• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Late summer on the desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
The monsoon season has finally returned after what has been a dry and tough few years. Sure hope this breaks the pattern we had been in. Lots of green grass is growing and the cattle look pretty shiny to me. Ran up and checked my little bunch last night. Plenty happy with how they look. Late calver and the youngest one of the bunch.
5E58EE5F-866C-49A4-8AC8-BE46D9593CC5.jpeg

This steer will have to be crowding 600 lbs right now. Such a good cow and she doesn't weigh a pound over 1200. His cow is standing left of him in the first picture
76EF6690-D708-4599-B33C-FBBA801D8C20.jpeg

He is a tank!
32E44C3B-5041-4D3D-89A1-68590E400025.jpeg

Some more calves. They are putting on the pounds this time of year. After these storms the grass oughta really make them keep doing it clear til weaning time come October.
325509F0-4C82-45F3-A5F7-DA7E0131BA45.jpeg
DC119E68-7A3B-4AE8-B799-E13124A6C55A.jpeg

391A5764-3CDB-4078-BAA9-CDC8442674C8.jpeg

Sunset was postcard pretty. This is actually looking east. But that big thunderstorm 85 miles away was tall enough to reflect the last few rays of the day.
B2EB20DF-5042-4A90-8862-2B0F9FB81BA9.jpeg

We spent the day before over in the town of Eureka celebrating Silver Days. Son had to be on a wrestling team float and then do a FFA booth. This float was my favorite
D9392249-2E93-4B39-A55E-4E134BC07DFD.jpeg

The clouds built all morning and around noon this storm showed up. Everyone took cover and it rained to beat hell. Stopped at 2 pm and we all started the festivities up again. I did some cowboy poetry and apparently folks were short on misery as they all seemed to enjoy it.
E76B6317-E803-4612-971C-C71249AB5E56.jpeg

Well there is my report. Hope y'all will snap some pictures and share them as ya can. Happy trails
H'

So happy you are getting rain and grass! Didn't know there was a Eureka in Utah
It's a shadow of its past self. Around 1900 it had more people that Salt Lake City did. The Tintic mining district was booming in those days. Over 10,000 miners called Eureka and it's mines home. My Grandfather would trail fat cattle to the butcher there weekly to feed the people. He'd buy cattle from neighboring ranchers or his own and trail them from our ranch over, which was about 45 miles. No fences in those days. Still a mine or two working but the town has shrunk to about 1000. My wife works for the school district and both my kids went/go to school there.

The condition of your cattle...you don't need to take a backseat to anyone, anywhere.
They look terrific.
Thanks FH. It's much easier with the numbers I have. Wish I had a thousand head that looked that good. Then I'd be Soapweed or Gcreek or BMR or Nicky. I've always admired quality cattle that have enough groceries to make them shiny. I am excited to see how these calves wean in October. They oughta mash a scale down some. It's amazing how good cattle can do in our country when it rains. It's been a spell since I felt this good.

It's a shadow of its past self. Around 1900 it had more people that Salt Lake City did. The Tintic mining district was booming in those days. Over 10,000 miners called Eureka and it's mines home. My Grandfather would trail fat cattle to the butcher there weekly to feed the people. He'd buy cattle from neighboring ranchers or his own and trail them from our ranch over, which was about 45 miles. No fences in those days. Still a mine or two working but the town has shrunk to about 1000. My wife works for the school district and both my kids went/go to school there.
Wow, that is cool. Guess I'm not very observant, should've known that if that's where they work/go to school. We lived in Eureka Nv when I was 6 months -4 yrs old

I used to work in Eureka, Oregon doing geology exploration. I camped there for a few days while working long hours. I never saw the old timers in the day, but at night they would get a little rowdy. :)

Eureka is a ghost town in Baker County, Oregon United States, located along Cracker Creek, approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Sumpter, and .6 miles (0.97 km) from Bourne.

I used to work in Eureka, Oregon doing geology exploration. I camped there for a few days while working long hours. I never saw the old timers in the day, but at night they would get a little rowdy. :)

Eureka is a ghost town in Baker County, Oregon United States, located along Cracker Creek, approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Sumpter, and .6 miles (0.97 km) from Bourne.
I didn't know that. Must not be any buildings left? We used to help our friends ride on their forest permit up there.

Rather than crowing about how good it is you should be on the phone buying some thin cattle from places that haven't had rain yet. Haven't I taught you anything in nearly 20 years?
You've taught me everything you know! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I like the idea about buying cattle. But I just paid for a wedding. I couldn't buy a piss ant a pair of pants.

Anything left of the ghost town? A neighbor has been telling where there are building left up in Morman Basin. Going to explore the old gold rush ghost towns is something we like to do.

I didn't know that. Must not be any buildings left? We used to help our friends ride on their forest permit up there.
I haven't been there since 1985. I think there was an old building or two but cannot remember for sure. So many of those places had their building removed by thieves that sold the old lumber. Eureka is about half a mile up the creek from Bourne. This photo is labeled as Bourne, but I think it might be closer to where Eureka is.

bourne-ghost-town-2-web.jpg

Anything left of the ghost town? A neighbor has been telling where there are building left up in Morman Basin. Going to explore the old gold rush ghost towns is something we like to do.
Yes, I use to love finding the old towns. There were several old buildings in Mormon Basin when I worked there. There were also several old cabins hidden back in the trees on the way there. One of the most exciting places I discovered was above Granite. Instead of taking the final bend in the highway to Granite, just go straight up a gravel road and take the first turn right. There is a power plant up there that was being restored. Lots of old buildings up in that country. The old Buffalo mine had several buildings including a working mill.

The Fremont Powerhouse is a power plant located in the Umatilla National Forest in Grant County, west of Granite, Oregon, United States. History [ edit] The Fremont Powerhouse used to power to the Red Boy Mine, creating electricity from water supplied by Olive Lake.

Attachments

• f7d8852bbf600979ef0a7a1da3dba90c.jpg
    f7d8852bbf600979ef0a7a1da3dba90c.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 7
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 6
  • 5363907863_b8309f5432_b.jpg
    5363907863_b8309f5432_b.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
  • R (1).jpg
    R (1).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 6
  • R (2).jpg
    R (2).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Fremont_Powerhouse_-_Granite_Oregon.jpg
    Fremont_Powerhouse_-_Granite_Oregon.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 7
Don't they have a thing called credit in Utah? Who ever thought you need cash to buy cattle.
Exactly! And you ain't a cow man with no debt.😉

Excuses are like a holes, everybody has one but old H has more excuses to stay a hobby farmer and not a debt ridden, asset rich rancher than any I know! 😂😂😂😂😂

Excuses are like a holes, everybody has one but old H has more excuses to stay a hobby farmer and not a debt ridden, asset rich rancher than any I know! 😂😂😂😂😂
There are advantages to debt which he obviously doesn't understand. Take for instance those old BM cows I just sold. Northwest Farm Credit was nice enough to take to that entire check. I didn't have to worry about taking it to the bank to deposit, what to do with the money, and other financial concerns. It is a service they provide.

Hobby rancher hahaha! That is one disparaging, red turning white, hot iron brand. Sure hope H has bull hide skin. He is leanin already and that kind of ugly lingo may topple him over.

Latest posts