• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Local Fires

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
We are still drier then dry around here. Did have a storm roll through last night and got a few sprinkles, but had way more fires then rain. Lisa and I watched 3 lightening bolts go to the ground, and within 15 minutes I was on a firetruck fighting fire. The closest one was about 3 miles south of the house, but by far the worst one was up north of Cody. Took the center totally out of a 26000 acre ranch. I know of 4 cows and 1 calf that were killed.
Bad deal all the way around.

Driving home from the forest this afternoon, I spotted smoke and called it in. There had been some lightning in the area. Anyhow, the fire is growing in dense beetle killed timber, and my neighbor rushed up with his fire truck to help. The a$$holes told him to go home, they had it "under control". So I guess we all hope the reinforcements show up soon to start fighting the fire... Here we go, the horses are in, trailers hooked up, ready to go. I can't wait for a blizzard to hit, what a summer sent from he!! :x

Not only does the 'red' bug kill burn good, so does the 'gray'.

As for dealing with the 'great white father's' boys---a few yrs ago, we were called out to fire @ Lewis and clark pass. Then got stopped, not allowed to go. Sat around for a bit, had a 30 second group think and started up anyhow.

Gov guy stopped us asked 'who authorized you to go up?"

"I did"

Blank stare---so I elaborated 'we're vol f.d, I'm the chief, this is our stuff, fire looks to me like it's on private land'

Well, I can't authorize you.

I never asked you too. Away we went.

Came down that nite, same guy came over to me--how many people, they all off? 11 and yup.

He came right back with box of 12 big lunches. I asked when the rest of people setting around got to eat? He said--whenver, you guys been working.

So, filled up, and down to my cookies and here comes an over the road trucker with a dry van--in shorts and sandels---dives into the creek crossing in spite of several waving him off. Gets her tweaked real good and spins out. Trailer by 5th wheel pin smokin on the drivers. I look it over, do a farmer 'reverse engineering' on his self levelling air bags, my guys hook onto his dumb ass and drag him out. As soon as he's outa the way, another one does it. If you can keep your cool, it's kinda (almost) entertaining.....

The BLM in this country get paid to fight fire, not put them out! :mad: Par for the course on how the Government does pretty much everything. Hope ya'll get the fires under control and stay safe! A neighboring outfit south of here lost all their summer and winter ground in the Clay Springs fire. Unless they find a lease by monday, the cows are headed for the sale barn. :(

i've found the best way to handle a catastrophe like this is just full steam ahead. Then the gov boys don't know what to do. Stand your ground and ignore them as much as possible. It is a power trip for them and they will generally try to hold that power the best they can. Their livelihood doesn't depend on getting the fire out.

Well, the fire last night wasn't near as bad in the daylight. Still bad, but livable. We worked calves today, then drove cattle 4 miles. I don't think I have ever seen as many different fires around the country as I did today. Not good!! The lighting last night got 9 cows and 6 calves, on one ranch. As I type this tonight, there is a big one south of Soapweed. Sure hope everyone stays safe!!!! :!: :!: :!:

Latest posts