• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lots of hungry mouths . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Never before saw so many army worms and other bugs. They are munching on the seed heads of the timothy grass while the weevil is stripping the leaves off of the alfalfa.

Got the hay all cut but should maybe be cutting some of the pasture ground as well before the army worms shred it ahead of the cows.

Not an epidemic here yet but they are spraying crops 1/2 hour south of us. One guy thought he dodged the bullet until his neighbor cut hay and then the worms moved from the hayfield into his soys. Ouch.

Drought to start the season and then once we get rain, army worms and weevil. An interesting year so far.

But we're all healthy and happy so life is still good!

Strange about those army worms we ain't bothered with them around here till fall, matter of fact that's how they are referred to around here ......fall army worms. Those things get in a oat field and can ruin an acre a day if not sprayed.
Good luck

"One of benefits of 9 frost free days annually is the scarcity of various bugs.'

And the scarcity of various people to bug you.

Hoppers are starting to get thick out here and south of us a ways, the mormon crickets are going nuts. Lucky for us, we havent had enough rain to grow anything for them to eat! :lol: :lol: That'll show em'! :D :wink:

Moved the cows to the next paddock yesterday afternoon and thought the grass looked kinda funny. Didn't have to look too closely to see that almost all of the leaves were stripped off of the timothy and orchard grass, as well as much of the seed heads.

So a survey of the rest of the pasture field showed that if something wasn't done soon, there wouldn't be much eating left for the cows by the time they got over it all in the next 10 days. So I'm cutting what's left and baling it to feed to them green.

Lots of worms on the ground and on the plants. The reel on the haybine throws them up on the tractor fenders and on my back. :gag: Good for protein in the hay? :?

YUK, burnt. :(

Yesterday I just noticed some grasshoppers near the house,
the littly-bitty ones, so far. But those do a lot of damage.
We have such heavy clay soil
here (gumbo) that we don't have a lot of problems with grasshoppers.
But I sure didn't like what I found yesterday.

Latest posts