• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Let the Games Begin!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

When the papers came they were totally different bred than the sale book. I bought these over a internet auction and could not find a update sheet.
As we all know announcements over the action take order over the printed sale book. Not all of this is said over these internet auction sites as they have a lot of lookers logged on...It no big deal this has happened more than once to me. I am getted used to it.
I did the bidding its my fault no one elses.

kolanuraven said:
Hay Feeder said:
I had posted to this author about some heifers that I had bought last fall on another post thats why it is hard to understand.
The heifers only started spring up this week and all missed their AI dates.
If no one told me when they were to calve I would of not thought anything about it. Sometimes these Reg sales get so busy pumping up their cattle the make those so called mistakes by printing the cattle have been AI bred
to get more bidding ..sometimes we wonder if the cows ever made it to the AI chute...
Sorry I get typing like I am talking to that person rather than to everyone on the world wide web.

90% of reg cattle, that sell as anything other than donors or showcattle ,are AI'ed then turned out with a ' cover bull' for a period of time in Pasture Exposure.

The seller should have this in the catalog, in a supplement for the catalog or told you and it should even be listed on the reg paper you got the PE dates, etc.

okay everyone prepare for hell to feeze over...Jigs agreed with guest1 yesterday and I'm going to agree with Kolanuraven today :shock:
and if they were sold as bred heifers and from major places (your words) they should have said safe in calf to the AI sire or whatever bull they were pasture bred to.

Hay Feeder said:
When the papers came they were totally different bred than the sale book. I bought these over a internet auction and could not find a update sheet.
As we all know announcements over the action take order over the printed sale book. Not all of this is said over these internet auction sites as they have a lot of lookers logged on...It no big deal this has happened more than once to me. I am getted used to it.
I did the bidding its my fault no one elses.

Then you should stand up for yourself and call the breeder on this issue. But if you let it go, then it's your fault.

Mistakes DO happen, esp when you have HUGE herds, lots of sales every year and lots of registrations.....BUT....BUT...BUT....mistake can be corrected if researched.

It's not a big deal ot research the history of the cattle and 99.9% of the time, that's exactly what you have...a mistake.

Like I said, if you paid what you consider good money and you did not question what may have happened...then it's your fault when you don't protect yourself and your investments.

Yeah, they're coming early this year! Out of 150 head that were synchronized and AI'ed for Feb. 15, plus 30-some late calvers that were turned with the clean-up bulls, we have 70-some calves already. I'd say 85 percent or better look full-term weighing 80 #'s or so. They're out of basically straight Angus cows weighing 1250-1500 #'s pre-calving. We're easily a week ahead of schedule according to a five year average.
We got nine today in twelve hours(daylight hours at that). A little wet snow this am, and almost no wind. Would have been a pretty good nice day, except I doctored the first suspected interoximia case this evening.
Right now we set with one dry shelly that slunk, one robbed feedlot calf, and one on the bottle(not for long I fear). Otherwise, so far so good, thanks to three sets of twins.
Yeah that's four trips to the blowout, Soapweed....

Haytrucker said:
Yeah, they're coming early this year! Out of 150 head that were synchronized and AI'ed for Feb. 15, plus 30-some late calvers that were turned with the clean-up bulls, we have 70-some calves already. I'd say 85 percent or better look full-term weighing 80 #'s or so. They're out of basically straight Angus cows weighing 1250-1500 #'s pre-calving. We're easily a week ahead of schedule according to a five year average.
We got nine today in twelve hours(daylight hours at that). A little wet snow this am, and almost no wind. Would have been a pretty good nice day, except I doctored the first suspected interoximia case this evening.
Right now we set with one dry shelly that slunk, one robbed feedlot calf, and one on the bottle(not for long I fear). Otherwise, so far so good, thanks to three sets of twins.
Yeah that's four trips to the blowout, Soapweed....

Blowouts are good for something. :wink:

Hay Feeder said:
I had posted to this author about some heifers that I had bought last fall on another post thats why it is hard to understand.
The heifers only started spring up this week and all missed their AI dates.
If no one told me when they were to calve I would of not thought anything about it. Sometimes these Reg sales get so busy pumping up their cattle the make those so called mistakes by printing the cattle have been AI bred
to get more bidding ..sometimes we wonder if the cows ever made it to the AI chute...
Sorry I get typing like I am talking to that person rather than to everyone on the world wide web.

I knew what you were talking about, and I'm glad to hear your heifers are starting to show :D . No, I've not been in the sheep business before, and am fortunate to have a nice calving barn. When I first started, I only had the barn and a few cattle panels as a corral...no night lot, no corrals, no outside lighting, and limited water. It's been a continuous project, but finally has become a usable facility, and I really appreciate what I have...especially the water since hauling water is so incredibly time consuming :D .

WyomingRancher said:
Triangle Bar said:
How did you syncronize your heifers? I remember you posted about it, but have forgotten.

I gave them a single shot of Lutalyse the day I turned bulls in with them, nothing else.

I just had a cow calve... they seem to be coming early, but are full-term, vigorous babies. Turned the bulls out 5/16 with heifers and 5/18 with cows. Is anyone else starting a little earlier than expected?

Does Lutalyse bring them into heat?

Are you getting more out of the heifers yet?

Richard Doolittle said:
Does Lutalyse bring them into heat?

Are you getting more out of the heifers yet?

Yes, the Lutalyse brings them into heat if they are at the right time in their cycle...if they have a corpus luteum present on the ovary, Lutalyse regresses the CL, progesterone drops, they ovulate. There are more sophisticated ways to synchronize, but I'm too lazy to do them :wink: . Maybe NR will chime in and give some advice.

None calved yesterday, but plenty are ready to pop.

8/23 look like this one...13 are showing good, and 2 look to be later in my "professional opinion" FWIW :lol: :
Calving2009025.jpg

I know there are more sophisticated/complicated ways of synchronizing. I'm curious how this simplified method will work because that might fit my style also!

Richard Doolittle said:
I know there are more sophisticated/complicated ways of synchronizing. I'm curious how this simplified method will work because that might fit my style also!

This is the second time I've done it, and it looks to be working well again. I'd recommend giving it a try.

WyomingRancher said:
Richard Doolittle said:

This is the second time I've done it, and it looks to be working well again. I'd recommend giving it a try.

I've tried it twice on heifers-- just lutalyse them the day I turn the bulls with them- and got good results...About 3/4 of them calved within about a weeks period...The secret there is to have plenty of bull power with them....

Oldtimer said:
WyomingRancher said:
Richard Doolittle said:

I've tried it twice on heifers-- just lutalyse them the day I turn the bulls with them- and got good results...About 3/4 of them calved within about a weeks period...The secret there is to have plenty of bull power with them....

Yep, plenty of bull power and a smaller pasture :wink: . I add more cows in with the bulls later, so I'm not needing extra bulls, just extra power for the first days of breeding them FWIW :D .

Latest posts