (EDIT) the content to make it more Dramatic for Viewers.He seams soft spoken and very gentle with his kids. I think the stress comes from the demands at the top. I would'nt judge the man by a TV show. He works hard which with a little ingenuity he could work smart. I feel like building him a cake feeder for his truck that way he could just drive and feed vs. the danger way of a self propelled pickup and a shovel.

Denny said:
I'm sure they (EDIT) the content to make it more Dramatic for Viewers.He seams soft spoken and very gentle with his kids. I think the stress comes from the demands at the top. I would'nt judge the man by a TV show. He works hard which with a little ingenuity he could work smart. I feel like building him a cake feeder for his truck that way he could just drive and feed vs. the danger way of a self propelled pickup and a shovel.

i'll agree with that.

Oh I agree with that too. He was "pressed for time" in the episode that showed him caking cows......and there he was loadin the truck with a shovel.....then the whole thing of puttin it in gear..jumpin out and shovelin it off. I thought....ohhhhh wreck waitin to happen. But also thought.....why not have a feeder on the truck so that you could feed faster as well as safer.

I realize there's alot that we don't see sittin at home as viewers. I'm sure they've edited out alot. He does look like a caring fella....at times. But there are other times when he makes comments like..."I'd rather work alone and do it myself" that just get me. He's not in it "alone" he has a wife and two kids that he needs to always always be concious of what he says....and the way he says it. Cuz one of these days....those two kids are gonna watch this series.......and then what?

I normally like doing most of the haying myself to much money invested in baler's and mower's to have a rock wreck it.

I've been thinking about those 3 boys. They really didn't have
much supervision, other than telling them what job to do.
I think the ranch would have been better off if they hadn't hired
three boys, especially three buddies. You know, one boy's a boy,
two boy's are half a boy, and three boys are no boy at all.

I was suprised too, like Tibbs mentioned, they paid them $25/day.
I'm not even sure that's legal. I realize they needed to start
somewhere, but that seems awfully low. And then I think again
about them not feeding those horses for 2 days...unforgiveable
in my book.

I am confused!

I watched the show and saw the preview of next weeks show and thought that Cal's accident happened recently.

I did a search on Cal Stucky and found several websites that say the accident happened in early October of 2009 .... which means that it happened almost a year ago.

Here is one of the websites with an update on his condition and about a benefit for Cal and it's dated Thursday, October 15, 2009.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/calstucky

I would love to know how he is doing now, if anyone knows.

Thank you, Kay

Below is the first paragraph taken from the website (caringbridge.org). Click on "My Story" to read the rest.

On August 12, 2009 Cal Stucky was in a head-on, auto accident. Cal was airlifted first to St. Patrick's Hospital in Missoula and later to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, Washington where he has begun his long road to recovery

I made an error on my first post when I said that the accident happened in October 2009 ..... the correct date was August 2009

FH, you took the quote right out of my mouth. The one about ones a boy and so on. My Dad used to say that all of the time. I meant to post that yesterday and then spaced it out. Did anyone catch my earlier post about the narrator. I believe is was Lilly who said it was a man by the name of Richard Belzer. The guy who plays Det. Munch on Law and Order SVU is named Richard Belzer. I'm curious if it is the same guy. Thoughts anyone?

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
The one thing that has bothered me durin this whole series. Is Scott saying over and over that he's a horrible communicator. He's not a bad communicator at all when he takes the time to talk to his wife...or kids. At least from what I've seen. But....my deal is....if he thinks he's so lackin in that department. Why doesn't he take some time to make improvements in that area?
I've looked at their website. They aren't "just ranchers" they also have a hunting outfit....fitted out with a lodge cabin for hunters to stay in..really nice lookin. Why not take a little time off durin that time when he'd be guiding hunters....and take some self improvement classes that deal with communicating.
I think the biggest hurdle for him as a rancher won't be his dad...or anything pertaining to every day ranch life.....it's gonna be communicating with his wife. She's a city girl...but she's willing to learn. He needs to grab onto that and teach her. At every opportunity he can. And be nice about it instead of when she askes a question......makin her feel stupid for asking it. Or her alway bein so afraid she's gonna screw up. Everyone screws up....but you get past that. I felt so sorry for her in the episode where she was sooooo worried that she'd left a gate open. Not that that wouldn't have caused major upheavel in the days work....but that she was so relieved that she hadn't and when she said...."I'da been in sooooo much trouble"
Round here when someone screws up....we laugh it off....and regroup and go at it again...and hope we learn from our mistakes.

(altho I realize that some mistakes could be real serious..specially if someone got hurt, but until someone knows the job...and has had some experience doin it...ya don't turn em loose by their selves with it)

Great post Lilly, you nailed it :) . We also laugh mistakes off here as well. I've had people help before who got a little excited when things didn't go right... and I just had to send them to "time out", and explain that as long as nobody is in danger, it's all good. Today we're moving cattle on the forest, and my main goal is to get the job done, and have a good time while doing it... it does involve bulls though, so we'll see if that actually happens :wink: :D .

I haven't farmed since I was in my early twenties. Am currently in an agreement with my nephew who is ranching on the farm I was raised on, my grandpa's homestead in Northern Alberta. I also worked for John Deere for two summers , so know a bit about the farm, still.

I was sure fooled by the sight of the Hughes family toughing it out on their ranch. It brought back memories of our family struggling on our section of land. We made it, but it was real hard. I teach now and was thinking that I should offer to work for nothing in the summer out there just to help out. WRONG! When I researched Tucker Hughes, I was introduced to one savvy political old cowboy - much like most of the farmers I grew up with. He is so involved in Banking and State Agriculture, that Scott has not a darn thing to complain about. That farm will go on long after Scott is dead and gone. I do feel somewhat sorry for his wife though, due to the solitary nature of farming. Scott's approach to her just isolates her more. This can be tough for a farm girl as a wife on a farm, let alone a city girl. I can see why Tucker really likes working with her. She has a can-do attitude and probably is as savvy as Tucker. I don't blame Tucker for being tough on Scott either. That ranch was worked on and built up by Tucker. He earned the rewards of his labor. Now Scott has to do the same. Fortunately, he has a much better life than his Dad probably had.

Love the show and RFD - Machinery of the Past. Will keep watching from my ocean front home in Connecticut. And won't be volunteering any time soon. Will take care of my garden, instead.

Cal Stucky had to have a lot of surgeries, including reconstructive
facial surgery. He's home and able to work, but things that were
second nature are more of a challenge. He's got a lot of support from
family and friends. That wreck came close to being a disaster.

Latest posts