• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Looking for a new guard dog ????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Huuum english sheppard...I will be looking info up on the net. Thanks Brad.
I know some one who has a catahoula cross and yikes. Thing would scare the crap out of me. Friend with kids come over often.

Faster horses.....as for the spelling ..yup felt a little special at first but now aaaaahhhh poking fun at it. :D

Jessie, what part of Manitoba do you live in? It sure sounds like an area not far from us. Breakins happen all the time there. I know my uncle has seen guys 'casing' yards, and they are looking to see who has dogs. People there have been resorting to alarms on their shops too.

We have a German Shepherd. She looks intimidating, but wouldn't hurt anyone... unless she thought someone was going to hurt me. She went in to defense mode one time at obedience class when a big dog got too close to me, and she was pretty scary. It was kind of embarrassing, but still impressive. :wink: She really doesn't like big white dogs, and I don't know why. Hopefully she doesn't like burglers either.

Kato......We live between portage and gladstone...westbourne area.
Something tells me real close to you.

Faster horses....thanks for the help.

I think I've told the story about a dog I gave my friend - the dog learned to tear the wind-shield-wipers of stray cars

Another friend had trouble with Theifs when he was overnight at other ranches - we sent his family to check the other ranchs to baited the trap

Car drove up to the house and blew the horn - No Answer - They drove back to the barn/tool shed

One of his sons blocked the driveway with a truck - Illagaly Armed we lind 5 up againest the barn - They took of running when the Kids racked their car with an automatic AR 16?

Boss started up his D9 and did some body, finder and motor work then pushed the pile out on to the county road - Sheriff's Cars were at the door in the AM - - our question :?: What Car :?:

Yup Jessie, same neighbourhood I'm talking about. I'm near Neepawa.

Has the Whitemud gone down yet? We were in Winnipeg last week to see Willie Nelson, and it actually looks wetter than it was a couple of weeks ago near Woodside.

I'll keep an eye out for a guard dog locally. We come across dogs all the time at work. If I hear of one, I'll send a private message. :D

I know the kind of characters you're dealing with. Perhaps you'd like a Rottie or Mastiff? :wink: Or a pet lion?

Hey, how was the Willie Nelson concert?

We saw him a few years ago in Miles City, it was soooooooo good!
My husband is a Willie Nelson FAN. He wouldn't stand in line for anybody, I didn't think. But he stood in line to get a ticket to the Willie Nelson concert.

He had more fun!!!!

Waylon was in Miles City the year before, and he wasn't even close to as good as Willie. Willie had lots more personality with the crowd. Waylon is a good singer, but we had to listen to some songs by Jessie Coulter, and I don't think she can sing a lick. Then when it was over Waylon just drove off. Willie came back, and back and back...as I said, it was really good and worth standing in line for. He is definitely an entertainer and loves what he does.

Pictures - - Willie - Garth and more :roll:

http://imageevent.com/v_key/catchpen

This Link does not work - I get
Http://http//
http://http//imageevent.com/v_key/catchpen

What do you get-
Is it Ranchers.net?
Goggle?
My server?
Ahh: This one workes - No opening [ url ] and no closeing [ /url ]
Try this:
http://imageevent.com/v_key/catchpen

Willie was awsome. He did all the songs you'd ever have on your list of Must Hear Live! :D

The audience was interesting to watch. There was pretty much every kind of person there. From youngsters in cowboy hats, to youngsters in heavy metal T-shirts, to bikers, to grandma and grandpa and everything in between. I've never been to a concert quite like that. Even my sons who saw him at Woodstock said he was great, and that was another totally different crowd. :shock:

Don't have any pictures though. :( I tried, but we were too far away, and it was too dark.

Thanks for the report. That is how the concert was in Miles City. You really get your money's worth!!

My husband, who is a rather inconspicious kind of guy~got sloshed and had a great time. The people we were with told their kids the next day, "there was a guy there hollering and making a lot of noise. We'd have moved, but he was with us."

That is totally out of character for my husband, guess Willie brings out the FUN in him. :wink: :D

Willie strikes me as the type that all ages would be able to get into and have a great time......comes across as very down to earth and straight up.

As for the whitemud the creek in front of our house runs into it and yikes at least a 1/4 of the lawn is still under water. What a mess. We can see the fire pit again though. We just passed through the land of plenty Monday night...took a trip to Brandon. Will be meeting Grandmother for the lily festival next week.

Was there ever a Grandma who didn't love the Lily Fest? :D

We have a pasture half a mile west of the growing fields south of town, just south of the Lily Nook. Sometimes it's worth your life to go down there. Cars turning and stopping everywhere, and no one looking where they're going. Then they all go back to town doing a blistering 60 kph. It is lots of fun though. You just have to be really careful when you drive. :wink:

The parade is my favourite. And Albert's mini eggrolls off the barbeque in front of Lee's.. :D

if it was me, i'd get a well-bred shepherd (german). the really good ones should have parents that not only have completed the shepherd tests, but also the protection tests. google "guard dogs" for a start. there are some REEALY good breeders up there in canada, who can refer you to others.

look for "schutzhund" degrees--these are the best kind of dogs, and go from there (tho the $$ some of these dogs are worth blows my mind!!!). they are working-bred, not show-bred, and if the $ seem high, contact that breeder and ask for references, explain what you're looking for and they will help you.

good luck! let us know what happens!!

Thanks Chuckie the retired sheppard is from a good breeder the long line of papers and all the bells and whistle...Lawerence anoychuk sp?
His dogs are pretty pricey ships all over the world and some of the dogs are show the others work dogs, these are less then the show as they have the long hair or whatever. Cannisphere kennels I think it is.
I think I will be getting another of his pups he will throw in the training free.

jessie--oh heavens, yes! i was looking at his web site last week; what a deal. i seriously started thinking of getting into more advanced training when i saw what some of these trained dogs bring--saw a shepherd that was GORGEOUS, trained, for $47500.00.

geez--who would buy this kind of dog (other than law enforcement)-or michael jackson :shock:

when you get your pup, i want pics!!!

Small world some times...Chuckie.
This guy has wicked sheppard's some all black, all white.
Anywho's he sells the ones that he can not show way cheaper to ppl like me or the RCMP, usually the ones that are bred for the first time..They tend to have very long hair...as does the dog I have now. You can still see the great blood lines in him. Has all the papers of his lineage sp? He sells pups sometimes for alot less then the dogs you saw for 47500.00...Oh my god hey! He has pups for 800.00 right now and a..., I think it was 8-10 months that a buddy has been working with or something that he said I could have now.
As I live in the same province as him I can get the freebie training. I watched him work his dogs before and it is flipping amazing.
I bought my other sheppard from him for are ya ready 350.00 and he let me do payments.....batted my eyes :wink: and let my son pick him out.
Talked it over with DH and he wants to wait until we have one dog on the farm. We have two right now....insert heavy sigh here. I understand as I work in the city of Winnipeg an hour and half away 4 days of the week. Which leaves him to work around the dogs....especially my old retired to the country sheppard who will follow him around all freakin day...The old guy just does not stop. Even with his hind end a touch on the sore side. He loves it out here.
Any way talked to cannisphere again and he said anytime I was ready he would sell me another deal dog.....What great people they are.

I have a catahoula male dog that is a little agresive that I am looking at geting rid of becouse of all the kids that are around. For more info you can call me at 1417-345-0061 if no one ansewers leave you name and #
or you can email me at [email protected] oh and by the way my name is Chris.

Get a Great Pyrenees they are great dogs but very intimindating-ours would just walk up and look in the vehicle window lol. If your native folks are like ours they are scared of most any dog.

Good advice Northern Rancher. Our Great Pyrenees intimidates anyone and everyone, although she's both loving and harmless. Bikers on the way to and from the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally don't know she's not dangerous and, since she loves to chase any motor vehicle, we don't have to worry about any scum-of-the-earth bikers getting too close to our place.

We really don't know what she'd do with a biker if she caught one, but it probably won't be too long before we find out.

PS – she doesn't seem to care for GF&P employees, which says much about her taste, but she just loves "native Americans", although for the most part, they're scared to death of her.

Latest posts