• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Last weeks happenings

Help Support Ranchers.net:

per

Reaction score
Harvest is upon us finally. On last set of pics from last week and then thing will turn brown here. I am aware of the devastating drought in the southern states and definitely feel for you folks. We have had the best growing conditions in our history here. There is no accounting or even fairness in the weather. It is what it is.

Big clouds over the now snow covered rocks. The view from home base.
Sept2011003.jpg

Grass is still growing despite the cold rock faces near by at the ranch.
Sept2011021.jpg

The zoom thing on the camera brings them in pretty close.
Sept2011048.jpg

Much easier to spot the cows from a hill. They hear us and are heading for the next paddock. Once they are trained for frequent moves it doesn't seem to matter to them what grass is there because they are convinced it is better in the next one. We have changed our rotation to address the upcoming severe fire risk with all the fuel we will be leaving behind.
Sept2011047.jpg

Sept2011062.jpg

The view across the south end of our place.
Sept2011042.jpg

Visited a friend about 40 miles straight south in the Porcupine Hills. Looking across his ranch.
Sept2011010.jpg

Spotted this short truck short trailer unit while visiting a friend you all know as rkaiser about 250 miles north.
Sept2011075.jpg

Looking across his place.
Sept2011086.jpg

Sun dog to end the thread from rkaiser's.
Sept2011091.jpg

Golly, BMR, when I first read that I thought you said
"my first fight in a small plane..." and I was going to ask
who you were fighting with. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Your country is strickingly beautiful, per. We can hardly
wait to return. Thanks for the pictures.

Faster horses said:
Golly, BMR, when I first read that I thought you said
"my first fight in a small plane..." and I was going to ask
who you were fighting with. :oops: :lol: :lol:

Your country is strickingly beautiful, per. We can hardly
wait to return. Thanks for the pictures.

if you are coming back up this way maybe we can meet over coffee somewhere?

Your country looks great~~we're just a tad farther away from the mtns and a ways south---and also set up for the 'perfect storm' regarding fire conditions.

'Last weeks happenings'---my wife and I have decided to start doing more stuff while we're still able---her and my sister are at rodeo @ Patricia, Ab right now, we made friends there thru the oil patch.

Sept 1, 12 noon is when mineral claims on BLM come up for renewal/expire. My buddy had his eye on some outa Prescott, Az---so we took a road trip. Up the Bitteroot, over the top, up the Salmon river, spent the nite in Challis, Id. Down to Elko, got in a 206 --jet ranger--landed in St George for gas, on to Prescott, started putting stakes in the ground 12:01 pm the next day. Rough claims, rough flying, had to toe in and get out to stake.

Gotta cross the grand canyon in 'corridor' and stay over 11,000', so as not to screw up the 'experience' for those in the canyon. Other than that, fly pretty low so really get to look the country over. Don't seem to be as many cows in the country as normal. A lovely, memorable trip.

littlejoe said:
Your country looks great~~we're just a tad farther away from the mtns and a ways south---and also set up for the 'perfect storm' regarding fire conditions.

'Last weeks happenings'---my wife and I have decided to start doing more stuff while we're still able---her and my sister are at rodeo @ Patricia, Ab right now, we made friends there thru the oil patch.

Sept 1, 12 noon is when mineral claims on BLM come up for renewal/expire. My buddy had his eye on some outa Prescott, Az---so we took a road trip. Up the Bitteroot, over the top, up the Salmon river, spent the nite in Challis, Id. Down to Elko, got in a 206 --jet ranger--landed in St George for gas, on to Prescott, started putting stakes in the ground 12:01 pm the next day. Rough claims, rough flying, had to toe in and get out to stake.

Gotta cross the grand canyon in 'corridor' and stay over 11,000', so as not to screw up the 'experience' for those in the canyon. Other than that, fly pretty low so really get to look the country over. Don't seem to be as many cows in the country as normal. A lovely, memorable trip.
No better way to see the country than in a Jet ranger. My cousin delivered a 206 he sold in Panama and had his wife with him. He was flying on the deck as he approached the canyon and his wife was sleeping. He woke her up just before they flew over the edge. :shock: She still hasn't forgiven him many years later. I guess he wasn't heeding the flight level rules. :shock: :?

Thanks hayguy. We will definitely do that. I thought we would get
to Canada this fall, but we have a family member that is deathly ill
and we've gone to see her twice and will go again. She lives in SW
Montana, so that's a far drive. We'll probably have to table our
visit til next year.

Very nice Per ! :D

Harvesting started this weekend here too, we are supposed to get a week or so in the 80's with no rain. Hoping to start second cut of hay this week, even though we had such a late start with the first ,our regrowth has been unbelievable.
What a huge difference 2 years has made in our area . I guess everything is cyclical, we all cannot have bumper crops or be in a drought at the same time .

Latest posts