• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

loading heifers (not)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tlakota

Reaction score
So I had consigned some bred heifers to take to auction about 150 miles away. I had trucking lined up and everything for 12 yesterday and as i was opening the gate to get the herd into sort i figured i would call to make sure hes on schedule. Ya ill be there he says. The trucker never shows up never gives me a call, nothing. So here i sit with heifers sorted from the other part of the herd and the truck wont call, wont answer. FRUSTRATED. I finally just had to let them back out with the herd. What would everybody else do in this situation. Not that anything can be done, but seriously, this is rediculous. sorry for my rant

Well, I would not call that trucker again, and I'll bet my friend and neighbors won't either, In fact, I'll bet ol trucker will be doin' sumpthin else in a year. That would be disgusting.

were they going to be sold the same day? seems the time frame was a little tight, load at 12- 150 mile haul- then sell.

That is a tough deal. Nothing more frustrating than to go through all that work and expectation and then be left sitting.

I'd be finding out what happened to that trucker that he didn't show and if he had no good reason to not show up or even call back, he would definitely be blacklisted, like Shortgrass said.

That's a terrible way to do business, on the trucker's part.

well if it was me that this happened to I wouldn't be too concerned-
God always has a way of working things out for me if I let him.
To my way of thinking God always has a better plan than mine, he might not always let me in on it right away, but in hindsight I can usually see it and see how it was for my betterment.
God has used $ as a tool to get my attention many times-
Relax, look for Gods hand in this, pay attention, be patient!!

Lonecowboy said:
well if it was me that this happened to I wouldn't be too concerned-
God always has a way of working things out for me if I let him.
To my way of thinking God always has a better plan than mine, he might not always let me in on it right away, but in hindsight I can usually see it and see how it was for my betterment.
God has used $ as a tool to get my attention many times-
Relax, look for Gods hand in this, pay attention, be patient!!

Those were my thoughts,someone higher up was saying keep those bred heifers this cattle deal is about to bust wide open.

You have two of the best barns in the state fifteen miles from your door. Do you really think just because you haul your heifers 150 miles away that they will sell any better?

Invoice the trucking company for truck ordered, failed to show...$250.00 is industry standard...

You may or may not get paid...If you don't get paid you can jack with em some more or go on about your business...

I have run a Transportation Co. for the last 11 years...and that's what happens when your truck fails to make a pick-up...

We have a good friend that was sending 2 loads of cows to St. Onge to sell on a FridayBbred sale. He sent the trucks on Thursday morning
so they would have a chance to fill up before the sale. St. Onge called Thursday afternoon and the trucks hadn't showed up. :shock:
They started checking, and the trucker unloaded the cows at Belle
Fourche Livestock Auction. :shock: That sale was not until MONDAY. :shock:
St. Onge staff discussed the situation with the owner of the cattle and it was decided to just leave the cows at Belle because by
the time they got them to St. Onge and reworked them, those cows
would be pretty empty by the time they sold.

Interesting that the Friday bred sale at St. Onge was not that good, and the sale at Belle Fourche on Monday was on fire!!!

There was a reason they were unloaded at the wrong place. We just
need to remember, GOD IS IN CHARGE.

The owner of the cattle did make the trucker pay the feed bill incurred from Thursday to Monday...

I owned a livestock trucking business for almost twenty years. I would never leave someone hanging like that! If I would get a job and didn't have a truck available I would call another company and take care of all the arrangments for the customer that called me just so I knew they were taken care of. Done it many times! Heck I did it once and the guy that covered the job for me ended up getting run full time for well over a year by the Cattle Jocky. My loss maybe, but the job was covered at the time and that is all that mattered!

bullhauler-
I have my reasons. I have been hosed by one barn and i wont do business there again. The other one is great and do most of my business there. I make management decisions that may not make sense to others, but they do to me. Just like everybody elses operation.

tlakota said:
So I had consigned some bred heifers to take to auction about 150 miles away. I had trucking lined up and everything for 12 yesterday and as i was opening the gate to get the herd into sort i figured i would call to make sure hes on schedule. Ya ill be there he says. The trucker never shows up never gives me a call, nothing. So here i sit with heifers sorted from the other part of the herd and the truck wont call, wont answer. FRUSTRATED. I finally just had to let them back out with the herd. What would everybody else do in this situation. Not that anything can be done, but seriously, this is rediculous. sorry for my rant

Sorry to hear that. Is the trucker independent or does he have someone to answer to in the morning?

I am sitting here wondering about one possiility.... Is the trucker ok? I think our prayers should be that way.

I Smile as I echo the other thought here; maybe something better is in store. That has happened to me a lot. I even got a reminder this Weekend. The Tractor Mechanic looked at me and said, "You are too hard on yourself"... I do beat myself up a bit.

Good Luck on those heifers no matter what you decide

PPRM said:
I am sitting here wondering about one possiility.... Is the trucker ok? I think our prayers should be that way.

That was my first thought at the beginning of this topic.

I've had late trucks before, one was 24 hrs late but wasn't a big problem as the load wasn't bound for a sale. With the road conditions in this area during the spring and fall it is quite a treat to see a truck show up on time.

That's the experience we have had also NR - lots of crooks and poor business men in the hay trading/trucking business. Never had a problem on the cattle haulage side.

In defense of the hay trucker's as many crooks there are selling the hay there's just as many buying it.

Latest posts