• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MADE WHERE??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Richard Doolittle

Reaction score
I'm ususally a "Buy American" type of person, but also a "price-conscious" shopper. Recently on some quick trips through the store I found some surprises when I looked at my products at home.

Noodles (can't remember the brand name) made in Mexico.

Rasberry Preserves made in Egypt. This was "Global Brands" so should have deserved further investigation at the store, but the brand name is small and inconspicuous and at the time I was just interested in grabbing a cheap jar of jelly to put on my toast in the morning.

Had I took the time to really look at these products at the store, I would not have purchased them. However, in this hurry-scurry world of ever more price conscious shoppers, I think cheap imported food is more common than a lot of us realize.

Anyone else have experiences like these?

Of course - I think we all have - however, I do know we have made a concerted effort to avoid imported foods.

However, we are small potatoes in the grand scheme of life. While it is common for people to say they will buy local or that they will buy "pick your country" produce - the truth is Mr. and Mrs. Joe Six Pack are struggling to make ends meet and will most often buy the cheap rather than the flag.

You put burger out on the line - from U.S. of A. or Canada at 6 bucks a pound - or put out imported burger at two fifty a pound - call it Grade whatever - as long as it has an inspection stamp on it and it is legal to sell - I can assure you the cheaper imported meat moves faster.

I know there are those here who will say that is BS - but the fact remains there are a pile of folks out there on both sides of the border that are well and truly pounding their pennies into dimes. We are talking millions with little to no cash.

U.S. of A. unemployment running at 8% - give or take a bit - means about 20 - 24 million folks with no income - nearly two thirds of the entire population of Canada! That is a pile of folks looking for cheap food.

When the husband and kids are hungry, and the pay cheque is small - the cheap stuff gets purchased and the quality - or home grown (more expensive) stuff remains on the shelf.

BC

Richard, I have relatives that live near Troutdale in Oregon. I used to enjoy the fresh strawberries and raspberries when visiting. About five years ago we were down and I couldn't find a single orchard left growing fruit. They were all into tree nurseries. He informed me that Brazil was growing the fruit cheaper and the public wasn't interested in anything but price. I think that is the case with most products. Very sad state of affairs both of our countries are in. Just my opinion, of course.

I didn't intend for this to become a Political of Bull Session discussion. I just thought it might be interesting to hear some examples from the ranchers.net crowd. Things you don't think twice about at the time, but make you raise an eyebrow when you realize it.

Richard Doolittle said:
I didn't intend for this to become a Political of Bull Session discussion. I just thought it might be interesting to hear some examples from the ranchers.net crowd. Things you don't think twice about at the time, but make you raise an eyebrow when you realize it.

No probs - I think it is a topic that needs to be raised - and who cares what sub title it hides under?

Fact is times will get toughter if bailouts fail - and food will have to be cheap or folks will go hungry.

Imported food is often cheaper - it is just annoying that we cannot - or perhaps I should say - do not produce it ourselves.

Finally - NEVER apologize on this board for bringing up a topic! :D

Have a good one.

BC

Finally - NEVER apologize on this board for bringing up a topic!
I agree
I know I dont check lables I check price. I dont have the means to support homegrown. I am not one to say well then lower the prices cuz I KNOW who ends up getting less....NOT the middle man but its always the farmer.

Blkbuckaroo said:
Even if you're trying to buy American it's hard to find on the shelf. :? :(

That is the truth here in Canada as well. We do what we can, raise most of our own food. Garden, chickens, beef etc. My wife buys local products when available and when we go out we go to places that are owned by folks that live locally and spend their money in the community. Kinda like that California wine, though. :wink:

per said:
Blkbuckaroo said:
Even if you're trying to buy American it's hard to find on the shelf. :? :(

That is the truth here in Canada as well. We do what we can, raise most of our own food. Garden, chickens, beef etc. My wife buys local products when available and when we go out we go to places that are owned by folks that live locally and spend their money in the community. Kinda like that California wine, though. :wink:
To bad it's so cold here we can't have a vineyard.We do like our California Napa & Sonoma county wines 8) Do you guys have Trader Joes in canada?They have a good wine selection,lots of good California organic wine :wink:Good to support your local producers and crafts people.

You haven't lived. They pick the grapes after freezing at of course exactly the right time. Next time you bring grapes home put a single layer of grapes on a plate and into the freezer for several hours. Then consume. Kind of sweetens them up.

Latest posts